Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

32016884605_6d9a0ed0ba_b.jpg

Ok, I couldn't wait any longer, so I bit the bullet and just ordered one of these off eBay! Chris from what I can see looking at your pic here, IMO it may be more than just filing the trim and putting in new arc for the roofline. I sure hope I'm wrong but it could be that the quarter windows may be a bit short, and that's why the curve starts at the trailing edge of the driver's window, instead of starting at the leading edge of the rear quarter window itself.

I guess you could repeat that same arc for the trim to fix that, but then you'd run the risk of making the whole C pillar too narrow, thus throwing off the looks of the roofline. My solution if this is the case? Move the entire roof section back a whole scale inch which may make the tulip panel a bit narrower, but at least you'd make the quarter window a scooch longer, and preserve the profile of the C pillar. Of course, now you'd have to fill in the void with plastic and putty, on top of replacing the missing trim with strip styrene. This is involved for sure I know.

I know some of you out there are rolling your eyes and thinking a "so what", but again I need to have the kit in 3D in my own hands to say for sure. From what I can see though with the pic presented, that looks to be the case. 

Yeah I know I get carried away------------that's just me and I know some will leave it as is, and that's OK! :P

I keep coming back to the pic above, and the more I look at it, the more I'm inclined to think that the radius itself could stand to be a bit tighter. Of course getting the radii symmetrical on both sides will be the trick in getting this the way you want.

I'm trying to gather up reference pics, and the more I look at the 1:1's the more I'm inclined to think that may be the case with the radius of the upper quarter window.

Perhaps making some kind of template would be in order? Just the same, I'll have the kit in a few days, and I may tinker around with this one, kinda like I did months ago with their '61 Pontiac and the window difficulty. 

Well, kind of of nit picking...but looking at photos, looks like the roofline itself is slightly more rounded? That leads to the window opening following the contour and differing from the real deal. 

It really is minor and wouldn't have noticed with my own eye...

IMG_4574.PNG

Good catch Erik! I hadn't noticed that the crease in the upper part of the roof was a bit rounded too. As I mentioned, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage as I don't have the kit in front of me to make a personal judgement of its shape.

I'll have a better advantage in the coming days when I should have the kit here in 3D. As it looks, I think the plane of that could be left alone, and if it were me building it, I'd focus more on correcting the radius in the window line.

I just picked the kit up Friday, finishing up another model, then I'll take a closer look at the Comet. I love seeing new material and this kit looks really cool. The roofline I wouldn't have noticed as I've never seen one in real life, but the discussion piqued my interest. 

The couple things I noticed were the wheels (mags look nice, but the steel wheels - meh) and there is a bit of flash for a brand new tool. The engine looks a little better in person than the photos led me to believe - outside of the molded in oil filter and the very simplistic exhaust manifolds. 

Edited by Erik Smith
spell check

Thank's for the photo's Erik. They help.

Others may know more, but I believe that the 'steel wheels' are in fact a hubcap that Mercury used on the Comet. They mimicked the look of a steel wheel but were not. Ask the experts though, as I may be incorrect.

BTW the Mags do look great.

Thank's for the photo's Erik. They help.

Others may know more, but I believe that the 'steel wheels' are in fact a hubcap that Mercury used on the Comet. They mimicked the look of a steel wheel but were not. Ask the experts though, as I may be incorrect.

BTW the Mags do look great.

Alan,Yes those are steel wheel lookalike hubcaps. Used on '64,'65,'66,'67 Cyclones. I've also seen them appear on '66 Australian Falcons as well.

'64 GTO's had a similar wheel cover that looked better IMO.

Myron_

Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 3.48.23 PM.png

Went to 3 local hobby stores today hoping to find Moebius' new '65 Cyclone kit. None had it. So, I had to buy an MPC Rupp Roadster Mini-Bike instead. Which is good. But, I still want a Cyclone. Hopefully soon.

