Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

Guys, I just pulled out my '65 Comet sales brochure, the roof line on the model is correct for the Cyclone, is slightly different than the Caliente pictured.

I don't believe there is any difference between the roof of a Cyclone and a Caliente - both are 2 door hardtops. There were 202 and 404 two door sedans.

Edited by RancheroSteve

The Cyclone looks great. Just curious, I thought the Cyclone had the hood with the two square scoops on the leading edge of the hood. Was this optional or was it on a different model?

The two scoop fiberglass hood was a drag race part and wasn't originally used on street cars. Cyclones had the same hood as the other Comet models.

The two scoop fiberglass hood was a drag race part and wasn't originally used on street cars. Cyclones had the same hood as the other Comet models.

Well, I'll revise that slightly - I just read that the fiberglass twin scoop hood was available as a mid-year "limited option". But to reiterate, it wasn't the standard Cyclone hood.

Edited by RancheroSteve

Yep It's Olive Mist. thanks to Bob's paints for the paint..  I just finished Bare metal foil... plenty of details to foil - but not the worst I've had to do. Some minor fit issues seem to show up when I actually get one all painted and do the final assembly...

I'll be sending a few notes and photos to the factory to clean up a couple minor items,,,

Kit will have both sets of wheels. Flat hood only on street car...

This is a second test shot, when it's done it should work just fine for box side and instruction sheet photos..

Did some digging the other day for engine colors - seems that Cyclone's 289 4V  had black block, heads and intake with silver or chrome valve covers and air-cleaner. Caliente 2V motor has yellow valve covers and air-cleaner..

Need to finish the engine, shoot some photos for instruction sheet and get this thing wrapped up

002.JPG

004.JPG

Yep It's Olive Mist. thanks to Bob's paints for the paint..  I just finished Bare metal foil... plenty of details to foil - but not the worst I've had to do. Some minor fit issues seem to show up when I actually get one all painted and do the final assembly...

I'll be sending a few notes and photos to the factory to clean up a couple minor items,,,

Kit will have both sets of wheels. Flat hood only on street car...

This is a second test shot, when it's done it should work just fine for box side and instruction sheet photos..

Did some digging the other day for engine colors - seems that Cyclone's 289 4V  had black block, heads and intake with silver or chrome valve covers and air-cleaner. Caliente 2V motor has yellow valve covers and air-cleaner..

Need to finish the engine, shoot some photos for instruction sheet and get this thing wrapped up

002.JPG

004.JPG

It looks great, Dave.  Is that lacquer or enamel, and what kind of airbrush did you use? 

Did some digging the other day for engine colors - seems that Cyclone's 289 4V  had black block, heads and intake with silver or chrome valve covers and air-cleaner.       Caliente 2V motor has yellow valve covers and air-cleaner..

It's looking good, Dave!

Just to refine that statement a little: Cyclones had silver air cleaners, chrome valve covers and a few other bits. You could order a Caliente with the "Super Cyclone V8" 4V engine, but it would come with yellow air cleaner and valve covers. All Ford blocks were semi-gloss black in 1965.

That looks awesome!  I was not going to buy any more models, as I am kind of out of the hobby, but I just got drafted to build a pair of Comets for a neighbor.  I'm going to have to build one for myself too.  I had originally thought that I would go with a lighter color like Fawn, Yellow Mist or Tiffany blue to make it stand out from the Caspian Blue and Vintage Burgundy cars it will probably share a case with.  Now, I am thinking I want to paint something with that Olive Mist/Ivy Green.  I might still do a Comet in Tiffany Blue.  It sure looks nice with the foil on it.  I can't wait to see the chrome on it.  I am guessing that the grill really jumps out with a good black wash.  Those things always looked great from the front.  Only a few cars had the guts to pull off the stacked headlights. I think they were mostly gone by 1969.  Plymouth still had them in 1968.  They sure looked nice on the Cyclones, though.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a non-Cyclone version of the Comet, now!  Hopefully I didn't just jump into the project from heck! 

Thanks for the two sets of wheels.  Things like that are always a nice bonus.  Those mags look great.   Even though I'm out of the Hobby, I will be picking up this and the 1970 Pickup.  As I'm selling off most of my other kits I had an Uncle with a 1970 and 1972 Ford Pickup so I need to build those two.  

Thanks for posting!  I'll keep watching for the finished shots!  

I would think Round2 could re-run the '64 Caliente after this '65. One could update the AMT '64 using the new '65 Comet. Still would be cheaper than those guys buying a resin kits .

Thats exactly what I plan to do with the 1st 3 of them I get.

ps, why does it sit up so high ?

Edited by gtx6970

Cyclone and 2dr Caliente used the same hardtop roofline. Comet 202 and 404 2dr used the higher sedan roofline, completely different from the belt line up. The Caliente was available as a 4dr sedan, but not as a 2dr sedan.

Converting a Cyclone to a sedan will be tricky, best to start off with the roof and glass from a '60-'62 AMT kit, as that has the correct height, windshield, door glass shape, and trim. The roof is different at the back, however, with a different C pillar shape, glass, and rear window frame shape. That wouldn't be too bad changing it with Evergreen strip and patience.

I don't believe there is any difference between the roof of a Cyclone and a Caliente - both are 2 door hardtops. There were 202 and 404 two door sedans.

Yes, I stand corrected Steve! Now that they have pic of a more complete model with better lighting and foil work done it looks much better.

Converting a Cyclone to a sedan will be tricky, best to start off with the roof and glass from a '60-'62 AMT kit, as that has the correct height, windshield, door glass shape, and trim. The roof is different at the back, however, with a different C pillar shape, glass, and rear window frame shape. That wouldn't be too bad changing it with Evergreen strip and patience.

Maybe start with a Revell Thunderbolt roof since it's more readily available?

The Fairlanes used a completely different roof and all glass than the Falcon/Comet. It does look close, however, but modifications will be necessary to make it look right - particularly to the upper corners of the windshield - perhaps more than the early Comet roof. But depending on the closeness in scale between the new Cyclone and the old AMT or Revell T-Bolt, the T-bolt roof may fit better. We won't know until someone tries.

Without going into details, I can only pass along that Dave and his team worked really, really hard on both the overall proportions and the details of the Cyclone body,   Everyone is welcome to their opinion and comments, of course, but I do recommend holding off making any final/definitive judgments until you get the actual kit body in your hands.  

Just my 2 cents.....TIM 

Thanks Tim, you are absolutely right! I am a believer you don't comment until you actually have the kit in your hands!