Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Revell "double" parts-pack-based kit trio

• 1 month later...

Those are cool. I'de definately buy at least one of each. I was never into street rods, only muscle cars but as I get older I'm starting to appreciate other things more. Seen alot of nice ones at the last Dream Cruise.

Edited by w451973

• 5 years later...

Still don't get why these can't be done.

Tire molds are intact.

Engine molds, T body,  presumably the others do as well, in fact I was told by the guy that runs and owns the spotty board years ago that they DID exist, but it required a "double pull" from the tooling to produce, and that was too costly.Waaaa?
Of course he also told me that there were no MPC funny car tools left in any way.

This was after a supposed inventory was done.

In any case, they could be done as new double kits, the "parts pack" thing seems to throw everyone for a loop!

Just  several trees as are all kits.

Nobody ever determines this one way or the other! These are high quality, pretty accurate models!

Just now, Greg Myers said:

Maybe with any luck Atlantis will find these

Does anybody know what went to them and what to RM Germany?
Did they make seperate deals? ANYBODY actually know.

Still, even if those tools are gone, they could be re created by 3d printing off the originals couldn't they?

IF companies are after the adult dollar, then make kits for adults.

We have RC2 and other reissues up the kazoo, enough already!

10 hours ago, GaryR said:

Does anybody know what went to them and what to RM Germany?
Did they make seperate deals? ANYBODY actually know.

The word is that any molds run in China in the last 20 years is now under control of Blitz (owners of Revell Germany and Revell USA)

Anything that was stored or run in the US was sold to Salvinos JR and Atlantis. 

So, I'm holding out hope that Atlantis ended up with the molds for the parts packs. Then they can either offer them up as originally packaged (as Round2 has had recent success doing with theirs), or offered as "kits" like these double kits featured in this thread.

11 hours ago, GaryR said:

Still, even if those tools are gone, they could be re created by 3d printing off the originals couldn't they?

Yes, they probably could. But the cost of cutting steel molds to actually make the kits is the $$$ part of the equation, which forces any company to decide whether the costs outweigh the demand. 

On 10/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

I wonder what the trailer was used for since it doesn't appear big enough to house the dragster

It might have hung over the back, so to speak. Hard to tell if this is the same trailer or not, but the rear fenders are similar:

Mooneyes-dragster.jpg.5ab60b50350dc1d1ee1a9a60da9ffd20.jpg

2 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Yes, they probably could. But the cost of cutting steel molds to actually make the kits is the $$$ part of the equation, which forces any company to decide whether the costs outweigh the demand. 

Of course, no offense meant, but why do guys always say this. I'm well aware that tooling costs money. Moebius seems to be able to spend money on new tooling, they do so by maximizing different versions. A good chunk of tool costs ( if they still exist) is already done. The parts packs have shown up in other kits, ie: Miss Deal.

Use stuff like that kit, the 22jrs, the SWC Willys.

If each tree is specialized as to what it contains, many, many variations could be done by combining them with other EXISTING products. Why tool a new Caddy motor for example. Revell has used those 10 inch M&H's since the early 60's.

Creativity and good business sense are hardly mutually exclusive!

24 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

...truth be told, there probably isn't a big market for them. 

Probably correct. Mostly only modelers who fall in the old-geezer mold, who have an interest in building historically and technically accurate models of rather obsolete subjects, and those who actually understand how a car works would be interested. Kinda limits the appeal.

Me? I'd buy multiples if they were ever brought back, but as I already have enough to last the rest of my life anyway (and the ability to make resin repops if I live long enough to run out), I won't lose any sleep either way.

"Mostly only modelers who fall in the old-geezer mold, who have an interest in building historically and technically accurate models of rather obsolete subjects,"

What's a big market?
Hudson Hornet?
Edsel?
Chrysler 300's?
65 Comets?

Who bought all the AMT funny car reissues?

Who buys resin?
So who is buying all these kits? Teens?  I doubt that.

The Moebius kits seem to do Ok , not a supercar among them is there? No Hondas or BMW's either.

These kits could be successful, nice packaging would help. Instead of double kits, they could be sold individually.

I think they'd do as well as any other kit.

1 hour ago, GaryR said:

What's a big market?
Hudson Hornet?
Edsel?
Chrysler 300's?
65 Comets?

Look at how many passenger cars are built, even here on this little ol' site, as opposed to how many historic or vintage drag-cars are built. Gassers mostly, some SS and AFX cars, a few funnies, very few vintage altereds or competition coupes or street-roadsters (the drag-racing class) or old front-engined, short-wheelbase rails, which is what these Revell kits are for.

That's all I'm saying. We old guys are constantly berated for living in the past, but lotsa stuff for building vintage drag cars (as above) is readily available pretty cheap on eBay, and we don't see many getting built.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

17 hours ago, GaryR said:

Of course, no offense meant, but why do guys always say this. I'm well aware that tooling costs money. Moebius seems to be able to spend money on new tooling, they do so by maximizing different versions. A good chunk of tool costs ( if they still exist) is already done.

"Why do guys always say this"??? Because that's the fact of the matter. No company who wants to be around very long goes forward with a plan knowing they will lose money. All I said was that it needs to make financial sense for them to proceed. Obviously, Moebius did that financial evaluation of their projects before they spent dollar one on tooling. And they are very forward thinking about how many different versions they can get out of their tooling, with minimal expense to make subsequent version factored into their decision making. They seem pretty savvy when it comes to this aspect of the financial analysis, which is what keeps them viable. I don't forsee any one and done kits in their business plan for automotive subjects 

And when talking about these parts packs specifically, if the tooling is sitting somewhere ready to go, I say RUN IT! If the tooling is ready (or requiring minimal cleanup or repair to be ready for production) with a small investment in packaging, marketing and materials, they have a viable product. But as soon as you get into cutting new molds, that's where the expense of the project escalates exponentially.