Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72-'74 Cuda Grille

Vrm when will the 72 conversion be available.

I'm thinking it might be good to make a slight tweak to the headlight area, but otherwise it is ready to be cast. I put the guy who did the masterwork in touch with a resin guy - we will see, but I'm hoping it does not take too long.

Steve

• 4 months later...

Yep, he just said he finished up all of the Barracuda conversions. He did some more work on the headlight area of the '72 to make it more recessed into the cone. We are all getting clobbered here in NE with snow, so not sure when he will be shipping them off for casting.

Incidentally, I tried simulating that recess on one of the '74 snap kits with a taper. It did not work all that bad, but I also did not want to spend a lot of time on it.

I will see if I can get pics and will post them (or will have him do so).

Steve

Looking pretty good so far.

But a bit of info if I may.

The depth relationship of the ft of the headlight to the forward edge of the fender is the exact same depth on a 1970 versus 72-74 .

The only difference is the headlight door or bezel as its called are different between the 2

Ok - he has updated the grille part so that there is more of a barrier between the headlight and the grille centre. Its not 100%, but, it definitely has more of the correct look than before.

He is shipping them off to one of the top-tier resin people (if he has not already), and hopefully they will be able to put them into production fairly soon.

Steve

post-2995-0-51298800-1423760327_thumb.jp

Yes, Bill, the new version has a bit more of a pronounced 'bowl' to it with the headlight itself being at the bottom. It is a tough shape to capture, but painting the inner part of the bowl with your favourite Oraganisol black, and then hitting the outer rim of the bowl with chrome paint or marker should go a long way to giving it more of the right look and depth.

Steve

Unfortunately, the original kits (I have '72-74) were a little lacking as well. The dishing should be more pronounced, and more squared off. Vics grille is better than the original 72-74 kits IMHO.

Ok - he has updated the grille part so that there is more of a barrier between the headlight and the grille centre. Its not 100%, but, it definitely has more of the correct look than before.

He is shipping them off to one of the top-tier resin people (if he has not already), and hopefully they will be able to put them into production fairly soon.

Steve

That grille looks pretty darn good--almost certainly better than the homebrewed fix I was planning. I'm definitely interested in buying two of them, perhaps three, as long as I don't have to buy the rest of the parts as a "kit"--I don't need the rest of that for the projects I have in mind.

73cuda1-vi.jpg

Here's my 1973 Barracuda, back in the day. I had this and my 1965 Barracuda at the same time so there were literally skid marks in the street, when guys suddenly saw the two of them sitting side by side in the driveway!

Anyway, I am planning on using the Revell 1970 Barracuda to build a nice replica of my old car. The thing that kept me from doing it was that the MPC body had enormous door handles! As you can see, my car had the body side molding which ran from the top of the side lights, front to back. And per MPC, that ran right through the door handle.

So it's good to hear someone is planning on a conversion kit for these years. Ah, procrastination is my friend once again. Now if someone could find me these wheel covers, my life would be complete!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Hey Tom, good news...Kevin at Missing Link has the wheel covers you are looking for. They are really good.

Incidentally, you will have to get bumpers from Modelhaus for whatever year you need. Those guards changed slightly every year I think.

• 5 months later...

They have been sent to Kevin at Missing Link.  He told me a while ago that the parts need to be polished up before casting.  Not sure where these are in the pipline, but I do know that he has had a busy summer with his day job.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I talked to Vrm  about  the 72 cuda conversion kit but that he told me that missing link has producing them,but when I called them,i got the answer he is no close to putting it out he told me it could be in 2019 when its going to me out.Its better to find on ebay to find one is better.The walt is not worth it on the conversion kit

• 11 months later...