Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

Dito. The above Cyclone looks very nice.  I'm a little curious though. Does anybody know what those two things are on the panel between the trunk and the rear window?

Scott

Chrome trim.   Apparently something Cyclone specific, googling turned up pics of regular '65 Comets without them. 

Chrome trim.   Apparently something Cyclone specific, googling turned up pics of regular '65 Comets without them. 

They're not Cyclone specific - I know for sure the Caliente had them as well; so maybe they're hardtop specific? I suspect some of the cars one sees (on Google Images, for example) are "resto-mods" that have had some trim removed (as I'm doing on my build).

They're not Cyclone specific - I know for sure the Caliente had them as well; so maybe they're hardtop specific? I suspect some of the cars one sees (on Google Images, for example) are "resto-mods" that have had some trim removed (as I'm doing on my build).

Could be..I've seen pics of hardtops without them....maybe it's documented in some obscure Comet reference.    

Edited by Rob Hall

Looking at the above pictures, I'm guessing that the chrome pieces between the trunk lid and the rear window, are just there for looks. In the 50's and 60's stylist loved putting fake vents in different locations on cars. The above love like they are one of those fake vents, that somebody FoMoCo at the time thought looks cool. It's a weird one. But, I like it.

Scott

They go w/ the fake vents on the front fenders (the Buick-like rectangles).    I can't tell from the photos, but do they cover a seam?  Some cars of that era had visible seams where the tulip panel joined to the rear quarters...

Edited by Rob Hall

They go w/ the fake vents on the front fenders (the Buick-like rectangles).    I can't tell from the photos, but do they cover a seam?  Some cars of that era had visible seams where the tulip panel joined to the rear quarters...

That's what I asked.

They are on the Caliente convertibles as well.. I have photos.

I don't think that there were Hardtops available with trim levels below Caliente, and I don't think that Cyclones were available as convertibles..

65merc40452-2.jpg

You're certainly correct regarding the trim levels, Dave, but I'm betting the chrome was added by the owner of that Caliente ragtop. Neither the ragtop nor the hardtop Caliente shown in my '65 Comet brochure show those pieces. The Cyclone pics are not drawn in a way to show them and there's no mention in the text. However, in my FoMoCo/Rotunda '65 collision parts guide, the trim drawings do show them only on the Cyclone.

mike

edit- I guess we know the brochures don't always tell the full story... found no Caliente hardtop pics with the extra chrome but a half dozen ragtops with it despite no reference in either the collision guide(printed may '65) or the brochure. 

Most important line in the brochure- "Ford Motor Company reserves the right to change specifications or designs at any time without notice..." ^_^

P1018318.JPG

Edited by mk11

Best pic I could get for you. 

If anyone needs some detail clarified, I'll see what I can do getting some close up pics of something Cyclone related.

Myron_

IMG_1586.jpg

Forgive me, Myron, but that first pic makes it look like that piece was installed backwards on the wrong side ... :blink:

mike 

Edited by mk11

Looks like a great kit as I saw it at my local hobby shop the other day. Originally I was going to get one when they were released, but changed my mind as I already have too much to build. However I'm looking forward to the California Flash kit and hopefully some AWB Mopar kits in the future.

edit- I guess we know the brochures don't always tell the full story... found no Caliente hardtop pics with the extra chrome but a half dozen ragtops with it despite no reference in either the collision guide(printed may '65) or the brochure. 

Most important line in the brochure- "Ford Motor Company reserves the right to change specifications or designs at any time without notice..." ^_^

Like I said earlier, our very original Caliente hardtop had them. No pictures, but I can remember looking at them and wondering why they were there.

Fellow SDMCC member put this one together straight out the box. Looks like a nice kit! 

CCKit1_zpsyz8eyv8f.jpg

CCkit_zpsaoz45jaz.jpg

This is a beautiful looking model.

I have the kit, received it last week, the only thing that concerns me and I noticed this on the original built up test shot, is the ride height, has anyone else noticed this?, to me it sits too high front and rear, I hope it can be easily adjusted.

This is a beautiful looking model.

I have the kit, received it last week, the only thing that concerns me and I noticed this on the original built up test shot, is the ride height, has anyone else noticed this?, to me it sits too high front and rear, I hope it can be easily adjusted.

I think it's been mentioned in this thread before - and I tend to agree - that it sits just a little high, but it shouldn't be hard to adjust. We also tend to forget that these cars sat a little higher than is now the current fashion when they were brand new, despite how they looked in the sales brochure illustrations.

I think it's been mentioned in this thread before - and I tend to agree - that it sits just a little high, but it shouldn't be hard to adjust. We also tend to forget that these cars sat a little higher than is now the current fashion when they were brand new, despite how they looked in the sales brochure illustrations.

Very true Steve, I'm remembering the brochure shot, the box cover art, and the cars pretty low. To be honest I haven't fiddled around with the kit yet, Im pretty sure it can be adjusted without to much of an issue.