Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 67-72 Ford Pick-up news

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Another thread where I get suckered into hoping for news or a review, and all I get is guys posting how they can't wait for this or that. We all are waiting for these kits. But, I am also waiting for some substantial information in these kits. It is called the "news and reviews" threads after all. Come on guys. Write something, when there is something to write about.

Scott

Wow! Another thread where I get suckered into hoping for news or a review, and all I get is guys posting how they can't wait for this or that. We all are waiting for these kits. But, I am also waiting for some substantial information in these kits. It is called the "news and reviews" threads after all. Come on guys. Write something, when there is something to write about.

Scott

They're out, get one. Worth writing about?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine in today, and looked it over. I am very impressed. One of the best kits I've seen. I have to do my research, and I will write a review on it. Who knows, I may build it right away.

have you started it yet?

have you started it yet?

Yes I started it, and like most of the others here, I like what I have so far. At this point, I have it up on the wheels, and I did the panel adjustments (very minor). There are some feed tabs I want to address on the inside of the bed sides. It's been ultra humid here, so I have not done any paint work on it. I am trying to decide on a two-tone, or a solid color.

I built up The 6 cylinder engine, and it is currently residing under the hood. However, I am considering an eight cylinder power booster replacement, as the type of truck I want to build would be an odd ball with the 6.

I may work on it tonight. My plan is to build the truck I would have bought in 1969, if I had the funds.

I am building the short bed version. I have encountered some prominent sink marks, along the top of the bed sides and some at the rear side of the bed, on both sides. Also my cab has some distinct stress marks, indicating it was somewhat forcefully pulled from its mold.

Edited by my80malibu

Is anyone having an issue with the fit of the hood to cowl ?

The cowl is a lot lower than the hood on mine.

my hood fits ok...but there's nothing to hold it in place.

Again, it's my impression that this kit needed further "refinement" before they released it.

Inspecting my short bed tonight I found the hood & bed sides warped, and one inner fender well doing an impersonation of a Cheeto. The runner the hood came on is clearly warped in just the flow lines to the parts. I can't believe after 3+ years of fighting to get this kit out China managed to totally muck up the entire production process that bad.

In attempting to straighten the hood I already am developing a stress line in the plastic after the most minor attempts as it's the least warped of the parts.

Edited by niteowl7710

Inspecting my short bed tonight I found the hood & bed sides warped, and one inner fender well doing an impersonation of a Cheeto. The runner the hood came on is clearly warped in just the flow lines to the parts. I can't believe after 3+ years of fighting to get this kit out China managed to totally muck up the entire production process that bad.

In attempting to straighten the hood I already am developing a stress line in the plastic after the most minor attempts as it's the least warped of the parts.

I'm feeling lucky. After reading some of the molding nightmares you guys have had, mine came in pretty nicely. There's a touch of flash on a few parts that'll be clean up quickly with some sandpaper.

I haven't started building yet, but I haven't seen anything at all in playing with parts and dry-fitting that'll cause me too many problems.

Charlie Larkin

my hood fits ok...but there's nothing to hold it in place.

Again, it's my impression that this kit needed further "refinement" before they released it.

I glued tabs on my hood and glued it shut. I didn't feel up to the task of fixing everything under the hood. One could add some very small tabs or even pins to hold the hood in place. Have you seen how well the floor pan fits? :lol:

004_zpsyqia7cqq.jpg

003_zpsjqkjskud.jpg

It's only 4+ mms too narrow and 7 mms above the bottom of the cab. :rolleyes: Good thing no one looks at chassis details.

Heh, don't get me started on pickup kit floorpans. One of the things prompting me to try my hand at reviewing kits was how nobody mentioned AMT's '55 Cameo didn't even have one.

Production is evidently a mixed bag here. My first '71 had its cab smashed, and straightening it has left stress marks in the plastic - those don't worry me so much as whatever "ghost" bend might not reveal itself till the primer stage.

My '69 and my other '71 are pretty clean for warps. And from what I hear, that means I was pretty lucky.

One nice thing about the windshield design is that snapping it in does help straighten out whatever dip there might be at the forward part of the roof.

Seeing this thing go through its various contortions from mockup to production has been a real eye-opener for me.