Model Cars Magazine Forum

Minidreams 70 Caprice drop top Lowrider

David@MinidreamsInc.

I know Lowriders aren't everyones cup of tea but they have always been 1 of my strongest subjects in this hobby!

Here i took an AMT 70 impala hard top , wacked off the roof and reshaped the rear package tray and trunk lines to make a custom drop top . I left the rear trunk with the center dip cause i like the look over the flat lid that they have from the factory . The up top is from a Revell 65 Impala convertible that i cut down and reshaped ! It is a fully detailed .

The steering wheel , the rear club plaque, the exhaust, the wheels were all custom made aswhile . Enough of the BS heres a few pics to enjoy !

102_2011_zps857bcb5d.jpg

102_2012_zpsaf7aa0be.jpg

102_2013_zps5a5333dd.jpg

102_2014_zps78e3eb8a.jpg

102_2015_zpsc9aafe60.jpg

102_2016_zps18193ddf.jpg

Nice build's, nice work on the vert conversion and plumbing in the trunk too.

I love low riders myself, the challenge of getting them that low, properly, the amount of hinge work that usually goes into them and above all, the ability to pull off some of those magnificent paint schemes associated with them.

Great job.!!

I forgot to meantion that the skirts are a nice addition too. I guess you had to scratch build them? I don't remember any resin offerings.

Also, AMT made a convertible promo of this car but never a kit.

True, AMT didn't make a convertible in kit form but….MPC did. It isn't widely known, and rarely seen. It went by the title of "The Bat Machine", and from much of the box art, and description, appeared to be a custom only kit. It actually contained parts to build the stock 70 convertible. I have never seen anything but the box art, so I don't know if the kit had the correct flat trunk lid, or used the concave trunk lid of the Custom Coupe kit. I remember seeing a few of them on the store shelves back in 70, when I was 11 years old, but didn't think it could be built stock so, I never bought one. I did buy the MPC 70 Custom Coupe, and it still resides in my book shelf, unpainted, and glued together promo style, as I built it in 1970. Here is a link to the box art for the 70 convertible:

http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/bat_machine.html

Exnyman, I have the Bat Machine. It has the same trunk as the '69 MPC Impala convertible with indentation. Yes, had all the stock parts as well as skulls, spider webs ect.

The 1969 and 1970 AMT Impalas are a bit more correct as AMT got the promo contracts for both those two years. MPC used Impala twice on the side and no SS on the trunk. The AMT rear window is concaved like the real Custom Coupe was.

The biggest error in the '70 MPC Impala hardtop and '70 Impala convertible (Bat Machine) is that MPC didn't know GM dropped the bucket seats in the '70 Impala. The AMT kit replaced the buckets with a bench seat.