Model Cars Magazine Forum

Archie's car

Okay, I'm having way too much fun with this. According to Wikipedia (and we know we can trust everything we read there), originally Archie's car/jalopy was a 1916 Ford Model T. In one of the later comics it was said to be a Model A. In another, when Archie was asked, he claimed it to be serval old makes of cars. Hudson, Packard, Pierce Arrow, Chevrolet, Plymouth, etc. Going back to 1926. Because those were all the different types of parts he used in fixing the car.

I have some of the Archie Americana Series books. Including the Best of the Forties, Best of the Fifties, Best of the Sixties, and Best of the Seventies (all volume 1s). Looking at Archie's car in the 1940's, there is very little question about the car being a Model T. The first appeared in Pep Comics #25, March 1942. The splash page shown below.

post-10661-0-13530500-1409971492_thumb.j

Not much of the car in the Best the of Fifties book. The same with the Best of the Sixties book. In these two books I'd still say it was a Model T. It appears in two stories in the Best of the Seventies. In the first story it could be a Model A or Model T. Leaning more to the look of a Model A. In the second story, it again looks like a Model T.

In doing the web search, Archie and his gang, and Archie's car appeared in a Simpson's episode. From what I was reading, they are seen booting Homer out of the car, with Moose tell him never to be seen in Riverdale again. I've never seen that episode. The bit sounds funny.

post-10661-0-15224100-1409972285.jpg

Lastly, in the June, 1954 issue of Mad (#12), they did their take on Archie. Called Starchie. In the story they catch Wedgie horning in on their territory, selling fake school passes to freshman. So they decide they need to take him for a ride. I like Mad's take on Starchie's car. Which you can see below.

post-10661-0-95466700-1409972770_thumb.j

That's it for now. I'm still leaning toward building Archie's car as a T. But, a nice Simonized Olds might work too.

Scott

One last thing. Tom you were wrong about Archie appearing for the first time in 1939. He first appeared in Pep Comics #22 in December of 1941.

Edited by unclescott58

Ordered the AMT '27 Model T Touring kit off of eBay last night. So it should be on its way pretty soon. Now, I got to decide how nice or how beatup do I want to build it. In general I'm leaning toward the car looking fairly nice. Despite the cars problems, mainly used for plot lines for humour, the car never really looked that bad.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

One last thing. Tom you were wrong about Archie appearing for the first time in 1939. He first appeared in Pep Comics #22 in December of 1941.

Ah, I had Googled it and looked fast! Archie Comics... the company was founded in 1939 and released their first comics that fall. As you said, the Archie character appeared in 1941.

If Archie was 17 in that comic, that makes him 90 years old today!

Okay tonight I purchased and read the digital only, comic book Archie's Jalopy.

post-10661-0-16607600-1410065119_thumb.j

A fun book. It reprints several old stories tied to Archie's jalopy. From the the first appearance of the car back in 1942, to its replacement in 1983 seen on the cover shown in posting #1.

Old Betsy as Archie call her, was referred to as two different types of cars in two different stories in this book. In one, we find out the car is a 1921 Edsil. Yes, Edsil. Not Edsel. Betsy's transmission is shot. Jughead read in the newspaper that the Edsil company is recalling their cars for bad transmissions. Luckily the Edsil factory is right across town. So they push it over there. Well, the recall is only on last year's model, and factory mechanics laugh at Archie. For both thinking they would fix his transmission and owning that piece of junk. They tell him to get old Betsy out of there. It's blocking the way for real customers. About that time an Edsil executive walks out and sees the car. He's impressed with Archie's devotion to the car. He orders the the mechanics to take in the car and rebuild it completely. There is a one catch. But, Archie is okay with that. He has to drive around with a sign on the back advertising Edsil's longevity.

In the other story, Archie and Reggie both want to take Veronica to the beach. So Reggie comes up with a scheme so that Mr. Lodge (Veronica's father) will not let Veronica ride in Archie's car. Mr. Lodge agrees. But, it backfires on Reggie. Mr. Lodge tells Archie to turn over his keys, and then tells him that he has to take Veronica to the beach in Lodge's new Lamborghini. The kids are confused. But Archie and Veronica go in the Lambo anyway. After they leave, Mr. Lodge thanks Reggie. Lodge has been planning on going to a car show with one of his old cars. But, he thinks he has a better chance of winning a trophy with Archie's car because it is a rare 1916 Model A. Not a Model T. But a Model A. Model A what we don't know?

