Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 67-72 Ford Pick-up news

I wonder if that means the yet to be released but obvious 1968 model will be the long awaited 4wd version? If so, which engine and bed configuration will it be?

Flareside with a 302 would be nice. I would think that would represent a very typical truck of the era.

Charlie Larkin

Flareside with a 302 would be nice. I would think that would represent a very typical truck of the era.

Charlie Larkin

That may be true, but it seems the most typical '67-'72 you see today is the Camper Special version. These trucks had a higher survival rate due to the fact most were purchased as recreation vehicles when new.  I plan on converting my '71 F100 long bed kit to an F 250. Swapping out the 9" rear with a Dana 60,  adding 8 lug wheels, correct hubcaps are already available from the Model King '69 or 70 and add long 3 arm mirrors off the "Star Truck". Don't know the factory production numbers of the F100 vs F 250, but I'll bet they were very close. Everyone has different tastes in pickups, but I always liked 3/4 tons over 1/2 tons, they just look beefier all the way around.

• 2 weeks later...

That may be true, but it seems the most typical '67-'72 you see today is the Camper Special version. These trucks had a higher survival rate due to the fact Chrisere purchased as recreation vehicles when new.  I plan on converting my '71 F100 long bed kit to an F 250. Swapping out the 9" rear with a Dana 60,  adding 8 lug wheels, correct hubcaps are already available from the Model King '69 or 70 and add long 3 arm mirrors off the "Star Truck". Don't know the factory production numbers of the F100 vs F 250, but I'll bet they were very close. Everyone has different tastes in pickups, but I always liked 3/4 tons over 1/2 tons, they just look beefier all the way around.

Absolutely agree with ya....I want the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.there is enouch 1/2 tons out there and a 4 wheel drive option would be cool...and great........Chris

• 1 month later...

Looks like the 72 Sport Custom is a short bed with a small block Ford (302). I was hoping for a long bed with an SBF to build my dad's truck, looks like I have to buy another 71 but at least we have a different engine.

http://www.clubmoebius.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1220

Had traded messages with Dave at Moebius a week or two ago and he said these should be in the states by early June! I will be ordering a couple of them for sure.

I was messing around with one of the 69 short beds tonight and discovered that the wrecker bed from the Revell Midnite Cowboy kit fits the wheel base perfectly and looks right at home. Just have to get with Danny at Scenes Unlimited for some dually wheels and tires!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That may be true, but it seems the most typical '67-'72 you see today is the Camper Special version. These trucks had a higher survival rate due to the fact most were purchased as recreation vehicles when new. .......... Everyone has different tastes in pickups, but I always liked 3/4 tons over 1/2 tons, they just look beefier all the way around.

Case in point.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-250-XLT-CAMPER-SPECIAL-/142008656245?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2110602175:g:pEMAAOSwEOxXQimP&item=142008656245

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen production numbers on the Moebius kits? I know the Model King kits say they were each a run of 5000. Since the '69 is pretty much gone even on ebay, and the '70 is already becoming scarce at my regular online sellers I'm guessing they have sold well. The '71 is still in stock everywhere so I assume it was produced in much larger numbers or is in continuous production, and of course the '72 just came out.

I've got a '71 on the bench, a '69 and '71 in the stash, a '70 and '72 are currently in the mail to me. I'm hoping these kits have done well enough for Moebius to consider another pickup in the future. Still hoping for additional options from the Fords as well, 4x4, flareside, and different combos of the existing kits. Not sure if F250/350 versions are feasible without a large amount of retooling but that would be nice as I do prefer the heavier trucks over 1/2 tons.

Has anyone seen production numbers on the Moebius kits? I know the Model King kits say they were each a run of 5000. Since the '69 is pretty much gone even on ebay, and the '70 is already becoming scarce at my regular online sellers I'm guessing they have sold well. The '71 is still in stock everywhere so I assume it was produced in much larger numbers or is in continuous production, and of course the '72 just came out.

