Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty's 64 Plymouth

nitro norman

I'm about to start on Richard Petty's 64 Plymouth. I have some pretty good reference, but I have a question about the interior. From the photos I've seen , the door panels, etc. seemto be the same color as the body. Am I correct on this. Hopefully some of the vintage Nascar experts out there can help.

There were no interior door or rear trim panels on the car ,,nothing but sheetmetal, and yes it was all Petty Blue.

Edit,

did some ck'ing and now I am not so sure

found some pics of the #41 Plymouth and it has silver sheetemtal over the interior door opening

Edited by gtx6970

That a restored car and may be how the car looked later in the year. The car RP ran at Daytona was a little different. The car came to the Petty shop painted a really light blue. The exterior was repainted Petty blue at the shop but the underside was left the light blue. There are a couple of pic out there that show verly clearly the light color under the hood. Looks white but it is a very light blue. The interior was a vinyl metallic blue sorta medium blue, dash, seat and probably the interior door panels. The engine color was probably hemi orange, The valve covers were not painted at Daytona.The Pettys usually painted their engines a blue but remember these engines arrived at Daytona stright from the factory and were probably a shade of orange. Later pics of the Pettys installing an engine at Darlington show it being painted a light blue. I have a 64 Racing pictorial that show the Plymouths and Dodges at Daytona and you can see clearly the the Dodges have interior panels that are a factory color. I figure the Pettys went the same route. I'm not a Petty expert and thing changed as the year went by but I'm pretty sure about the Daytona deal.

Edited by james460

Here's a link to a tread I started when I was working on mine. I have gotten sidetracked with mine but, I have found that early in the season the car had stock interior panels and that the interior was not Petty Blue. Later in the season the interior panels went away and things became Petty Blue inside. It all depends on what car and what race you are looking at building.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88337&hl=petty

Yes it's a restored car but it says it's a replica clone of the original 1964 Daytone 500 Winner...but as it's built recently it can for sure be differences between the original car and the clone.

I agree that the engine probably was Race Hemi Orange as they were from the factory and not blue, and I have also seen a picture with the light blue under the hood...pretty much the same blue as the engine in the restored car is.

They had several cars for different tracks each year even back then as they do today...not as many tho'...so of course there are differences between them, but the Daytona Winner was the first.

Edited by Force

Yes it's a restored car but it says it's a replica clone of the original 1964 Daytone 500 Winner...but as it's built recently it can for sure be differences between the original car and the clone.

I agree that the engine probably was Race Hemi Orange as they were from the factory and not blue, and I have also seen a picture with the light blue under the hood...pretty much the same blue as the engine in the restored car is.

They had several cars for different tracks each year even back then as they do today...not as many tho'...so of course there are differences between them, but the Daytona Winner was the first.

Not to stir things up but, it can't be a clone of the Daytona 500 Winner because the Belvedere trim is not down the side which is clearly visible in photographs of the day. I'm not saying it's not accurate clone, its just not a clone of the 500 Winner. From everything I have read and information gathered, the car started life as a Light Blue 64 Belvedere off the a new car lot and was transformed into a racecar. The chassis, underhood paint was still the factory light blue and the factory met. blue interior was intact to make it look more stock to try and overshadow the non-factory stock engine since, the Hemi were not sold new in the showroom to the public. Then as the year progressed, the factory interior came out and flat panel installed. Look at the photo attached, you can see that the interior is a different color than Petty Blue.

1964RP-1-1_zps72febf63.jpg

Look at the next picture and you can see the inner fenders under the hood where lighter in color than the exterior.

1964PettyHemi_zps84b02bb9.jpg

Yea you're right, I just quoted the texts on the websites at the links, I haven't had time to research the subject much more than that except for collecting pictures for future use,
So i'm open to all info as one of Petty's 64 Plymouth's are on my build list.

Here you see the lighter blue color under the hood in a color photo I found on the web a while ago.

64RP_Plym-1.jpg

Edited by Force

If you look at the last picture, which is really a good one for info, you can just see the top of the bucket seat poking it's top out over the dash. I noticed in the clone it has a bench seat. I remember a few year back seeing an interview with RP. He stated in the interview that the Daytona car had a bench seat with the back removed. This picture proves that's not so. I think sometimes we've got to remember these guys, remembering things, are gettin old. I'm 66 and can't remember nothing. The one thing that bugs me about clones is someday some guy will come up with the cash to purchase the 64 Clone and sware up and down that the Petty's told him the car was the Daytona 500 winner and he'll have something signed by them stating it is. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful car and the workmanship is top notch but I doubt Richard ever drove that car in a race. I wish, when clones are built, the guys building them would pay a little more attention to what they really were and had. I guess if they did it would be harder to tell a fake. LOL If you're building a Petty race car specially the 64 there is tons of info on the net and you can't go wrong with the info you find on Randy Ayers board. When it come to the older cars these guys know just about everything and are not afraid to let anyone in on the info. And they build some pretty nice models too.