Model Cars Magazine Forum

GM is at it again!

Slipshod engineering done by people who don't have the requisite knowledge and experience, and who are out-ranked by bean-counters who don't know anything about anything but beans is an industry-wide problem. These numerous recalls speak for themselves, and verify the truth of my assertion.

Chrysler Corp is not without its share of idiots either. I have one of their products in my home shop right now, and the stupidity of some of the engineering and design decisions that were made on the thing boggle the mind.

With the news about Ford's recall, it doesn't look like this holds true. And it goes to prove you shouldn't listen to the villian. They're never right.

There's an old saying. If you point a finger at someone, you'll find three fingers pointing back at you.

Scott

I don't have a dog in this fight. I bought a '14 Civic 3 weeks ago. The only Ford's I have are 60's vintage Mustangs and I have rebuilt them from the ground up....so recalls on them are my fault!!!!

But if I HAD to buy a GM or Ford today....I'd go with the odds.......50 million recalls for GM as of AUG.........could not find a total for Ford.....but the few I found totaled less than 2 million+-........I don't gamble....so Ford it'd be.

I know a lot of people will jump on the GM dog pile and trash GM over these recalls, but they're at the mercy of subcontractors that submit an assembly for approval, and upon receiving this start supplying the parts to GM for assembly catching substandard pieces are found only on the receipt of a complaint, or when a random quality control check finds a problem. Then it is a process of finding out when the supplier started shipping out the substandard parts, and how many have actually been used in production.

I applaud GM's decision to halt sales instead of proceeding with the sales of a car that is in high demand, then just notifying the owners of the problem.

I know a lot of people will jump on the GM dog pile and trash GM over these recalls, but they're at the mercy of subcontractors that submit an assembly for approval, and upon receiving this start supplying the parts to GM for assembly catching substandard pieces are found only on the receipt of a complaint, or when a random quality control check finds a problem. Then it is a process of finding out when the supplier started shipping out the substandard parts, and how many have actually been used in production.

Being "at the mercy of subcontractors" is rather like saying "the dog ate my homework". Something has a GM badge on it, it's GM's (or Ford's or Chrysler's, etc.) responsibility TO VERIFY PART QUALITY ON A CONTINUING BASIS.

Excusing poor quality because of poor quality-control procedures doesn't get it; neither does placing the blame on subs.

The BOSS of the job carries the responsibility for the quality of the job.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Being "at the mercy of subcontractors" is rather like saying "the dog ate my homework". Something has a GM badge on it, it's GM's (or Ford's or Chrysler's, etc.) responsibility TO VERIFY PART QUALITY ON A CONTINUING BASIS.

Excusing poor quality because of poor quality-control procedures doesn't get it; neither does placing the blame on subs.

Amen.

Scott

BRAVO!! That's the way my job was. Saying 'that's not my fault' got you fired. I saw it happen.

When you cross 10 million recalls it becomes a REAL issue and not 'Piling on',

Yes....my Honda Fit had a recall. BIG DIFFERENCE?? It was a performance issue. If the VTEC spring had broken the motor would be down on power. Honda issues recall. I take mine to one of the nation biggest Honda dealers. After recall complete I talk to mechanic. Had he found in broken spring in my motor??? NOPE....in fact in the 100+ recalls he had done not a single spring broke. BIG DIFFERENCE in that and death causing recalls.

... i still contend though- haters gonna hate

And I still contend that EVERYONE in the design and engineering cycle (and this includes accounting and management personnel) in EVERY car company gets paid enough money, has a good enough working environment (good lighting, heat and AC, comfortable chairs to sit in front of their little computer work-stations in, and plenty of bottled water, coffee and croissants during meetings), and has good enough tools (state-of-the-art computers and design and engineering software) to get the VAST majority of this stuff RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

No, there's no perfect car, but there is plenty of stupid and un-necessary complication, and just plain misguided decision making.

I dunno... I've been looking at cars and came across a 2006 Buick Lacrosse which I think is a good looking and comfortable car. It has 40.000 miles at a good price. But with all this mess I'm afraid to buy it!

I wouldn't worry too much. I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre with about 115,000 miles that's been the greatest car I've own up to this point. It went though one recall when it was fairly new. But, the dealer did a great job of taking care of it, and me. I've owned serval General Motors products over the years. Mostly Buicks. They've all given me pretty good service. I've never regretted buying one of them. Now I've had one Mercury and a Plymouth that were different stories.......

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I dunno... I've been looking at cars and came across a 2006 Buick Lacrosse which I think is a good looking and comfortable car. It has 40.000 miles at a good price. But with all this mess I'm afraid to buy it!

Here's a complaints list on the car, with additional info on subsequent screens. http://www.carcomplaints.com/Buick/LaCrosse/2006/

At first glance, it looks like a pretty good car.

I'm sure there's much more data available online.

Here's more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2006/buick/lacrosse/recalls/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

and yet none of them vettes made it to the public, only 2 were defective, diff. is it's gm. their a zero for recalling cars that were'nt sold, honda is a hero for recalling cars already sold-makes no sense.

you might want to talk to your mechanic, there's been 9 recalls issued for the Fit, & 4 since your spring issue.

http://wemakeitsafer.com/vehicle-recall/Honda-FIT-Recall-9432398

as before, NO ONE builds the perfect vehicle, this is a way of life wether we like it or not, bean counters, outsourcing, who knows, whatever it takes to keep the monster rolling. just shows we the consumer need to do all our homework when purchasing (and leave the color choice to the wife). i still contend though- haters gonna hate

Thanks for the heads up on Fit recalls....but 2009 Fit S types only have had the one VTEC recall.

I am the original buyer and as such Honda stays in VERY good contact with me. And they have started the same communication with our new 2014 Civic coupe that is 3 weeks old.

Quick and efficient communication has been one constant with all my Honda's going back to 1990 Civic....my first Honda.

I would never try and convince anyone a company of any kind is perfect 100% of the time. Make a machine...it can break.

(had more issues with my Mercedes Benz built Smart than any Honda)

HOW they handle it and in a timely manner shows a different corporate culture.

Edited by Dave Van

Another day... another GM recall.

Yes, another one! From CBS News this morning:

General Motors announced Thursday that it is recalling 117,651 vehicles from the 2013 and 2014 model years for a defect that could cause them to stall.

The recall involves the Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Traverse, Express and Silverado; the Cadillac CTS, Escalade and Escalade ESV; the GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Acadia, Savana and Sierra; and the Buick Enclave.

GM said metal slivers in the chassis control module could cause an electrical short. If that happens, the vehicle could stall.

Here is another recall from Ford, may12.

594,785 2013-'14 Ford Escape and C-Max vehicles because errors in the programming software may result in a delayed deployment of the side curtain airbag.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2013-14-ford-escape-c-max-recalled-for-possible-airbag-deployment-delay.html

If this is a thread about GM only i apologize. I just find demonizing a brand/corp ignorant when it happens to so many.

What is it with GM and metal slivers??? That was the issue with a few blown motors in new Vettes.

But I see no real negative impact for GM......a good family friend I saw in town the other day showed me her new Chevy Equinox....when I asked about GM recalls causing any worries......this intelligent person that owns lots of real estate and businesses gave me a blank look.....'Recalls??'.....

Full speed ahead GM.....no worries here!!!! :P

I just find demonizing a brand/corp ignorant....

Posting news of the latest GM recall isn't "demonizing" GM. It's reporting the facts. If you want to start a Ford recall topic, go right ahead.

GM has now recalled more vehicles this year alone than the total number they have sold in the last five years.