Model Cars Magazine Forum

Challenger vs. Camaro: Heavyweight muscle showdown

Harry's right. Most of all, you cannot deny the power rating.

That was never disputed. I know for fact it makes roughly 635 at the tire. That's 25 more than the Shelby. The tq numbers are almost identical. What is in dispute with that knowledge are the rest of the numbers when it's over 600 pounds heavier. If you know anything about vehicles that's where the math falls short Like I said. I will wait till one drags me down the highway...

As GM helpfully points out, he did it in four seconds off the ZL1's time and faster than a Porsche 911 Carrera S and Lamborghini Murcielago LP640. GM says their telemetry indicates there's another six seconds in the car, and I think that's conservative. But a 7:31 would be on a Porsche 911 GT2 time, and faster than a GT-R Spec-V (or at least until recently ).

The car is a monster. http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/videos/2014-camaro-z28-nurburgring-lap

For comparison the GT500 does 7:39,28 with factory driver.

From Car and Driver instrumented tests...

Mustang GT500: 0-60 3.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 11.8 @ 125 MPH

Challenger Hellcat: 0-60 3.6 seconds, 1/4 mile in 11.7 @ 126 MPH

Mustang: 662 HP, 631 lb/ft torque @ 4,000 RPM

Challenger: 707 HP, 650 lb/ft @ 4,000 RPM

"Back in 2010, Ford was crowing about its 550-hp Shelby GT500. Chevy one-upped that in 2011 with the 580-hp Camaro ZL1. A few months later, Ford didn’t so much leapfrog Chevy as it did stomp its face into the mud as it ran away with its girlfriend and its mother, introducing the 662-horse 2013 GT500. Now Dodge officially ushers in the age of unreason with the 707-hp 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat.

Dodge quotes an 11.2-second quarter-mile on the tacky surface of an NHRA-certified drag strip, but the Pirellis feel so overstressed that hitting that low ET would also require dropping tire pressures to about 10 psi. (We always conduct our acceleration tests at the manufacturer’s recommended tire pressures.) At higher speeds, though, the Hellcat runs away from everything in its price range. It hits 150 mph in 17 seconds flat, 0.8-second ahead of the Viper and the same time as we recorded from the quickest C6 Corvette Z06 we ever tested. Indeed, it out-accelerates just about every front-engine, rear-drive car we’ve ever hooked our test gear to. Improving on this car’s acceleration would require moving the engine behind the driver—and preferably sending power to the front wheels, too."

Geez. I can't believe I dropped 70 k on such a piece of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH car! Twice yet!! Carry on

Mate... It sounds like you've got a major chip on your shoulder? It's ok to like a Mustang, it's even ok to not like a Challenger/Dodge, Camaro/Chevy, everyone has their own personal tastes. Opinions are opinions, everyone's got one, doesn't mean they're right. You've got your Mustang, be happy. Mustangs aren't the be all & end all of horsepower/best/fastest car in the World. There's always someone who's got something better/faster. I seriously doubt your Shelby, straight from the factory, would beat a La Ferrari, MaClaren P1, Porsche 918, Aventador etc.... Doesn't really matter about the price difference... Money talks & BS walks...

Ever since Dodge announced that they would build the Hellcat Challenger, I have noticed on various forums, comments regarding this car compared to the other two cars available....the one common thing.....is the Challenger is sooo heavy and the Ford Mudstain and Chevy Craparo is so much faster and lighter. Guess what....EVERY Dodge fan knows that the Challenger is the heaviest, every one of us would like it if was lighter, we get it! BUT....guess what.....Ford DOES not make the most powerful car, Chevy does not make the most powerful car....DODGE does!!! And if the other two decide to bring something to the table that is more powerful....so be it, then they can brag about it. All the Ferd fan boys comparing this factory production car to a aftermarket company is a joke...."well the Shelby 1000 is more powerful....blah, blah blah". Anyone with the cash can drop off the Hellcat at Hennesy and pay to play.....all it takes is cubic dollars!!!

The current GT500 is a nice car....captures the look of the old one....lots of power....great aftermarket support!!

The Camaro...does not have the retro look, but still has lots of power and same great support from the aftermarket!!

The Hellcat Challenger....retro....powerful.....we will see what the aftermarket is able to do!!

Anyway....we should all be thank full that anyone with the means can purchase a new diesel truck with over 350 horse and 800 ft. lbs of torque, same thing with the cars....OVER 500 horse....FACTORY??!!!! Get em while you can....the brand of your choice....cause ya just never know what the insurance companies may do.....AGAIN!!!

