Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 67-72 Ford Pick-up news

Has anyone tried to scratch build the trim that should be behind the rear wheels? I've been looking at it maybe a sheet of styrene, then scoring it? Just not sure if there is anything thin enough...

I'm going to try a couple things... if it looks half decent I'll post pics..

I did the trim on my '69.

MAMA%20Meeting%20July%2018%202015%20025_It was not too difficult. I was surprised that it was not there, because when I did the research, the mouldings were there. The next one I do will be a 2-tone paint truck with a white roof. I really like the kit.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Kind of funny, Today, I purchased a '71 Ranger XLT pickup. I could have gotten the '70, or the '72, but I bought the '71 because it is the only long bed in the series, and I wanted the sport wheel covers for a '70 Ford XL project I plan to do, and they are the only ones available in scale. The kit will also yield the proper wheelbase for another project, the restoration of an AMT '76 Ford F350,

MAMAOctober182014030_zpsffd83a69.jpg

MAMAOctober182014042_zps846ec173.jpg

where I want to re-do the wheelbase on the chassis and bed, I started on the restoration by correcting the windshield, and cleaning it up. Now I can properly cut the chassis and bed, as well as make up the bed inners, using the Mobieus kit as a guide. I have seen a few of the AMT kits re-done, as well as several of the Mobieus kits built, and I can say they are very nice when properly built. I am happy with my '69.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

The  AMT Ford F 350 super camper special 16.5" tires with stock full wheelcovers or slot aluminum  wheels are period correct for '71 and '72 F 250's. I believe the 16.5" Goodyear Hi Milers are the only 16.5" truck tire ever made in 1/25 scale. The Moebius '69 and '70  F 100 stock hubcaps can be  correctly used on  F 350 super camper specials, if you find a stock plain 8 lug rim.

Edited by leafsprings

The  AMT Ford F 350 super camper special 16.5" tires with stock full wheelcovers or slot aluminum  wheels are period correct for '71 and '72 F 250's. I believe the 16.5" Goodyear Hi Milers are the only 16.5" truck tire ever made in 1/25 scale. The Moebius '69 and '70  F 100 stock hubcaps can be  correctly used on  F 350 super camper specials, if you find a stock plain 8 lug rim.

Danny at Scenes Unlimited has some 8 lug wheels and he is working on some resin tires.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shouldn't we be hearing about the next version of this truck from Moebius about now? I am thinking the 4wd truck HAS to be the next one in the series, question is what model year will it be? Long bed? Half-ton or 3/4 ton?

me to Mike......Chris

• 5 weeks later...

I am not buying models any more, but that could break me.  I actually flinched when I saw that picture!

Moebius...  Build it and we will buy

I like that longbed '67 so much that I would buy it without hesitation.  A neighbor had one of those in Dark Green (Ex D.N.R. Game Warden truck) and I remember the tires humming all the way up the road.  You always knew when Mr. Young was driving home!  Those old '60s 4wds weren't quiet, between the transmission noise and the tire whine.   That truck had a signature sound, even though the engine was quiet as a whisper.  Ironically, the neighbor was a retired G.M. engineer!  He knew a good deal, though.  When the State auctioned off a bunch of vehicles, he picked off the one with the fewest miles and a cosmetic scrape that he could fix.  The scrape kept the price down and he got a nice truck for a nice price.  He was driving the truck when we moved into that neighborhood back in 1973, and he still had it in 1983 when I graduated High School.  I came back from College and travelling work in 1993, and bought a house right up the road.  A few days later, I heard the truck go by.  The tires are a bit quieter, but the truck still had the same sound.  He drove it a couple more years, then had to quit driving.  

His Son would come up every weekend and take him and the truck to the store.  A couple of times, when his Son couldn't come up, I would take him to the store.  We took my car at first, but later, he wanted to make sure his truck got driven once in a while, so I got to drive it a few times.  

That thing was a total pig to drive!  Turning radius of a school bus  (And I mean a full sized bus, not the little one I rode :P)  It rode like a buckboard, took a 200 pound guy standing on the brakes to stop and steered harder than a Dump truck.  The clutch was stiffer than most semi trucks I have driven,  with  about a 1/2" range from where it started to engage and where it locked up and lurched the motor.  There was no heat in the winter, but you baked in the Summer.  The black vinyl seats would scorch or freeze you, depending upon the season.  The seats were hard as a rock, and if you took a corner at half the posted speed, you would slide across the bench on that slick 30 year old vinyl until one of the springs caught you in the rear end and impaled you to a stop!  I was in love with that truck!  It was in great shape, garaged its whole life, no rust or dents, perfectly maintained and a rolling history lesson.  It reminded me that pickup trucks have't always been posh cruisers.  They used to work for a living.  Sometime in the late '90s, I helped him hitch up his old boat (In pretty much the same condition as the truck...  Old but functional) and we spent the day fishing out on Houghton Lake.  His Son came up and met us at the boat launch, and we all had a great day on the water.  

A year or so later, he had to move to a home.  He had suffered problems after cancer surgery, and he went downhill fast.  He only lasted a few Weeks in the nursing home.  I told his Son I would make an offer on the truck and boat if he chose to sell them, but I knew he would hang on to both of them.  