In the story where Archie gets a new car. The Hot Rod. He is tired and mad at a other kid for making him and Betsy look like fools all the time for being so slow. He wants to beat the other kid no matter what. Dilton, Riverdale High's smartest kid reluctantly agrees to modify Archie's car with a rocket engine. Everybody, including Dilton, Betty, and Jughead thinks it's a bad idea. But, Archie will not change his mind. In the mean time, the local Youth Center is having a raffle for the cool Hot Rod. It's $1.00 to enter, and that's all Archie's got after what he figures he'll owe Dilton for the modifications to Betsy. So he buys one ticket, with no hopes of winning. Comes the time to test Betsy new rocket engine. The experiment goes wrong, destroying Betsy in the process. Archie is now with out a car. He goes to the raffle. They call out a number that is not his. Yet the winning stub has his name on it. It turns out that Betty, Jughead, and Dilton felt that Archie should have that car, so they bought twenty tickets each in Archie's name. That's the end of Betsy the jalopy. And the start of new adventures in a new car.

There are several more, both long and short stories, in the book dealing with Archie's adventures in and with Betsy. Some are down right funny. Others are dumb and silly. But, it was worth the $3.99 I had to pay for it.

By the way, looking at renditions of Archie's car from stories in the 1960's. I think the AMT Model T kit will make a very nice version of Betsy.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

• 6 years later...

I had the original Aurora kit when it was first issued. I loved it then. It was a Jalopy, and being a kid... It was easy to paint, and build it as such. I believe I received it for Christmas with Monogram's Rommel's Rod. I recently bought the reissue of the Tom Daniel Design, and am always hopeful someone will rerelease Archie's Jalopy. It would be nice to have these two back together again.

I'm getting the reissued Snoopy's Sopwith Camel, the Red Baron's Fokker, and any of the other Kits they rerelease. I wonder... If I post the pictures taken outdoors of Snoopy in his Camel... Will I catch "Flack" (Pun intended) for flying a Plane too low in a Residential area... Again?

Spad XIII 012.jpg

Spad XIII 010.jpg

Spad XIII 003.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Any Comic Books I wanted to read... I had to sneak from my older brother.

A true and somewhat funny story; In the late 60's or early 70's we lived in the West End of Providence R.I. My Uncle, my brother and I had bedrooms on the 3rd floor, while my two sisters and parents had bedrooms on the 1st. One hot summer evening, I snuck into my brother's bedroom, and grabbed a few Comics from my his stack. (I didn't have a Model Kit to build) A few minutes later... My brother goes into his room, turns on his Stereo and starts reading Comics. (His room had a window to the outside. Mine didn't. Unless, a Skylight counts). I'm barely into an "Archie" Comic and... It starts. My brother is screaming like he's on fire. I couldn't make out a word, (He was hysterical, and not the in funny way) but I thought he noticed a couple of Comics missing. I quickly hid the ones I borrowed, and went to see what he was Female Dogging about. To my (All to Brief) relief... It was a Bat. Yeah... You read it right... I SAID... A BAT!  If it turned into Count Dracula... My Fruit of the Looms would be ruined. Where's Van Helsing when I need him?                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Prior to living in Providence... We lived in a very RURAL area... About 100 miles to the south. With the Horses, Corral, Barn, Pet Rabbit, etc., and etc.. There were wild animals... Snakes, Bobcats, Feral Dogs, Deer, Bear, etc., and etc. We never saw a Night Flying Devil Bird before.                                                                                                        We made it down the three flights of stairs to Mom. Mom was... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeellll... NOT Helpful. I know were my brother gets the Screaming Hysterically. She starts screaming about Rabies, Shaving everyone's heads, all the while frantically running her fingers in her own hair. (Anyone remember the Three Stooges? There was one or two episodes when Moe was supposed to be so scared... His hair went up?) Kind of how mom's looked. She sent my sisters to their Rooms, made sure their windows were closed, and closed their doors. There's no way I was locking myself in a room with either of my sisters, or my Screamer of a brother. I'll take my chances with Count Dracula. Besides... I have a much older brother... When we lived on the Farm... He was always catching snakes and stuff... He also lived in Texas for awhile. He said he'd catch the Bat. (I thought to myself;  "Oh good... Let Old Dracula have at him... He might be to full to come after us, and there's the a Bonus. Maybe there's enough STUPID in my brother's blood... Dracula won't remember the rest of us." (What did you expect... I was nine, or ten?) He caught the Bat, but we weren't allowed back in our rooms that night, and I had to sleep in a chair. Worse yet... I had no clean clothes, Pajamas, or fresh Fruit of the Looms.

