Model Cars Magazine Forum

New revell snaps

migace

Tower hobbies has 1/25 ford police car and jeep rubicon listed in the snap section

New tool like the dukes mpc snap?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0094P?&N=P&F=RMXS1932&L=TESS4094&C=SFCTES&P=W&S=

Not sure about the Rubicon being a new tool, Revell did that as a Diecast, and then had a Plastic version about a year or so ago, I'm guessing it's that one.

They are new tools. There were not ever kits in these forms from Revell. Revell said they are new tools. It's very public info. Sorry you missed it.

No need to be snarky, Frank.

Revell has made no announcement about exactly what the kit is supposed to be. They only recently added a blurry pic of the old Lindberg '96-'97 Crown Wick to their announcement bulletin. And, yes, it says 'new mold' on the poster. But, does that mean a new push of plastic through the same old tooling, or does that mean an all-new, never done before tooling? Does it mean 'new to Revell' because they bought or licensed the old Lindberg tooling? What does it mean?

I cannot imagine Revell wasting their money and time tooling up an all-new '96-'97 Crown Wick when it's already been done, been bought, and been relegated to the history books. Especially an archaic subject.

The only (unofficial) scuttlebutt so far has been leaks from insiders that suggest it's the old Lindberg Crown Wick being recycled again, but this time by Revell. So far, Revell hasn't spilled the beans.

So, the question remains: Do you know something the rest of us don't know, Frank?

Edited by Danno

we need the 1998-2011 vic body in plastic not the 1992-1996 vic. We only have poorly cast metal bodies of the later model vic. I am all for a nice molded plastic last generation vic. Also I thought round 2 bought Lindberg, why would revell mess with their tools?

another note, how come Tower always has these announcements listed before the manufactures websites list them?

Revell has made no announcement about exactly what the kit is supposed to be. They only recently added a blurry pic of the old Lindberg '96-'97 Crown Wick to their announcement bulletin. And, yes, it says 'new mold' on the poster. But, does that mean a new push of plastic through the same old tooling, or does that mean an all-new, never done before tooling? Does it mean 'new to Revell' because they bought or licensed the old Lindberg tooling? What does it mean?

'New Mold' probably means a new mold--new tooling...it wouldn't make sense for Revell to issue a kit from the Lindberg tooling since Round 2 owns Lindberg...as far as the why of this particular subject and vintage, who knows? Revell has their reasons for what product they choose to make.

Edited by Rob Hall

Do we even know for sure the Ford is a Crown Vic? At this point in time with the CV going out of use it would make sense they might go with the Taurus / Interceptor, although personally I'm hoping for a late model vintage CV because if it doesn't happen now, it probably won't happen at all.

Revell has made no announcement about exactly what the kit is supposed to be. They only recently added a blurry pic of the old Lindberg '96-'97 Crown Wick to their

So, the question remains: Do you know something the rest of us don't know, Frank?

If reading the public info means I know something, then apparently.

Do we even know for sure the Ford is a Crown Vic? At this point in time with the CV going out of use it would make sense they might go with the Taurus / Interceptor, although personally I'm hoping for a late model vintage CV because if it doesn't happen now, it probably won't happen at all.

The Revell 4th quarter new releases flyer posted here, on FB, elsewhere shows a photo of a '95-97 CV.

Edited by Rob Hall

I have it on very good authority from someone that it is in fact a new tooled Crown Vic kit , it is going to be on the lines of the 2015 Mustang kit, aimed at the kids.

Yes, though it doesn't make sense to do a 20yr old subject if the target market are kids...

Yes, though it doesn't make sense to do a 20yr old subject if the target market are kids...

I agree Rob, it does not make sense, but I think the argument that was made is that "they are kids, they wont know better or care", which , I am sure in some ways, that is correct , but this is where Revell is failing if you will, they could of crossed age grouped this kit, for both kids and adult PPV builders if they were to have done either a 1999-2011 body style Vic, or the new Interceptor. And lets say they did the Interceptor, they could do a stock version under the Tarsus name plate.

'New Mold' probably means a new mold--new tooling...it wouldn't make sense for Revell to issue a kit from the Lindberg tooling since Round 2 owns Lindberg...as far as the why of this particular subject and vintage, who knows? Revell has their reasons for what product they choose to make.

You think?

Actually in this particular case that does kind of make sense, particularly if it really isn't the 1995-97 shown, but a more recent vintage.

The target is probably not kids, but police car bulders. There are quite a few "custom" model makers who build and sell department specific models for retirement gifts and such. A kit like this would be competing with the blank diecast models, while also grabbing part of the plastic model crowd who typically don't like diecast.

Ever notice how many of the more recent (90's up) police car subjects are snap kits?

Actually in this particular case that does kind of make sense, particularly if it really isn't the 1995-97 shown, but a more recent vintage.

The target is probably not kids, but police car bulders. There are quite a few "custom" model makers who build and sell department specific models for retirement gifts and such. A kit like this would be competing with the blank diecast models, while also grabbing part of the plastic model crowd who typically don't like diecast.

Ever notice how many of the more recent (90's up) police car subjects are snap kits?

It's what is shown, as nonsensical as that may seem.

Lindberg already did the '95-97 in snap kit form. What is the point in duplicating what's already been done? I could see if it was a snap '98-11, that would make a lot of sense.

Edited by Rob Hall

The target is probably not kids, but police car bulders.

Unfortunately, it's Revell. They have no idea what they are doing. It is going to the be same body style as the Lindberg. It is a new tool. Revell did this for-yes-children. Their reasoning? Children don't know any better. A police car is a police car to them. Edited by blubaja

Lindberg already did the '95-97 in snap kit form. What is the point in duplicating what's already been done? I could see if it was a snap '98-11, that would make a lot of sense.

Assumed to be a 95-97.

I agree a snap '95-97 makes no sense, as there really isn't anything wrong with the Lindberg kit.

We had incorrect box art showing a 53-56 Ford C (actual kit is the long lived C-600 kit) a while back from Round 2, so I would get too crazy over the year of the Crown Vic just yet. It would be easy for someone to grab the wrong year to post on FB.

Assumed to be a 95-97.

I agree a snap '95-97 makes no sense, as there really isn't anything wrong with the Lindberg kit.

We had incorrect box art showing a 53-56 Ford C (actual kit is the long lived C-600 kit) a while back from Round 2, so I would get too crazy over the year of the Crown Vic just yet. It would be easy for someone to grab the wrong year to post on FB.

Some of us that have been replying in this thread know for fact it is the 97 , same as the lindberg, this info came straight from Ed himself.

Edited by martinfan5