Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Thanks again gentlemen!

To quote Ric Flair,

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I'll be doing the Rick Flair Woooo when this is done! Which shouldn't be too much longer now...

The clear coat Odyssey:

Since when is this step so much of a PITA??? I had an unopened can of Testors lacquer clear (non Wet Look, but what's the difference?) So I tried it on the spoon test. Came out OK, but spoons are easier to paint than model bodies. You have to try really hard to goof up a spoon. I did the hood, and it came out too thick, and the can was too low pressure to atomize it any better. I usually dip it into about 1" of simmering water for a minute to thin the paint and increase inter-cannular pressure, but I thought, "I'll just pop on down to H-Town and get a new can of Wet Look." Not so fast, Space Cowboy, see my thread on the demise of that store. So I went to H-Lobby instead, got the new can of WL, and tried it on the second Mica Blue spoon test. Horrors!!! The paint was contaminated, it looked like a thousand little dust specs in the finish, giving it a rough surface. I'm glad I did the spoon instead of the body. Stripping that monster at this stage is a death sentence to the whole project. And my laid-back persona. So I returned it to H-Lobby, bringing the spoon to show them the problem in case they asked. They didn't. I then went to H-Depot and did what I should have all along, buy a can of Tamiya clear. Surprise surprise, it goes on almost like a pro was wielding the can, and cuts and buffs far easier than Testors. The tail gate is done, the rest will be cleared tomorrow, cut and buffed a few days later.

The hood was a little scary with the Testors, but some careful sanding kit and Treatment Wax work salvaged it.

PA240049_zpswwhwhdv0.jpg

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: The hood, not so good.

I used Testors clear on the hood, Tamiya on the rest. The result: The hood was too dark. Not happy with that. So I stripped it, re-primered it with Plastikote and Tamiya, repainted it, and applied Tamiya clear this time. The result: Much more better. The Tamiya clear gives the Mica blue a deeper, slightly more ultramarine color, while the Testors made it more on the purple side.

I keep learning lessons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lesson learned, when you want the best, use Japanese paint products( Tamiya/Mr Hobby)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lesson learned, when you want the best, use Japanese paint products( Tamiya/Mr Hobby)

So says the Japanese Chamber of Commerce.   :P

 

Beautiful truck, Mike.  Beautiful!   B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, yeah.  That grille is perfect!    Ten thumbs up!   B)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...