Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Ford Torino GT

mike 51

I almost picked one up when I got the Camaro. I want to see what parts are in the box before I pull the trigger. Box looked nice! I have the first release of this kit, and it's pretty nice. Minor glitches with the seats and stuff, but the body is pretty nice and it builds into a nice looking Torino. The box on the new kit does mention photo etched parts, so they must have done a repop of the Pro-Modeler version. I hope somebody will post the contents soon. If it has all of the good stuff, I will probably get another.

Revell has just reissued the '70 Torino GT kit.

I'm most happy to report that the two major inaccuracies of the original kit have been corrected. And there are other positive surprises, as well.

Click on the link for a full update....and thanks for looking! TIM

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/revised-corrected-r/

DSC_0818-vi.jpg

Tim, is the rear quarter body error also on the Cobra version issued more recently. I was wondering if a new kit body would fit on the Cobra kit too as a fix.

I am thinking that I will use the old Torino kit to fix an old MPC Cyclone kit.

It is great that you have been posting lots of photos to show what's in the box. I have to admit that this is sort of a must have kit.

Tim, another great review. This one is on the must get list.

Tim, what tires does it come with? Are slicks included ?

Frank...the tires looked to me like the generic ones that Revell uses in their late sixties/early 1970's kits. There are drag racing slicks, and they are the somewhat tall, and relatively narrow, type that would be used on a '70 Torino in the Stock drag racing classes (e.g. a car without fenderwell/floorpan/rear suspensions-axle mods). Both the stock and drag racing tires were smilar to those of the original kit.

Best regards...TIM

Tim, is the rear quarter body error also on the Cobra version issued more recently. I was wondering if a new kit body would fit on the Cobra kit too as a fix.

I am thinking that I will use the old Torino kit to fix an old MPC Cyclone kit.

It is great that you have been posting lots of photos to show what's in the box. I have to admit that this is sort of a must have kit.

Bob...I don't have the most recent Cobra issue, but the comments on another model car message board lead me to believe that this is the first version of the kit with the corrected body. If anyone knows differently, please speak up!

What I really want to do is build this kit with the Air Grabber/Shaker hood and air cleaner setup from the Revell '70 Cobra kit. And use the innards from one of the original GT kits (with the incorrect body) to update the old MPC Cyclone kit, just as you suggest. Of course, what I'd REALLY like to see is for Revell to do a new interior/body using this same basic kit tool but featuring the '70 Cyclone GT or Elliminator body.

Best regards...TIM

Great news Tim!

Really love this bodystyle, and lights, have original PS issue. Like shaker idea, maybe caster can do one and a nice convertible conversion too. 429 SCJ shaker droptop-mmmmm.

Happy to see RM tweaking stuff for the better.

Great review , Tim :) !

I'm going to have to give this kit a try . The 1970 Ford intermediates hold a spot in my heart , as I once owned a 1970 Ranchero GT ( 351C / FMX / 9" with 3.50 gear ) .

Good on Revell for reinstating the P.E. board , and for correcting the seats and quarters !

Dug out 70-71 AMT for RQ shot. Feel free to use, Tim. Fade in front good, softens at 0300 but not gone.

Great pics, review as always.

L

Thanks Lee....you just reminded me that I actually have one of those AMT annuals myself down in the cellar....and it looks just like yours (!)....thanks for the clarification/confirmation

Edited by tim boyd

Great review , Tim :) !

I'm going to have to give this kit a try . The 1970 Ford intermediates hold a spot in my heart , as I once owned a 1970 Ranchero GT ( 351C / FMX / 9" with 3.50 gear ) .

Good on Revell for reinstating the P.E. board , and for correcting the seats and quarters !

John...be still my heart! I would love to see a kit of the '70 Ranchero GT, or even the Ranchero Squire.

The owner of the local repair garage in Ann Arbor, Michigan, called "Illi's Auto Service" (on Huron, just west of the old Ann Arbor Railroad overpass), got a new '70 Ranchero Squire in the dark green metallic, with (if I remember correctly) the 429 SCG/Shaker hood setup! It was great!

But if it had been me, I would have gone for the Ranchero GT 351c 4bbl HO, Shaker hood, setup just like yours.

Ah....memories....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Bob...I don't have the most recent Cobra issue, but the comments on another model car message board lead me to believe that this is the first version of the kit with the corrected body. If anyone knows differently, please speak up!

What I really want to do is build this kit with the Air Grabber/Shaker hood and air cleaner setup from the Revell '70 Cobra kit. And use the innards from one of the original GT kits (with the incorrect body) to update the old MPC Cyclone kit, just as you suggest. Of course, what I'd REALLY like to see is for Revell to do a new interior/body using this same basic kit tool but featuring the '70 Cyclone GT or Elliminator body.

Best regards...TIM

That's where I am at too Tim. I really would like to see a cyclone. I have done every conceivable version of this car swapping parts around. Shaker GT's. Base models etc. even a pro touring and a drag car. A twister special I have done which you can see in pics with my twister mach 1. Now I need a ranchero as 4 twister rancheros were built but none have been found

As others have said, another great review Tim. I did not know about the rear quarter panel problem with original. Did of course notice the bucket seat problem. I still don't understand how they did that one originally. It really stands out. But, I'm glad to see Revell is listening and corrected these problems. Now if they could only do a '70 Mercury Cyclone GT for us.

Tim, I love your reviews. They are the best. So keep them coming.

Scott