Scott

We had six arrive the Friday before Christmas, and as of yesterday when I went off the floor, we only had one left. I had to stop in for a few minutes today, but I didn't notice if we had any left. 

It's been a very good seller, we'll probably try to keep two on the shelf for the next couple of months to meet demand.

Charlie Larkin

We had six arrive the Friday before Christmas, and as of yesterday when I went off the floor, we only had one left. I had to stop in for a few minutes today, but I didn't notice if we had any left. 

It's been a very good seller, we'll probably try to keep two on the shelf for the next couple of months to meet demand.

Charlie Larkin

Still aren't any in the Metro Detroit area to be had.

Curious- how is that identified?

Charlie Larkin

Charlie - they are alphabetical by first letter of county - if they start with same letter, first alphabetically is 1 next is 2. So Bear County is 2B - the second B county. I work in 3B - Benewah, but we're a long ways from 2B, about 600 miles!  

Couple photos:

Wheels 

Some weird finish on wheel molding, both sides have it

Detail on top of seats is soft

Chassis is nice - no pin marks on bottom

Super nice under hood - no pin marks!!

I may start on this soon than later and see how it builds up...

IMG_4582.JPG

IMG_4581.JPG

IMG_4580.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4576.JPG

IMG_4575.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

What brand of wheel is that five spoke. I have never seen one in, 1-1 with a ball bearing for a cap before.

They kind of look like Cragar S/S rims with Cragar 377 Series Supreme center caps, or a custom center cap.

I agree. I wish that the Model Manufacturers would use the company's logos again. The Cragar S/S logo would look very good on the wheel That is a nice wheel casting, that I will use on another build..

Charlie - they are alphabetical by first letter of county - if they start with same letter, first alphabetically is 1 next is 2. So Bear County is 2B - the second B county. I work in 3B - Benewah, but we're a long ways from 2B, about 600 miles!  

Interesting, I never knew about this so I googled abit and found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Idaho
My 65 Dodge D100 was sold new in St. Anthony, Idaho and that belongs to Fremont County so that would have had a licence plate starting with 2F and as Chris states they should be green with white letters (if the wikipedia is correct that it is)

I agree. I wish that the Model Manufacturers would use the company's logos again. The Cragar S/S logo would look very good on the wheel That is a nice wheel casting, that I will use on another build..

Probably didn't want to pay licensing fees.... like with tires.

Cyclone wheels did NOT have Cragar center caps they had Cyclone center caps.  Generic centers allow us to use wheels in other applications down the road..

16.png

Think the engraving would be so fine, that it will be lost under the plating undercoat, if the market demands, a decal would be the way to go IMHO

IIRC cyclone wheels were an aftermarket manufacturer. Owned by Fenton. If someone could send me a high resolution jpg of just the center cap I can probably reduce it down to proper size and reproduce a decal. PM me. free decal will be offerd for a SASE

Art I agree with you when you say about about closing one eye about looking at things to get a perspective on things. I have found that out quite by accident from my eye injuries, However I do believe the rear quarter window is in the wrong position and the drip rail needs rework. And I think the rear roof curvature is a bit too abrupt causesing the c pillar to look a bit odd. I'm not sold on the inner front wheel wheels either. I'm knot nocking the kit I still like it can't wait to building it .I  just got a lot of projects on the bench and want to gather a lot of parts to build a pro touring version. And see what other people are building and learning along the way. I'm looking forward to the SOHC version. I did a little experimenting, playing with parts box pars and found the Tublar Arm package from the LX mustang and the Floor pan fromthe trumpeter Falcon would be nice upgrades and would give some additional chassis options with simple mods for a pro touring version. giving a wider rear tubs, updated front suspension and more spacious trans tunnel. now looking to source a nice 9 inch and 3 or four link with coil oversthink interior will be sport seats with the seat pattern from the original comet molded in. wheels will be 1/24th 70 mustang 5 spokes with low pro tires to look like taller wheels.

• 2 weeks later...