Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1961 Pontiac news

I am glad to see how nice these shots look. While some people got bent out of shape over the postings of the first shots, we can really see how the comments resulted in the fixing of a few trouble spots. The wheels really look better than they did at the start. This was in fourth place on my "Moebius interest list" after the Pickups, the Satellite and the Comet, but I am going to get a couple of these just because they look so nice. It also helps that I participated in the conversations and have been watching the evolution of this kit for many Months now. I will do at least one stock, and probably a drag version. When the Catalina comes out, I already found some pictures of a nice one from an auction. I will be building a couple of those too.

Great job, and thanks for letting us come along on the ride.

BTW I don't have to sneak them into the house because Cathie is out of the State for an extended stay taking care of family. I just have to get them blended into the rest of the collection so she doesn't notice when she gets back. One great trick is to set the box lids in the window for a while to fade them. Takes away that "New Kit Look"! If that fails, I just look down at her feet and say, "Nice shoes! Are those new?"

Luc,

Just buy half a dozen of them, WALK right in your front door, "Big and Bold as Brass" --for you and your son to work on! That should do it! (?) ;)

Art

Hmm, why didn't I think of that LOL

No seriously, my post was tongue in cheek, all the new Moebius kits are pre-ordered at my favorite dealer

Man I have been waiting for this model for a long time. Can't wait. Just one thing, and I don't want anyone thinking I'm looking for the fly s##t in the pepper , but the molding on the leading edge of the hood looks larger than I remembered. It maybe just the way it's foiled, but I remember this as a very thin molding. I can see that a great deal of work has gone into making this an exact kit.

Hmm, why didn't I think of that LOL

No seriously, my post was tongue in cheek, all the new Moebius kits are pre-ordered at my favorite dealer

I started out in this hobby having to sneak new model car kits in when Mom wasn't looking (even set some down in the window of the coal bin room of our old house, then carefully tiptoed in there to retrieve them when nobody was looking--then had to find ways of slipping them past a now ex-wife for 19 years. Added to the fun of the hobby I think!

Art

I think I can safely show this pic of corrections I made to an early test shot of the Ventura. This was done to help further illustrate what would be said to the folks in China needed to be corrected on the body shell, a visual aid if you will. Dave gave me the dimensional information needed--the bottom of the rear window, which also forms the "landing point" for the C-pillars and the alteration required to the quarter window sills came from Dave who diligently photographed and measured an actual restoration for reference.

The project meant filing down the bottom edge of the back glass, as well as re-cutting the seam between C-post and quarter panel, then leveling out the window sills on both sides. That also meant filing away the lower ends of the drain moldings and rear window moldings, and ultimately replacing those areas with strip styrene. Last, I had to put a fillet in the corner where the window sill curves upward to meet the C-pillar, then replace the chrome molding atop those sills. The rear window glass had to be "stretched" downward from its original bottom edge. After that, a few swipes of putty, some sanding and shaping, and finally a shot of grey primer to further show the shapes and contours. This took about a week and a half at an hour here, an hour there. It got sent to China by David, and I like to think that it helped expedite the process a bit, as yes, the tool shop did nail it.

At any rate, I now know I can correct the same problems that appeared on the first test shots of the Pontiac that also appear on the AMT '62 Chevy Bel Air "Bubbletop" and the Lindberg '61 Impala hardtop! So, I learned something too, eh?

1Venturatestshotmodifications3.jpg

I wasn't going to comment at first, but since Art and Don have already commented, I'll throw in my 2¢. ;)

MOST if not ALL of the problems that we complained about HAVE been fixed as I too saw the latest test shot and held it in my own two hands. The little "kickup" that's supposed to be there on all of the '61 B-Body Bubbletop C pillars is indeed there, and to my eyes, this one is now dead on right!

This is another MUST HAVE on my list and I'll try to squeeze this in on my Must Build kits as I want to have something "1961" in my built-up collection.

Be patient fellas, this one is not that far away from hitting the hobby shelves! ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

I wasn't going to comment at first, but since Art and Don have already commented, I'll throw in my 2¢. ;)

MOST if not ALL of the problems that we complained about HAVE been fixed as I too saw the latest test shot and held it in my own two hands. The little "kickup" that's supposed to be there on all of the '61 B-Body Bubbletop C pillars is indeed there, and to my eyes, this one is now dead on right!

This is another MUST HAVE on my list and I'll try to squeeze this in on my Must Build kits as I want to have something "1961" in my built-up collection.

Be patient fellas, this one is not that far away from hitting the hobby shelves! ;)

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see that, but if Bill and Art both say "done," then that's all the word I need to go get one.

Charlie Larkin