*sorry about the rant....too many "hello kitty" comments I guess from the Ford fan boys....I guess maybe I appreciate what all the manufactures are building, I may not buy one....but can still like what I see.

Technically dodge is bringing at the moment the highest HP production car. You are forgetting there is the cobra jet while not a production vehicle its also not 3rd party. But regardless was it ford or Chevy who peed in your Dodge cheerios before you made this post lol j/k.

I work for dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram as a technician I know we have 2 ppl wanting to order a hellcat. I think one will be a sure thing, they did bump up the production of them from 2000 to about 4000 cars it sounds like so a few more people may be getting one. But it sounds like its pretty limited on what dealers are going to get them. They said something about it today, but today was such a blur at work I forgot what they even said. Thought it was something like 1 in 3 dealers have a chance in ordering one or something like that ill have to ask again tom.

I have to say I thought the hellcat name was kinda odd my self. To me that seems more like a name for the late 60s cougar's

I actually love what dodge is doing regarding allotments of cars. They claim they will build all that are ordered. How they are doing it is like this. First they look to see what you are ordering for cars, priority goes to dealers who sell a lot of challengers/ chargers. Then they will be looking at sales over last 120 days. From there they will give you the cars but not all at once. Then as they sell one they get another. The goal of this is to keep dealers from putting huge dealer mark ups on them. Dodges business plan for this is great. The ford and gm guys and the viper guys know the dealer markup game all too well. So by only sending hellcats to dealers motivated to sell them they will hit the goal of getting them on the streets at a reasonable price. I know I have been lucky and have not had to pay an ADM on any of my cars but I also have had an 18 yr relationship with my SVT dealer. My friend who ordered a hellcat gets his at sticker also. Can't wait to line them up. We live in a small town so our goal is to take two of the baddest machines ever made and go hurt some feelings : )

His was 69,5xx CDN plus taxes by the way. silver/ black hood, 6 speed preferred pkg so no big stereo etc. price was right on pace with my 14 gt500 so nice work dodge! The camaros are more money for the z28 up here. Like 80+

The best part for him is is his 15 order is not picked, our dealer guaranteed in writing he would get a 16 at same money. THAT is how you market cars. The other manufacturers should take note

Edited by freakshow12

That was never disputed. I know for fact it makes roughly 635 at the tire. That's 25 more than the Shelby. The tq numbers are almost identical. What is in dispute with that knowledge are the rest of the numbers when it's over 600 pounds heavier. If you know anything about vehicles that's where the math falls short Like I said. I will wait till one drags me down the highway...

Ok, you do that. I guess statistics and data mean nothing to you.

Technically dodge is bringing at the moment the highest HP production car. You are forgetting there is the cobra jet while not a production vehicle its also not 3rd party. But regardless was it ford or Chevy who peed in your Dodge cheerios before you made this post lol j/k.

I work for dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram as a technician I know we have 2 ppl wanting to order a hellcat. I think one will be a sure thing, they did bump up the production of them from 2000 to about 4000 cars it sounds like so a few more people may be getting one. But it sounds like its pretty limited on what dealers are going to get them. They said something about it today, but today was such a blur at work I forgot what they even said. Thought it was something like 1 in 3 dealers have a chance in ordering one or something like that ill have to ask again tom.

I have to say I thought the hellcat name was kinda odd my self. To me that seems more like a name for the late 60s cougar's

Well no one actually relieved them selves in my cheerios when i wrote this....so all is good there, Maybe I am just more of an all round gear head...not super bias against other brands? All makes can build some pretty quick and powerful cars, the way things are going...who knows where it will stop? I dig the old stuff as well as new, in the grand scheme of things....there are a bunch of European cars that would eat alot of our cars for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Yenko, Baldwin Motion, Mr. Norm's, Shelby....all sweet cars, maybe if the Lotto Max would hit for me....my garage would be filled with a nice mix of old and new iron??!!!!

Allocation for Hellcat is up to dealer, if they sell lots of Dodges...you can expect one for the first run. Park it in the showroom for too long and don't expect another...they want these cars out there being driven!!

Hellcat name is a nod back to the military history of Chrysler....goes with the current Apache and Hurricane names being used.

Maybe I just needed more wobbly pops after I got off work???

