Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anyone from the USA bought parts from the Australian site "thepartsbox" before?

Just curious. I'm usually a little apprehensive when purchasing things out of country. I know the place has rave reviews from locals, but was wondering if it was a hassle for us folks here in the US, since they're on the opposite side of the globe. They've got quite a bit of awesome looking parts I'd like to get for some hot rods I have in mind.

I was a frequent buyer of parts from ThePartsBox.com for several years, only stopping with the recent strength of the Aussie dollar. Now that the AUSD has dropped down to the low 90's the cost is more in line with stateside items and I'm sure I'll resume buying from them. Shipment was prompt and total time from order to my door was typically in the neighbourhood of 2-3 weeks maximum. Parts quality, and they're eye for parts not found elsewhere, were second to none. Only once did I needed a part replaced. It had arrived damaged and the make-good arrived within 10 days. Replies to e-mail inquiries are typically within 24 hours. So... highly recommended. In fact I was such a fan I even built a tribute car almost entirely from they're parts!

DSCF4133-web.jpg

DSCF4130-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 10 months later...

I hear a lot of good things about The Parts Box but a friend pointed out a flaw with one of their kits. This is what the Parts Box Falcon looks like compared with the 1:1. Can you see what the flaw is in the kit ?

XB.jpg

XBBX.jpg

Edited by fractalign

I have ordered a couple of times.  The resin quality is not bad.  Certainly not up to Missing Link or Replicas and Miniatures standards, but the 2-3 air bubbles you fine will usually be easy to fill, and the flash is minimal.

hit and miss for me in terms of quality. I have brought several parts from them some are top notch then some are average for instance Their wheels, injector hats and superchargers are awesome but then recently brought a body that was warped and lines didn't match so needed alot of work and a centrifugal blower that looks like a piece of dog poo. 

Edited by gtcapri

My friend pointed out that the main flaw with the Falcon kit was the length of the  front fenders. If you look closely you will notice the section between the leading edge of the wheel arch and the bumper is longer on the kit than the 1:1.

I can't vouch for the actual quality of the kits but as far as accuracy goes that is a real issue. I don't own that many resin kits but I do have a have a Cavalier XB GT Falcon Hardtop. This particular model only cost me about $ 20.00 from memory and that was only last year. The proportions are far more accurate. I think if you are going to charge upwards of $100.00 for your product there is a certain expectation that the product will accurately represent the 1:1 its based off.

I suspect the Parts Box Version was moulded from an old promo model. It was quite common back then to make the promo models longer and leaner than the 1:1 models. The problem with this is that anyone looking to cast anything using one of these as the master needs to double check the measurements !

XB GT.jpg

XB.jpg

it doesn't look too bad, once you have it on the workbench. unfortunately there's little choice when it comes to 1/25 scale. Your comparo photo is a model too, and looks too short.

partsXBGT1_zpscyi6fcgq.jpg

Just for giggles, here's my Ford Falcon police interceptor

mm1interceptor10_zpsf1fc7204.jpg

Edited by kruleworld

it doesn't look too bad, once you have it on the workbench. unfortunately there's little choice when it comes to 1/25 scale. Your comparo photo is a model too, and looks too short.

partsXBGT1_zpscyi6fcgq.jpg

This just highlights more inaccuracies in it: boot contour, window shape and size, angle and curve of guard, oversized door handles the list goes on. The Cavalier offering was a mile better than this and cheaper. For the cost of the body and kit you'd expect a lot more.