Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell bucket wheel excavator? I got it now, gonna build it!

Here soon the wife and i will be moving. Once i get my hobby room/ garage set up, this will definitely find bench time. Since right now my hobby area is the kitchen counter, this is too big. That and i have nowhere to set it when im not working on it or when its finished. The things we forget when that styrene inspiration hits us.

• 3 weeks later...

Here soon the wife and i will be moving. Once i get my hobby room/ garage set up, this will definitely find bench time. Since right now my hobby area is the kitchen counter, this is too big. That and i have nowhere to set it when im not working on it or when its finished. The things we forget when that styrene inspiration hits us.

I have a similar problem with a 1:72 Gato class sub I'm working on (USS Cobia). At 53" in length, it's troublesome finding free space to temporarily store it when not working on it. It's destined for my headboard eventually, and under glass.

• 6 months later...

I was thinkin what kinda vehicles i could put with it. I really dont know what would be close. Guess model railroad stuff would be the closest.

I bought this too but it was more difficult than most of you as I am an American but live in China!  And there are almost no Hobby Shops here so I do everything on the Internet!  Can't even buy hobby paint.  It cost me about around $185 and $72 of that was just for shipping!  Now I am in the process of renting another small apartment just for a hobby area as there is no room in our 60 sq meter apartment (about 650sq feet) with me, wife and 27 year old daughter!  Now to answer some of your questions... there is a scale figures/accessories shop called Microform Models, Inc (Google the name) located in Marlborough, Massachusetts (not the one in Manchester NH, don't know anything about that one even though I tried to find out what it did) that makes scale things like cars, trucks, fencing, street lamps, and they are VERY reasonable, for instance a standing man is $0.27, seated, $0.29.  An tractor trailer is $1.94.  This is 1/16" or 1/192 metric (1 foot = 1/16th of an inch or one meter =192 meters) which is only 4% off of 1/200. About displaying it, I think it would look great in a diorama!  Now these are metal casts, so detail is somewhat lacking, but a tractor trailer in this scale is only 3.5 inches long (if it is 60 foot total length in real life).   So if the male figure is supposed to be 6 foot (72 inches) he will really be 74.88 inches, hardly noticeable. You must order $20 minimum.  I am toying with the idea of replacing the railings with photo-etch 1/200 scale naval railings.  They also say they will custom design an item, maybe in the same scale a giant dump truck???  I also have the North Sea oil rig which is 1:200 so I can use figures on that too (no tractor trialer though!) and that has far more railings than this does and the 1/200 IJN Yamato (which I also have) could use some figures.!

I was thinkin what kinda vehicles i could put with it. I really dont know what would be close. Guess model railroad stuff would be the closest.

I bought this too but it was more difficult than most of you as I am an American but live in China!  And there are almost no Hobby Shops here so I do everything on the Internet!  Can't even buy hobby paint.  It cost me about around $185 and $72 of that was just for shipping!  Now I am in the process of renting another small apartment just for a hobby area as there is no room in our 60 sq meter apartment (about 650sq feet) with me, wife and 27 year old daughter!  Now to answer some of your questions... there is a scale figures/accessories shop called Microform Models, Inc (Google the name) located in Marlborough, Massachusetts (not the one in Manchester NH, don't know anything about that one even though I tried to find out what it did) that makes scale things like cars, trucks, fencing, street lamps, and they are VERY reasonable, for instance a standing man is $0.27, seated, $0.29.  An tractor trailer is $1.94.  This is 1/16" or 1/192 metric (1 foot = 1/16th of an inch or one meter =192 meters) which is only 4% off of 1/200. About displaying it, I think it would look great in a diorama!  Now these are metal casts, so detail is somewhat lacking, but a tractor trailer in this scale is only 3.5 inches long (if it is 60 foot total length in real life).   So if the male figure is supposed to be 6 foot (72 inches) he will really be 74.88 inches, hardly noticeable. You must order $20 minimum.  I am toying with the idea of replacing the railings with photo-etch 1/200 scale naval railings.  They also say they will custom design an item, maybe in the same scale a giant dump truck???  I also have the North Sea oil rig which is 1:200 so I can use figures on that too (no tractor trialer though!) and that has far more railings than this does and the 1/200 IJN Yamato (which I also have) could use some figures.!

Thanks for the info. I want to get the oil rig too. I have the Launch Tower and shuttle. I heard that there is a PE set for it. It cost more than the kit itself. But, it replaces A LOT of stuff on the tower.