Model Cars Magazine Forum

And the U.S. Postal service wonders why they are losing money.

ranma

All I know is they lost 8 items sent to me inside of one year.

That sounds like you have a theft problem somewhere along the line.

I've had about 8 packages 'lost' in all of the years that I've been ebaying. I highly suspect that a mentally ill woman who works at the post office is either stealing or destroying packages from ebayers, but I cannot prove it.

i think it is odd that on two different days, I sent 5 Priority packages with tracking, and 3 priority packages with tracking on another day, which I handed over to this clerk. All eight packages show that they were received at my PO, but they show no other tracking after that.

It is just odd. Eight packages handed over to one clerk....and they never showed up again in the system, ever again.

Just a month ago, I went to the PO, where another ebay seller was screaming " I handed them to that woman right there!!!!", as she pointed at the clerk who handled my missing packages.

I have not handed that clerk another package since then, and there has been some pretty uncomfortable moments when that clerk says "Next in line..." .

Edited by clovis

That sounds like you have a theft problem somewhere along the line.

I've had about 8 packages 'lost' in all of the years that I've been ebaying. I highly suspect that a mentally ill woman who works at the post office is either stealing or destroying packages from ebayers, but I cannot prove it.

i think it is odd that on two different days, I sent 5 Priority packages with tracking, and 3 priority packages with tracking on another day, which I handed over to this clerk. All eight packages show that they were received at my PO, but they show no other tracking after that.

It is just odd. Eight packages handed over to one clerk....and they never showed up again in the system, ever again.

Just a month ago, I went to the PO, where another ebay seller was screaming " I handed them to that woman right there!!!!", as she pointed at the clerk who handled my missing packages.

I have not handed that clerk another package since then, and there has been some pretty uncomfortable moments when that clerk says "Next in line..." .

Probably, my boss was telling a customer about when he managed another HTU they had a customer who wanted specific, large scale plane, so he ordered it for him and it was to be shipped via Greyhound because the boxs were coffin sized. Couple weeks later the customer calls asking about the plane, so my boss called the company and they had been able to track the shipment to a major hub where it disappeared. The company sent another, with the same results. When the 3rd disappeared, they figured out it was somebody at that hub that was taking pulling stuff off the trucks, including over $2k in R/C Planes.

As for problematic P.O.'s, the one in my town was being run by a guy who there weren't many good things to say about him, so since the one in the neighboring town wasn't much further away from home, I'd just go there and mail stuff instead.

I remember when stamps went from 5 to 7 cents. my father immediately cut the Christmas card list in half, arguing that he wasn't going to spend $4.00 a year on stamps!

That was the era when the Postal Service was supported by taxes. That went away in the mid-60's. Today, rates are determined by the "Postal Board Of Governers", who, like the Postmaster General, are political appointees of the president. They periodically adjust postage to inflation. It doesn't matter what else might affect our cost of doing business. Fuel costs go up at 5 times the general rate of inflation? Too bad. Congress says we have to pre pay for retiree's retirement and health care 75 years in advance. Suck it up.

Jeff, Billy Joe, report your problems to the Postal Inspection Service. That's what they're there for. The Postal Service is here to provide an important service to our customers, and employees like you guys describe detract from that. I'm a union member, and the unions do a lot of good for the employees in general, but I wish they'd let the Inspectors do their job and get rid of these bad apples without putting up a fight that those employees don't deserve to win!

Edited by CorvairJim

As for problematic P.O.'s, the one in my town was being run by a guy who there weren't many good things to say about him, so since the one in the neighboring town wasn't much further away from home, I'd just go there and mail stuff instead.

Same when I lived in NJ. The post office in my town was an old building with poor parking. The clerks there weren't nice or efficient. I'd go one town away where there was a great facility with easy parking. The clerks there were friendly and efficient. Interesting how they all represented the same organization within a mile of each other.

Jeff, Billy Joe, report your problems to the Postal Inspection Service. That's what they're there for. The Postal Service is here to provide an important service to our customers, and employees like you guys describe detract from that. I'm a union member, and the unions do a lot of good for the employees in general, but I wish they'd let the Inspectors do their job and get rid of these bad apples without putting up a fight that those employees don't deserve to win!

Should it be reported to the inspectors even though a good deal of time has passed, and that I have absolutely no proof, whatsoever???

Other than that one very bad apple, I don't think that you could ask for a better crew at that PO. Unbelievably friendly folks, who will bend over backwards to help someone. I also have a carrier that should be nominated for the 'Best Carrier in The United States' award.

I know it's not kindergarten,but not everyone does. Just because employees A & B have a good work ethic doesn't mean that employees C,D,E,F,& so on will. In my opinion if someone is not doing their job on a regular basis then they serve no purpose to said company.

Austin, more and more companies are installing cameras in point locations. I don't know about Fed x but my son worked for UPS where the trucks are loaded and they had cameras watching them. I don't know about the drivers...