I've got a '71 on the bench, a '69 and '71 in the stash, a '70 and '72 are currently in the mail to me. I'm hoping these kits have done well enough for Moebius to consider another pickup in the future. Still hoping for additional options from the Fords as well, 4x4, flareside, and different combos of the existing kits. Not sure if F250/350 versions are feasible without a large amount of retooling but that would be nice as I do prefer the heavier trucks over 1/2 tons.

I am with you Aaron, would love to see the 4wd option along with a F250/350. I have plans to replicate my dad's F250 as soon as Scenes Unlimited has those new truck tires ready using the '71 longbed kit.

I think a new set of wheels and tires for the longbed kit would probably suffice for a F250.

Still hoping for additional options from the Fords as well, 4x4, flareside, and different combos of the existing kits. Not sure if F250/350 versions are feasible without a large amount of retooling but that would be nice as I do prefer the heavier trucks over 1/2 tons.

Looks like they have a dana mastered...

and the F250 hubcaps are already in the kits; very little you need other than wheels/tires as was stated. Don't expect a flareside, as you can source that box from any amt or revell '53-'56 F100.

mike

Yes, got mine to. I was surprised to see the 3 spoke steering wheel in there, oh well, nice to see one of my favorite grills.

I just got it and noticed this too.....  the '72 steering wheel should be the '71 style steering wheel? If i'm correct?

These are the small things when dropping $35 for a kit are a tiny bit annoying. 

I assume this is made from the 69/70 because of the short bed.... but they have the 302 in there which is new.... so that is just poor quality control / oversight / rushing etc etc

I love the moebius kits and the quality is great so to me it makes these little hiccups stand out more 

Danny is a good man and makes great products.does anyone make a good dana 70 and the badges for f250 or f350 in 24th,25th scales?........Chris 

Model Car Garage has the F100/250/350 badges on their photoetch sheet...

mike

15mcgrg6772frd.jpg

Edited by mk11

The 72 should have the same steering wheel as the 71. It is also a little annoying the box art shows the trim correct (there is a piece behind the rear wheels) but the box truck and the kit are missing this piece. Oh well, I guess it gives me an excuse to start minor resin casting. I needed a long bed 72 anyway so I guess I will buy another 71.

The 69 and 70 kits were limited to 5,000. I have heard the 71 and 72 are not limited edition, but one seller on eBay claims the 72 is limited to 4,000. I doubt that.

The 72 should have the same steering wheel as the 71. It is also a little annoying the box art shows the trim correct (there is a piece behind the rear wheels) but the box truck and the kit are missing this piece. Oh well, I guess it gives me an excuse to start minor resin casting. I needed a long bed 72 anyway so I guess I will buy another 71.

Has anyone tried to scratch build the trim that should be behind the rear wheels? I've been looking at it maybe a sheet of styrene, then scoring it? Just not sure if there is anything thin enough...

I'm going to try a couple things... if it looks half decent I'll post pics..

I emailed Moebius recently and asked about F250/350s and dually versions.

Their response.... "No current plans to offer that but I will pass along the idea, thanks!"

Keep in mind that, IIRC, a factory dually pickup wasn't really offered until the Seventh Generation F-Series. This and the Sixth Generation ('73-'79) would have offered dually cab and chassis models or stake beds, but any pickup beds were aftermarket conversions. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

I picked up a '72 today and noticed a few differences. First being the colour of the plastic, which is a sort of tan colour like the test shots rather than the grey of the previous issues. Not sure if this means anything or not. This kit appears to share most of its parts with the '69 and '70 kits, changing the grille, interior, and door panels appropriately. Biggest change is the small-block Ford engine, the first such offering from Moebius (but probably shared with the upcoming Mercury Comet).

Edited by kataranga

Might be an option to fix the rear if you want to keep the trim and have it correct..... a quick mockup using white glue and .020 round (the round looks better than the square IMO) 

I need to spend more time with it but i figure it is close... maybe some better cut

1969_ford_f100_08.jpg

20160629_205136.jpg

Looks like they have a dana mastered...

The chassis and running gear seems to have been mostly derived from the old AMT F350.  That would explain why the Moebius test shots had a Dana axle, the front suspension radius arms mounting outboard of the frame rails the same way as the AMT (should be inboard) and the near-identical parts breakdown and patterns of the FE engine and transmission.