Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Kits Were Molded in Green?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, Greg Myers said:

What's with this fascination with green plastic ?

On 4/6/2021 at 6:27 PM, Snake45 said:

I was looking for a few green cars to add to my Polished Plastic collection. B)

Thanks to this thread, I've been able to add a few molded-green cars to my stash. Here's the first two I've managed to finish for my Polished Plastic shelf, just in the last month or so: AMT Craftsman '66 Skylark GS, and AMT Cobra 260. 

66SkylarkB120.jpg.5984e6c39542c7d03665f76885174d4d.jpg

CobraGBGreen02.jpg.c87ca59f504a9fb55819de982f2d938f.jpg

11 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I already posted this one, but here are some pics of the body.

20210428_233821.jpg

I'm not a fan of that body style, but that's nice green plastic! If I ever just happen to run across one of these cheap, I'll pick it up. Thanks! B)

On 9/13/2014 at 10:22 AM, ChrisPflug said:

MPC 1970 Cuda annual in lime green

I remember that one, I was 15 years old when I bought one. It's still around here somewhere, I'm not sure where since my old shack is huge and models are scattered all over the place. I was very unhappy with it because the green pigment in the plastic was so thin that you could see through it. I made the mistake of painting the interior black and you can imagine how bad the result was. 

On 9/13/2014 at 9:49 AM, Dave Van said:

I have seen JoHan kits in about every color possible........I have a nice 73 Javelin kit in a odd dark green........

I Think John used whatever was CHEAP that week!

I have that Javelin too, it is an odd color and you're right. But AMC actually had that color in '73 and I think they called it fairway green. I also agree that Jo-Han just used whatever happened to available cheap to buy. The quality of Jo-Han kits got really awful in the 70's. The chrome plated parts trees were the worst ever, half chromed and half wasn't. 

Strangely enough, they used colored plastic to mold the chrome trees too, they should have used white (as they had done in earlier years). I bought an Eldorado Snap kit molded in blue and they chromed the wrong side of the chrome parts tree, so the bumpers, grilles and wheels were also blue. 

• 4 months later...

Prior posts mention the Jo-Han '63 Olds Stafire. From this eBay photo, it appears the green bled back a year further. I suppose the question might be, what Jo-Han kits weren't molded in green?

20373314_Green62Olds.jpg.8dddab57b555593fe1e12f1d6464524d.jpg

Spotted this Revell 1/32 scale '60s Mustang 2+2 in tasty mint in a recent eBay auction, too.

520095674_Green32scaleMustang.jpg.bb011f4be1db7f73953ff53a06ec91d9.jpg