Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

I'm probably going to build my Comet Cyclone using the mag wheels but I'd like to transform the kit's tires into Black-walls on both sides.  

Is there an easy way to remove the White sidewalls printed onto these tires without doing damage to the tires?

The best way I have found to cleanly remove these whitewalls is with Tamiya lacquer thinner. I tried to remove a whitewall with nail polish remover, and it smeared the white over the sidewall without removing it. Hope this helps.

Regarding stance, here are photos of a Caliente we photographed at the Auburn Auction back in 2010! 

That car stood pretty tall.. and seemed to be fairly much factory stock..

Probably had 15 inch wheels and larger than factory rubber on it... still - ride height is not low..

These photos were used as reference along with many others to determine ride height for kit..

IMG_0478-vi.jpg

DSC03806.JPG

IMG_0479-vi.jpg

IMG_0447-vi.jpg

DSC03798.JPG

I agree, Dave - that looks like factory ride height, and it's not anything I have any real quibble with regarding the kit. I think to our modern tastes the '65 tends to look a little high in the front - I think that is partially due to the vertical headlights and corresponding fenders. 

In any case, ride height is something that is fairly easily adjusted to suit one's taste. I'm going to lower mine anyway because I'm not going for a factory stock build.

This is a beautiful looking model.

I have the kit, received it last week, the only thing that concerns me and I noticed this on the original built up test shot, is the ride height, has anyone else noticed this?, to me it sits too high front and rear, I hope it can be easily adjusted.

The Comets did tend to sit high, especially with fresh leaf springs in the rear. When I bought both my 1:1 Comets, they rode very low in the back, but a spring change mad them sit up. This look doesn't last long though, unless you add some extra leaves; my Caliente still rides high after nearly 30 years, while my wagon, which had new springs made to the original spec, has regained its backwards rake after only 5 years. 

I sure love this one.my friend showed up with a gift. .this kit.can't wait to get to start the build. there is a few going on righy now thay need to be finished first.thanks to Dave M and Moebius.....Chris 

I was going to add a picture.but the site says it has to be a 10.kb picture.I don't know how to do that,so no picyure..sides you all know what it looks like.

Edited by Nova-ss
added picture

• 4 years later...
On 1/1/2017 at 5:01 PM, Erik Smith said:

Well, kind of of nit picking...but looking at photos, looks like the roofline itself is slightly more rounded? That leads to the window opening following the contour and differing from the real deal. 

It really is minor and wouldn't have noticed with my own eye...

IMG_4574.PNG

The amt '64 is similar in that area IIRC