Three postal workers arrested in Toledo ohio, A Cincinatti Postal worker caught on tape putting mail in a dumpster, Do a search on line because there is so many of these stories.

Like the footage of a UPS employee chucking a box over a fence ;)

quote name="Brett Barrow" post="1260476" timestamp="1410295070"]

It's not about the USPS, UPS, FedEx, or whoever, it's about people. And many people just have no respect for what's not theirs...

Edited by Brett Barrow

Same when I lived in NJ. The post office in my town was an old building with poor parking. The clerks there weren't nice or efficient. I'd go one town away where there was a great facility with easy parking. The clerks there were friendly and efficient. Interesting how they all represented the same organization within a mile of each other.

Same here, it is faster drive 6 miles (one way) to go to another post office (bigger) than go to the one in my town, smaller and slower...

To go back in topic, one time I saw a couple a the post office with a brand new ipad in the original box, and they put it on a USPS box, without nothing! They also ask tape, pencil a the postal guy.

I never had any issue with USPS, and I ship internationally too. Except this week when I check a tracking number of a envelope from Wisconsin to here, it said delivered, but the mailman put it in the wrong mailbox. :( Inside there was PE parts... And no neighbor return it yet... :(

Same here, it is faster drive 6 miles (one way) to go to another post office (bigger) than go to the one in my town, smaller and slower...

To go back in topic, one time I saw a couple a the post office with a brand new ipad in the original box, and they put it on a USPS box, without nothing! They also ask tape, pencil a the postal guy.

I never had any issue with USPS, and I ship internationally too. Except this week when I check a tracking number of a envelope from Wisconsin to here, it said delivered, but the mailman put it in the wrong mailbox. :( Inside there was PE parts... And no neighbor return it yet... :(

that's on the neighbor as well as the postal employee. :blink: as has been pointed out, honesty is on all, not just the postal employees.

Edited by Greg Myers

that's on the neighbor as well as the postal employee. :blink: as has been pointed out, honesty is on all, not just the postal employees.

In my case, I don't blame to much the mailman, make mistake, error is human, it happen. The neighbor keeping the mail, that's not nice, above all when is not a junk mail...

The chances of them knowing the the boxes contained model cars is ridiculously low, all they saw was an opportunity to maybe get something decent.

They were all single model parts from members here except for one book.

Should it be reported to the inspectors even though a good deal of time has passed, and that I have absolutely no proof, whatsoever???

Other than that one very bad apple, I don't think that you could ask for a better crew at that PO. Unbelievably friendly folks, who will bend over backwards to help someone. I also have a carrier that should be nominated for the 'Best Carrier in The United States' award.

It couldn't hurt to try. What's the worst that could happen?

It's good to hear that you've found so many really good folks working for the U.S.P.S. in your area. In over 28 years as a Postal Worker (as opposed to a "postal employee", if you see the difference), I've found that there are many standouts like that, folks who actually care about the customer. I like to think that I'm in that group, even though I work in a sorting facility and have no face-to-face interaction with customers. My local P.O. has no off-street parking, yet I'd rather go there than the one at the plant where I used to work. Lines move well, the clerks are polite, and things I sent from there are always handled gently, at least where I could see them.

I still cringe when I think about the videos I've seen on YouTube shot by security cameras of UPS deliverymen just tossing packages over fences or onto porches, or left out in the rain in puddles, etc. There are always Postal delivery supervisors out on the streets keeping an eye on carriers at random, and if a carrier is seen doing something like that, they may well find themselves out of a job... until the union steps in and gets them their jobs back - with back pay. <_< Management usually wimps out when pressed over these things.

There are always Postal delivery supervisors out on the streets keeping an eye on carriers at random, and if a carrier is seen doing something like that, they may well find themselves out of a job... until the union steps in and gets them their jobs back - with back pay.

And there's the problem.

The chances of them knowing the the boxes contained model cars is ridiculously low, all they saw was an opportunity to maybe get something decent.

More likely the thief took the packages, opened them somewhere and said, "What is this junk?"

Many years ago when we lived back in NJ, our newspaper was missing daily. We called the newspaper who sent the carrier back with a new one, but the third time she knocked on the door almost crying that she DID deliver it. Mystery was solved the next day. I watched it be delivered onto our walk, then a few minutes later the 3 year old next door ran up and took it. Upon confronting her mother, she said she had no idea where the kid was getting the papers from... yea right.

The 3 year old just wanted to see the paper had published her letter to the editor regarding the new city comptroller.

Actually I thought she was looking for a bargain dentist since her mother had no front teeth....

that was a low point of our occupancy of our NJ house. The toothless, alcoholic daughter of our elderly neighbor and her free range three year old moved in with our poor elderly neighbor. It went on for about a year until the poor old guy sold the house and moved in with his son to get rid of her!

Edited by Tom Geiger