Edited by dieseldog1970

Well no one actually relieved them selves in my cheerios when i wrote this....so all is good there, Maybe I am just more of an all round gear head...not super bias against other brands? All makes can build some pretty quick and powerful cars, the way things are going...who knows where it will stop? I dig the old stuff as well as new, in the grand scheme of things....there are a bunch of European cars that would eat alot of our cars for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Yenko, Baldwin Motion, Mr. Norm's, Shelby....all sweet cars, maybe if the Lotto Max would hit for me....my garage would be filled with a nice mix of old and new iron??!!!!

Allocation for Hellcat is up to dealer, if they sell lots of Dodges...you can expect one for the first run. Park it in the showroom for too long and don't expect another...they want these cars out there being driven!!

Hellcat name is a nod back to the military history of Chrysler....goes with the current Apache and Hurricane names being used.

Maybe I just needed more wobbly pops after I got off work???

Yeah I know both people that I know of that want to buy the hellcat's my aunt & her brother, were both in yesterday picking colors, etc... So im anxious to see how it all ends up I was quite surprise that some of the colors that were available on challengers are not available this year. Reason being is I guess they are gonna phase colors in one year, out the next etc......

But I do agree I am sure Ford or GM will come out now with something bigger. Which if quite alright its been a while since we had a good muscle car shoot out of this nature.

Chrysler was not associated with the Navy's F6F Hellcat. That aircraft was built exclusively by Grumman Aircraft and it was powered by a Pratt and Whitney radial engine. However, I think Chrysler supplied an engine, possibly a Hemi of sorts, for use in an experimental version of the Republic Aviation P-47 Thunderbolt. Both aircraft were conceived and built on Long Island.

One can play that "6 Degrees of..." game with Chrysler, the US Navy, NASA and Star Trek. The Prowler, Hellcat and Avenger are naval aircraft, all built by Grumman, the latter two of WWII vintage, the former might still be in service. The Intrepid is a WWII vintage carrier, now a museum in NYC (highly recommended). The late Challenger was a space shuttle. The Reliant was a starship in ST:TWOK.

The Apache is a contemporary US Army helicopter built by Boeing, et al., and the Hurricane was a WWII RAF fighter built by Hawker.

Just some (interesting?) trivia for your Friday.

^^^^^^ Hey John, you are correct about the names, and my post was not meant to imply that Chrysler had anything to do with the actual production of them. Chrysler does have a long history through the years with development and production of various military vehicles and or parts...so maybe the powers that be thought it would be cool to use those names as a way to "honor" or "tip the hat" at the past??? Not entirely sure....but they have used those as code names for awhile, and they do sound good!! If one wants, there is a section on Allpar that covers the military history and what they had a hand in developing, I have gone through it awhile ago, it but was really too lazy when I posted to quote word for word.

Edited by dieseldog1970

For anyone interested....Motor Trend Ignition on you tube has a great video of them testing a Hellcat. This includes a couple of dyno pulls, standing quarter mile, and a trip down the 1320....very cool video!!!

No idea how the heck to link it or anything....sorry....not a computer guy!!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

For anyone interested....Motor Trend Ignition on you tube has a great video of them testing a Hellcat. This includes a couple of dyno pulls, standing quarter mile, and a trip down the 1320....very cool video!!!

No idea how the heck to link it or anything....sorry....not a computer guy!!!

I watched it today & no idea how to copy the link either ? Awesome video though! What a BEAST!

• 2 weeks later...

So today at Barrett-Jackson, all three manufacturers had cars being sold to raise money for various charities.

The last of the limited edition 2015 Ford Mustang (1964 total) sold for $170,000.00

The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 (vin #003)sold for $147,500.00

The first Hellcat Challenger (vin #700001- which was painted Stryker Red, a Viper only color making it a 1 of 1) also sold for a whopping $825,000.00!!!! I am sure that this car will look really good in the collection owned by Rick Hendrick, who as most of you may know purchased the Snake/Mongoose haulers and cars last year after they left the auction block. Does anyone know if this open for viewing to the general public or is it a private deal?? I would sure like to check his place out one day!!!

Awesome news for ALL of those spending money and helping others out through charity.....with all the doom and gloom we hear about, nice to see those car enthusiasts give back!!!

Edited by dieseldog1970

Well I can see some of your point. You dodge boys have not had much to cheer about in years. I guess us ford fan boys can give you this one thing for a little while as from 07-14 we had the big boy toys. I can't wait for my friends kitty to show up so I can drag it down the highway like I do everything else I have run...

<sigh….> It's like being in high school again….. :lol:

Edited by FASTBACK340