Model Cars Magazine Forum

What should be pulling this trailer?

That R-Model was a great truck! I just never really got acclimated to pulling a dump trailer,was always afraid I was gonna roll it over!.............................................Mark

I know the feeling, but the frame trailers are a little harder to flip than the frameless. All it takes is some clay stuck up front and itll go right over. We had an all steel frame trailer that had been flipped, and it was so tweaked, even after being cut apart and straightened, that it felt like it was gonna go back over everytime. We didnt have that one long.

I only pulled an end dump for a short time, about 2 weeks. That was the only time i had ever been nervous, white knuckled, while driving. I hated end dump work.

Its certainly not for everyone. I swear my dad could dump one with the truck jackknifed and not flip it. Ive also never met anyone that could get through the gears as fast as him, my brother was close tho, but my old man could speed shift double sticks like nobody else.

Gordon, the first trailer is out of the box, on the second trailer I cut off the center suspension to make the spread axle and on the last trailer I just cut off the lead axle suspension. These kits are really nice to build but one thing I found was that the axles are too wide and cause the tires to extend beyond the side edge of the trailer so they should be narrowed. It's an easy fix and makes a big difference. If I remember correctly DOT regs state that trailer tires/wheels cannot extend past the outer edge of the trailer.