About five years ago, his Son dropped by to see if I wanted to go fishing with him.  We walked out to the truck and to my surprise, he tossed me the keys and asked me if I wanted to drive it again for old times sake!  It's only 3/4 of a mile from my house to the boat launch, but it was really cool to drive it again.  The Son hadn't done anything to either the truck or boat, except to keep them garaged, covered and well maintained.  He fixed what needed to be fixed, like a new clutch and fresh tires, but he hasn't touched the paint, interior or anything like that.  He still has the A.M. radio tuned to the Public Radio oldies station.  (The old man must have had the radio added, because the State of Michigan would not pay for a radio in any of its vehicles back then!    If Moebuis releases the '67 4X4 Longbed, looking just like that one in the picture, I will buy it and build the legend!  (And I might even try to scratchbuild the boat!)  I  might even make three figures to go in the boat, and a huge fish to remind us of...  okay.... a little tiny fish to remind us of that day on the water.  I would actually have to build two trucks, one for me and one for his Son...    

Do it Moebius!  I dare you!  DO IT!!!!

Glad you found this truck inspiring Dave, bringing back memories, that's what its all about. I'm sure Moebius has done well with the series, I want it to get even better. I would like to see a nice 4x4 chassis too ( 1/2 or 3/4 ton), 4 speed granny transmission, 16" stock wheels on  period mud and snows  and western type mirrors.  I'm sick of the fat oversize tires and mag wheels that plague practically every 4x4 kit ever made. Lets get serious on this one.

Remember that a coupe of years ago, photo's were posted from test shots, from the then still in development Moebius Ford pickup, and it included a 4x4 set up.

It's time that they release the 4x4, it's the one I wanted from day one, but got all 4x2 releases up until now too.

Luc

Combination of two factors at this point.  Wanting to save the "best" for last, and then having such a long delay in getting these to market, they promptly oversaturated it with near identical kits, particularly short beds.  Burkett might be running off more '69s, but that's because they're pretty much sold out, and there's still a decent demand (based on what local shops tell me) for the '69 specifically.  They can't move the '71 Custom Sports for anything.

The 4x4 is what everyone wants, but they have to be leery (and deservedly so) of how well it would really perform 18 months into 4 of effectively the same kit being pushed out.

You're right; it may have served them better to include the 302 in the '70 and supply the 4x4 parts with a 390 in the '72 sport custom, capturing the extra sales this season. The incorrect copy on the sport custom box and wrong steering wheel aren't exactly flattering either. 'Tis water under the bridge, though, and we can look forward to what's next on the list.

mike

Edited by mk11

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I just grateful to get anything in the forgotten '67 thru '72 era. Just getting a normal wheelbase 8' or 6 1/2'  Styleside in a 70's Ford pickup is a first! Thankyou Mobius!  I personally like the 8' longbeds, they can be transformed into  beefier F 250's as well.

Edited by leafsprings

Combination of two factors at this point.  Wanting to save the "best" for last, and then having such a long delay in getting these to market, they promptly oversaturated it with near identical kits, particularly short beds.  Burkett might be running off more '69s, but that's because they're pretty much sold out, and there's still a decent demand (based on what local shops tell me) for the '69 specifically.  They can't move the '71 Custom Sports for anything.

The 4x4 is what everyone wants, but they have to be leery (and deservedly so) of how well it would really perform 18 months into 4 of effectively the same kit being pushed out.

The 71 has done alright and still does alright, it's the 72 that's hard to move. 

The 71 has done alright and still does alright, it's the 72 that's hard to move. 

There isn't enough difference between the 71 and 72 to justify buying one, especially if you already have a 69 and 70 as well. They should have made the 72 the first 4x4, they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves if they had.

There isn't enough difference between the 71 and 72 to justify buying one, especially if you already have a 69 and 70 as well. They should have made the 72 the first 4x4, they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves if they had.

That's what I said, too.  72 should have been the 4x4.  Now whatever 4x4 they do will be a year they've already done as I don't think the 67 and 68 were in the plan.  

That's what I said, too.  72 should have been the 4x4.  Now whatever 4x4 they do will be a year they've already done as I don't think the 67 and 68 were in the plan.  

I agree, now they saturated the market, and when the 4x4s finally come out, they could very well become shelf sitters :(

Or they will have to dress them up, with optional aftermarket wheels, camper top / roll bar etc....;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

I agree, now they saturated the market, and when the 4x4s finally come out, they could very well become shelf sitters :(

Or they will have to dress them up, with optional aftermarket wheels, camper top / roll bar etc....;)

Yep, because I've already bought 5 kits of practically the same truck so they'll need to bring something else to the party to get me to buy more than one or two of the 4xx4 now.

If they offer a long bed in 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 livery, it could potentially sell fairly well as it would represent something new and different enough to get people to buy them. The 72 will probably hang around for awhile as it isn't much different from the 71. 

I hope we see the 4x4 version sooner rather than later, I have been wanting one since the pictures were released showing the front axle sprue.

From what I remember of the pic, the 4x4 pieces are for the half-ton chassis.  I know guys using the amt stones truck front diff parts, as there will probably be little difference. For an F250/350, the ramcharger axles would be great with a little work.

mike

Edited by mk11