It wasn't so funny that night, but it's funny to me now.

Note; in 1966 a Movie came out called "Island of Terror" and it scared me half to death. So the Count Dracula reference isn't such a stretch for a nine, or ten year old. If you haven't seen "Island of Terror" you can catch it online.

Any Comic Books I wanted to read... I had to sneak from my older brother.

A true and somewhat funny story; In the late 60's or early 70's we lived in the West End of Providence R.I. My Uncle, my brother and I had bedrooms on the 3rd floor, while my two sisters and parents had bedrooms on the 1st. One hot summer evening, I snuck into my brother's bedroom, and grabbed a few Comics from my his stack. (I didn't have a Model Kit to build) A few minutes later... My brother goes into his room, turns on his Stereo and starts reading Comics. (His room had a window to the outside. Mine didn't. Unless, a Skylight counts). I'm barely into an "Archie" Comic and... It starts. My brother is screaming like he's on fire. I couldn't make out a word, (He was hysterical, and not the in funny way) but I thought he noticed a couple of Comics missing. I quickly hid the ones I borrowed, and went to see what he was Female Dogging about. To my (All to Brief) relief... It was a Bat. Yeah... You read it right... I SAID... A BAT!  If it turned into Count Dracula... My Fruit of the Looms would be ruined. Where's Van Helsing when I need him? 

Prior to living in Providence... We lived in a very RURAL area... About 100 miles to the south. With the Horses, Corral, Barn, Pet Rabbit, etc., and etc.. There were wild animals... Snakes, Bobcats, Feral Dogs, Deer, Bear, etc., and etc. We never saw a Night Flying Devil Bird before. 

We made it down the three flights of stairs to Mom. Mom was... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeellll... NOT Helpful. I know were my brother gets the Screaming Hysterically. She starts screaming about Rabies, Shaving everyone's heads, all the while frantically running her fingers in her own hair. (Anyone remember the Three Stooges? There was one or two episodes when Moe was supposed to be so scared... His hair went up?) Kind of how mom's looked. She sent my sisters to their Rooms, made sure their windows were closed, and closed their doors. There's no way I was locking myself in a room with either of my sisters, or my Screamer of a brother. I'll take my chances with Count Dracula. Besides... I have a much older brother... When we lived on the Farm... He was always catching snakes and stuff... He also lived in Texas for awhile. He said he'd catch the Bat. (I thought to myself;  "Oh good... Let Old Dracula have at him... He might be to full to come after us, and there's the a Bonus. Maybe there's enough STUPID in my brother's blood... Dracula won't remember the rest of us." (What did you expect... I was nine, or ten?) He caught the Bat, but we weren't allowed back in our rooms that night, and I had to sleep in a chair. Worse yet... I had no clean clothes, Pajamas, or fresh Fruit of the Looms.

It wasn't so funny that night, but it's funny to me now.

Note; in 1966 a Movie came out called "Island of Terror" and it scared me half to death. So the Count Dracula reference isn't such a stretch for a nine, or ten year old. If you haven't seen "Island of Terror" you can catch it online.

Edited by badcaditude

• 1 month later...

Update; I just received BOTH Atlantis Kits! Snoopy and his Sopwith Camel, and the Red Baron Fokker Triplane! They're mine... All Mine! I thought these kits were supposed to come with Waterslide Decals too. No worries... I can make them.

Should I hold my breath for the Archie's Car?

• 5 months later...

Hello, I signed up just to post this.   Archie’s car is (or was, depending if you are still living in your vicarious youth) a 1923 Ford Model T 4D (4 Door).  I grew up a few towns south of Bob Montana, Archie’s creator in NH.  He actually owned and drove the car used as a model in the series.  He drove it in town parades.  There is also a statue of Archie in Meredith NH.  The car is still owned by the Montana family to the best of my knowledge and was recently restored by one of the town’s Selectman Jonathan James.  

D12BA2D7-41F1-45A0-B049-1FEBBE6A624A.jpeg

• Thanks 1