Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72-'74 Cuda Grille

Does anyone make an improved grille for the AMT/MPC '72-'74 Cudas, or at least the headlight buckets? I have a couple of these I'd like to build but I just can't stand the way the headlights look. Or does anyone have a suggested fix for the area? I can't quite figure out how to fix the mess.

I thought of that but the shape of the headlight surrounds are different between the '70 and the '72-'74.

I'm thinking of maybe backing up the area with several thickness of styrene, drilling out to set the headlights deeper into the area, and then trying to "cone" out the area either with a drill or by filing. Might not be 100% accurate but almost anything would have to look better than the kit treatment of the area.

A friend of mine is working on a conversion of the '70 Cuda to '72-'74. For the grille he is changing the '70 to add the split and mesh of the later years. It will not be exact, but after going to Carlisle and looking at both I think the only people who will worry about it in scale are the ones who would need to redesign the kit anyway. And yes, he is doing the front valence, tail, and seats.

He has offered it (and a '71 conversion) to Kevin at Missing Link. The masters should be finished shortly.

Steve

If you can find an original annual kit, the part around the headlights look a lot better. I have one I am trying to figure out how to graft onto another body I have. I am not sure why they flattened the part around the headlight or when, but I have an issue from the 80's that the modification was already made on. I can try to take a pic later tonight if you would like to see it.

Mike

A friend of mine is working on a conversion of the '70 Cuda to '72-'74. For the grille he is changing the '70 to add the split and mesh of the later years. It will not be exact, but after going to Carlisle and looking at both I think the only people who will worry about it in scale are the ones who would need to redesign the kit anyway. And yes, he is doing the front valence, tail, and seats.

He has offered it (and a '71 conversion) to Kevin at Missing Link. The masters should be finished shortly.

Steve

Sounds very most way interesting! I'd very much like to see that. Any idea when it would be available? If it looks good, I'll take at least two.

If you can find an original annual kit, the part around the headlights look a lot better. I have one I am trying to figure out how to graft onto another body I have. I am not sure why they flattened the part around the headlight or when, but I have an issue from the 80's that the modification was already made on. I can try to take a pic later tonight if you would like to see it.

Mike

Yes, I'd love to see that if it's not too much trouble.

BTW, I think the other day I found on my harddrive a pic I snatched off the net of the headlight bucket on the (unrestored) '72 Motown Missile. I can load that up onto photobucket and post it here if anyone's interested.

I drilled out the headlight area and found another head light bucket out of the Round2 AMT '61 Galaxie. It was a custom with clear lens.

These funky head lights are a result of MPC modifying the Cuda kit to a stock car after the 1974 annual kit. Don't forget that the turn signal lights under the grille were removed as well. If you get a chance to see an original 1972-1974 MPC Cuda kit, you will see how much better they used to be.

In a related note, the Chrysler emblem on the lower right part of the right front fender was removed after the 1974 annual kit run. Non of the subsequent kit runs by ERTL that I have seen have the emblem.

Original 72-74 bodies can be found in usable condition for not much money- spending an extra 10 bucks or so is certainly a viable alternative to lots of surgery or a conversion kit. The 1980 and up MPC bodies are a bit funky in other details that were restored like the door handles and such

Those '72-'74 headlight buckets look 100% better than the kit parts, but it looks like the headlights might sit out too far. Or do they really sit back in those buckets a bit, like the real ones?

The headlights buckets are from the '70, so they should sit at the same point. I think it will be just a bit inside the grille edge. They are not recessed into the grille section, but they will look pretty close.