Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone news

Some pics from NNL Detroit today. Box Art.The same Green Comet was on the Mobius display table. I'm not sure of the story of this Red AFX Comet with Cammer motor. It was not resin. Mobius rep said Kit should be here by Christmas-ish.

DSCN6538.jpg

DSCN6539.jpg

DSCN6540.jpg

DSCN6541.jpg

DSCN6542.jpg

DSCN6546.jpg

DSCN6547.jpg

DSCN6548.jpg

Edited by mtrcitymuscle
added info

DSCN6546.jpg

DSCN6547.jpg

The red one is built by Steve Goldman, he's been building pre-production models for box-art and trade shows for ages...

I met him the first time in 2003 at the Hobby Heaven party at Dean Milano's model kit museum, where he showed 2 build pre-production samples of the then new amt American Graffiti '55? T-Birds, saw him again last year at Toledo, but didn't recognize him.

Edited by Luc Janssens

The red one is built by Steve Goldman, he's been building pre-production models for box-art and trade shows for ages...

I met him the first time in 2003 at the Hobby Heaven party at Dean Milano's model kit museum, where he showed 2 build pre-production samples of the then new amt American Graffiti '55? T-Birds, saw him again last year at Toledo, but didn't recognize him.

Thanks Luc. Nice clean build by him. We can possibly assume this might be a (one of more to come) AFX drag variations?

sc0510-90157_1.jpg

Yes with Dave Metzner's OK I was able to preview this early test shot of the 65 Comet Cyclone A/FX version we'll be getting at the Motorcity NNL today.   There is no release date or packaging details yet.  I will be showing much more of this model in future post so stay tuned  ....

Steve 

Steve's built up Comet AFX car is a test shot, we tooled that version at the same time as the street car. It is a future item. There a few bugs yet to be worked out before it's ready for production and there is no release date for it, not even sure how it will be presented, a lot depends on licensing details with a driver or a driver's estate, it could even be done as an exclusive for one of our distributors. 

Since the tooling is there it's safe to say that it is a future release

The 65 Plymouth AWB car that Steve has is also a future item for us and the same story applies to it, Steve's model is a test shot - there are also a few minor bugs to work out on that model, again I'm not sure what specific car we might do depends on a driver license or a possible exclusive for a distributor.. again safe to say it's a future item for us 

Model king has already announced a California Flash A990 car for the future ( I think it's probable for 2017 but no firm date for it)

BTW missing link Resin has a super nice 65 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door sedan transkit available now for all you guys who want a police car or granny's grocery getter!

The above box art has me drooling. Growing up with Comets back then i loved the old Mercury head logo and the script they used spelling out Mercury. Always thought both looked very classy. Glad to see them both back on Moebuis' box art. Thanks just for that alone Dave, if nothing else.Though the Cyclone itself will be cool too.

Steve's built up Comet AFX car is a test shot, we tooled that version at the same time as the street car. It is a future item. There a few bugs yet to be worked out before it's ready for production and there is no release date for it, not even sure how it will be presented, a lot depends on licensing details with a driver or a driver's estate, it could even be done as an exclusive for one of our distributors. 

Since the tooling is there it's safe to say that it is a future release

The 65 Plymouth AWB car that Steve has is also a future item for us and the same story applies to it, Steve's model is a test shot - there are also a few minor bugs to work out on that model, again I'm not sure what specific car we might do depends on a driver license or a possible exclusive for a distributor.. again safe to say it's a future item for us 

Model king has already announced a California Flash A990 car for the future ( I think it's probable for 2017 but no firm date for it)

BTW missing link Resin has a super nice 65 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door sedan transkit available now for all you guys who want a police car or granny's grocery getter!

Thanks Dave!

I am looking forward to a Cyclone but more excited about the future A/FX version! The SOHC engine looks like the best that has ever been kitted and I could definitely use several. Moebius is really putting some great new life into our hobby. Thank you Dave and the Moebius team :)

That looks like i would enjoy to build it.. I dont know why, but i have always liked cars with headlight above another.. You know what i mean.. There is Ford, Pontiac, Mercury, Mercedes, Cadillac, you name it.... But still i drive Saab, becouse it has so fine head lights that they can show some light on dark side of moon... Believe or not Jeremy Clarkson said it once, could he be wrong? :D

I just hope the ride height on the stock version has been addressed, the green built test shot on the side of the box shows it to be riding like a 4WD Lol.

But as I mentioned this is a test shot so I'm sure all will be good on release,and I'm really looking forward to this kit.

Yes, that SOHC engine could fill a need for many people longing for an accurate scale version. Fingers crossed.

I hope that the Ford Oval and the 427 SOHC lettering will be added to the cam covers, to me those are some of the iconic features of this engine.

Edited by David

The references we have for the 427 SOHC in 65 Comet AFX cars which come from 1965 era photography of real cars do NOT show the Ford Oval Logos on the Cam covers! Those oval Ford logos and SOHC letters are not on our kit parts.

I have always associated the Ford Oval and scripting with the SOHC 427's but I just learnt through a Google search that the early engines such as those used in 65 AFX Comets would not have had the oval and scripting. 

Maybe jumping the gun a little here, but since we've already started talking about the A/FX version - yes, there were different valve covers over the years, some plain, other had the 427 "Bird" logo. Like it's been said, looks like the blue oval logo came a little later.

Keep in mind also that during this period, the A/FX and match race cars were in constant evolution - different suspension set-ups (a-arm, straight axle), wheelbases, and engine set-backs.

The restored Nicholson car (which I suspect Moebius is basing their version on) was up for sale in 2013 - lots of good photos here: https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0513-154193/1965-mercury-comet-427-sohc-afx-super-cyclone

Edited by RancheroSteve