Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Revell "double" parts-pack-based kit trio

Actually, there were a few detail tweaks done to the Parts Packs frames to improve the fit of the parts for assembly as a complete kit. I was surprised to find this out when I used the original parts packs as a source to build one of the cars in the Double Kits using the instructions from the latter, rather than the kit itself (due to the mega pricing cited above). I can't recall exactly what the changes were, but they were minor in nature.

TIM

yes there are differences but slight differences (I mean besides the chassis and parts trees not being chromed in the kits). 325 is not a bad price for all three as they are unopened inside and still fresh from the factory. I initially bid 100 or so just to see where the reserve was...it was higher than that. I already have these three kits so don't really need them, was just bidding for speculation sake and because I wanted to know how serious the early bidders were. fun times

jb

just went back and reviewed this auction...while the price is still pretty fair, that 50$ shipping charge, even from Switzerland, seems a bit rich. maybe not, but it does raise the price into a sort of not acceptable range in my mind. still, I suppose, considering the current market for those kits, not a terribly bad deal, one could maybe sell off two for the current price and keep one for free...maybe.

last one I bought was complete but all bags open and the box torn up, but I only paid about 60 USD for it, that was the mooneyes dragster one, pretty fair price I thought.

jb

Really, close to $400 for all 6 is pretty decent. I mean, that's only about $67 per virgin single-car-kit, if you look at it that way.

Another way to look at it is... how many parts-packs does it take to build each car? Engine, tires, wheels, frame, details (axles, mounts, etc.) and body. There are the equivalent of 8 parts-packs for each boxed double kit (I just counted mine), or 24 parts-packs total (the details, wheels, and tires packs have enough to do 2 cars...they typically did...and only one-each of the details tree, wheels tree and tires set is included for a 2-car package, and the rail-dragster frames have body panels included, so no extra body). Considering individual parts-packs are going for at least $25 each these days, buying them separately would set you back around $600, pre-shipping.

I think I just talked myself into it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I wonder why they wouldn't get these back together for a reissue.

My first guess is that the tooling is toast. The Caddy engine in the Revell '49 Merc isn't anywhere as nice as he old Caddy parts-pack, and the Hemi in the Revell '32 5-window inn't as nice as the old parts-pack version either. Seems like if those old tools still existed, Revell could have saved considerable $$ including those vintage trees in the respective kits, rather than tooling all new (and mediocre) versions.

thing is, like I pointed out, these kits regularly are available in the 100 - 120 dollar range and often cheaper. that's why I wouldn't pay much more than the current bid for them...and they are going to go up before the auction ends, thats my guess.

jb

My first guess is that the tooling is toast. The Caddy engine in the Revell '49 Merc isn't anywhere as nice as he old Caddy parts-pack, and the Hemi in the Revell '32 5-window inn't as nice as the old parts-pack version either. Seems like if those old tools still existed, Revell could have saved considerable $$ including those vintage trees in the respective kits, rather than tooling all new (and mediocre) versions.

As far as I know, the tooling for the four Parts Pack engines that were reissued by Revell in the late 1990's still exists. The tooling for the four motorcycles (BSA, Triumph, Honda, and Harley Chopper) still existed as of the late 1990's and was used for a run of test shots which have shown up - at least one time that I saw - on eBay at commensurate prices.

The Parts Pack 392 Hemi engine, as well as some of the Parts Pack chassis components and interior parts were repurposed for the Revell Miss Deal kit that was reissued once again just last year (the Hemi is identical to the original Parts Pack except for the exhaust headers, and possibly one other part IIRC). And one of the two Chevy engine Parts Packs was adapted for the modifications to the Revell '57 Chevy Bel Air kit that took place in 1968 and should still be present in the Roth reissue of this kit just a few months back.

But out of all these Parts Packs, from what I've observed, the ones that go for the highest bucks (other than the Harley Chopper) are the Roadster and Dragster Chassis/Speed Equiipment Parts Packs. Those are the two that I'd most like to see reissued in their entirety (along with the motorcycles)....

TIM

Revell should have jumped on the Biker craze & cashed in with those Parts pack bikes - I think they would've & still would sell really well ....... but then we would have heard how "impossible" they are to build, just like the Orange Crate, etc. ..... Which is ridiculous, in fact they build up to be great detailed pieces, tricky perhaps; but well worth it; once done right .

nothing wrong with those motorcycles either, I didn't have a big problem building one, and there was no damage from tires (a common problem with any "rubber" from back then).

nicerightsidefromfront.jpg

nicerightsidefromrear.jpg

jb

JB - nice build! Where did you get the decals?

My experiences are the same - have built the Harley Chopper and the Triumph - the latter several times. They were a little fiddly (especially the Harley) but nothing that a moderately experienced modeler couldn't handle easily....

Next up...the BSA! TIM

nothing wrong with those motorcycles either, I didn't have a big problem building one, and there was no damage from tires (a common problem with any "rubber" from back then).

jb

Those early Revell "plastic-eaters" have long since out-gassed all of their toxic gases. Any of them are safe now but I like to put a barrier of bare metal foil on them to be safe. Older Protar Motorcycle kits had the same issue.

>Where did you get the decals?

the Bonneville one on the side tank? out of my decal supply, which means I have no idea really. seems to me though that possibly one of the recent Revell 32s? then there is a rat fink one on the fender, the bike sits with the surfite and shack so its kinda roth themed. again don't know where it came from other than a kind fellow member here donated it.

thanks for the compliment tim! I am planning on building a triumph next to go with the AMT one I built a couple years ago.

jb

>Where did you get the decals?

the Bonneville one on the side tank? out of my decal supply, which means I have no idea really. seems to me though that possibly one of the recent Revell 32s? then there is a rat fink one on the fender, the bike sits with the surfite and shack so its kinda roth themed. again don't know where it came from other than a kind fellow member here donated it.

thanks for the compliment tim! I am planning on building a triumph next to go with the AMT one I built a couple years ago.

jb

JB....thanks for the response/info. I missed your AMT Triumph...is it possible you could repost photos or a link to same?

I am really fond of both the AMT and Revell Triumphs and have built a total of five of those combined....so far!