Model Cars Magazine Forum

The junk model gets an appropriate junk model drive train.

PA220053_zps71a3fa3e.jpg

This is a few of the parts that will make up the engine/trans, an AMT '90s F-150 351W block, an AOD from a Revellogram '32 Ford, and other stuff from the parts box. Valve covers undecided, I'll surprise myself there. 4x4s do better with less weight over the front axle, hence the small block.

Getting everything finalized on the chassis, added two more front shocks, made a steering damper with brackets, and built a simple steering box with pitman arm so the tie rod wouldn't hang out in space.

PA220052_zps9e563913.jpg

The divorced transfer case makes it easy to add about any engine/trans you want. A Fox double sump oil pan was the right shape for the cross member.

PA250055_zps256e9b80.jpg

The short wheelbase makes the two piece drive shaft with pillow block/center bearing unneeded.

PA250054_zps3a1c7000.jpg

Time to blow it apart for paint.

-MJS

Looking very nice and should be a great one when done.

I am surprised none of the resin casters have offered the corrected short bed and /or long bed along with the corresponding chassis for this kit, especially since it is readily available at places like Hobby Lobby!

Nice work on this 4x4, Mike. Love the attention to detail.

Maybe the corrected box for these trucks is a difficult one to cast but it's been a year since this kit was announced. Funny that the casters seem to not see the market for these parts and others as well, like the correct '79 bumper from the bronco or the bumper guards from the star truk...

mike

Mike, I like your delivery, I used to have a '61. This is mine:

MyFalcons001_zpsc251b82c.jpg

Few casters actually make their own masters, many if not most are made by modelers and submitted to the casters. I'm sure that most of the casters would like to offer a stock short bed, it's just a matter of someone doing the conversion work and sending it in.

-MJS

Roger, It was easy! I got them about 25 years ago from a club member who bought in bulk and sold at the meetings. I think they were 4 bucks. I'm a real pack rat. I suppose that doesn't help you much... But I know that one of the casters who posts here reproduces them in black flexible urethane rubber.

Mike, I like your delivery, I used to have a '61. This is mine:

Few casters actually make their own masters, many if not most are made by modelers and submitted to the casters. I'm sure that most of the casters would like to offer a stock short bed, it's just a matter of someone doing the conversion work and sending it in.

-MJS

Gorgeous ranchero. I dearly wish I could say that delivery is mine, Mike. Mine was identical, though, in dark green with a 260 3 spd. I'm working at finessing a JF '61 roof onto a trumpeter ranchero body (about the only thing worth salvage from that kit) right now.

P4294185_zps77b24974.jpg

(Sorry for the extra clutter in the pic)

Regarding the resin casting; I was under the impression Mr Ellifrit had a converted box almost ready to cast months ago...

The reissued revell torino has a nice dual exhaust that, with finessing, should be usable under many other projects and that 429 will make a nice stand-in for a 460 in an upcoming truck build B)

mike

Edited by mk11

Regarding the resin casting; I was under the impression Mr Ellifrit had a converted box almost ready to cast months ago...

The reissued revell torino has a nice dual exhaust that, with finessing, should be usable under many other projects and that 429 will make a nice stand-in for a 460 in an upcoming truck build B)

mike

Yes, he showed the conversion on a few sets of bed sides some time ago, all long beds with the original lower trim, said he still needed to do the inner panels, and that was the most recent update.

-Mike

Gorgeous ranchero. I dearly wish I could say that delivery is mine, Mike. Mine was identical, though, in dark green with a 260 3 spd. I'm working at finessing a JF '61 roof onto a trumpeter ranchero body (about the only thing worth salvage from that kit) right now.

Thanks Mike. I've got two of the Trumpeter Rancheros, and one will be a replica of mine some day. You're right, it will take a lot of kitbashing and part replacing to make it look even close to the 1:1. The Flinstone delivery is close, but the rear pillars of the roof are too upright, they need to be leaned forward at the top about 1.5 mm by the looks of it. The length and width could require some adjusting too.

-Mike

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Exhaust: The transfer case and front drive shaft made it near-impossible to route a clean dual system and not have it hang too low on the left, so I made a 2 to 1 single system with parts box exhaust parts and a 3" sprue tailpipe. The exit ahead of the rear wheel is standard off-road configuration.

PB140083_zpsac336963.jpg

PB140082_zps68845133.jpg

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace