Model Cars Magazine Forum

I checked in from time to time on your progress and it is just stunning,the only thing i don't like is i don't have it in my collection!

Great wheel choice to and that engine is sweet...Top scratch work Bob.....

Thanks Stan ! Hopefully there will be a resin one available soon .

Bob,

It's the nicest mid '70s El Camino ever put in 1:25, without a doubt. Finding fault is a daunting task, but since you asked, the front overhang is a tad long. Fender and hood length are correct, I'd say pull 1.5-2mm out of the header panel, back the bumper up to the fender seam and you're right there. Other than that, nothing, and that includes the way-tricky rear B pillar slope.

You're right Mike . I had 3 different header panels to choose from . . . the Chevelle Malibu has the real short one and the early Laguna kits have one that is too long . I used one of the Laguna header panels and should have shortened it about 2mm but didn't give it a whole lot of thought at the time . That's on my list for the next one . And the slope of the B pillar was a real PITA , I redid it five times before I decided it was close enough !

I also had trouble getting my rear bumper to fit properly and the ends need to extend forward closer to the seam in the filler panel ( or the seam needs to be moved back ) .

Thanks for the input , I appreciate it . Since I no longer have mine I did most of this from memory and pictures ! :D

Thank you everyone for the comments , I appreciate it very much !

Motor City Resin is working on a resin '73 El Camino right now . I've been planning my build for quite a while so I didn't want to wait , but I plan on buying one as soon as they are available ! :)

Absolutely outstanding, Bob! Loved everything about this build, and I'm in awe of your skills in getting this one so right. Really love the blue interior with the silver paint, and you made the right call switching to those new wheels.

About the only critique I can make is really more of a pointer for anyone trying to convert one of these AMT Chevelle stock cars. Even though AMT updated this kit to a 74 model year with the new rear bumper, taillight covers, and small quarter windows, they didn't change the front bumper to the correct 74 style.

There are actually three different styles of steel front bumpers for the 73-77 Chevelles and El Caminos:

The 73 model year front bumper was a one year only design:

post-13594-0-73002200-1409282137_thumb.j

74 and 75 had a different bumper, with the areas under the parking lights "undercut", for lack of a better term. In my opinion, this is a sleeker design:

post-13594-0-39798100-1409282251_thumb.j

76 and 77 had a different bumper again. Somewhat similar to the 73 style, but the bottom corners actually extend out slightly, making it look even a bit bulkier than the 73:

post-13594-0-80273800-1409282407_thumb.j

Since you replaced your front clip, I don't know which year bumper you actually might have used on your 1:1. By the same token, chances are that the 76 El Camino that donated your grill was not an SS, but factory 75 to 77 Super Sport grilles will have a small SS badge on the driver side, as seen in the pic of the 77 above. Here's a close-up of an NOS SS badge:

post-13594-0-73658300-1409282728_thumb.j

These are quite a bit smaller than the 73-74 SS badges that were in the center of the grilles in those years, so it would be kind of tough to actually duplicate it.

This is actually pretty nitpicky stuff, and take's nothing away from your build. If I could develop half the skills you have, I'd be more than satisfied!