Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pour Le Patron Jan 28/08

Mr. Can Am Garage

I started this build a few days ago and have made a fair bit of progress since then.

Translated - For The Boss. Monsieur Ettoire Bugatti liked being called the Boss. This is the first of five Bugattis that I have to build.

DSCF5916-vi.jpg

Testors Gloss Dark Sea Blue over Tamiya sprays Gloss Black.

DSCF6717-vi.jpg

End day 1.

DSCF6719-vi.jpg

Everything you see is painted. Frame rails are gloss black, springs are gunmetal, rear axle is semi gloss black and the differential is aluminium.

End day 2.

Progress is slow but it is progress.

DSCF6720-vi.jpg

The rear suspension is complete. The front would have been too IF the the guys in the shop had put it on properly.

End day 3.

We made real progress today.

DSCF6722-vi.jpg

Not only is the front suspension in place but...

DSCF6721-vi.jpg

So are the fenders!

DSCF6724-vi.jpg

The engine's in just for photography purposes.

End day 4.

DSCF6726-vi.jpg.

The engine is coming along.

End day 6.

Edited by Mr. Can Am Garage

I believe it holds a number of records for a production car: Most expensive ($20,000.00 w/o the coachwork $43,000.00 new) not exactly a hot seller in 1931-depression, last auctioned over ten years ago for a mere 8.7 million (1987), biggest, and has one of the longest wheel base 15 feet, and largest engine 12.7 liter straight 8. It once sold for $350 (the storage fee) after it was left in a barn with a cracked block from a guy who didn't know what it was just that it was a headach and there was a storage fee on it. It's located in the Henry Ford Museum and is suspected fetch well over $10M, but it's not for sale.

5! that's more than Bugatti built. :P

Edited by CAL

I believe it holds a number of records for a production car: Most expensive ($20,000.00 w/o the coachwork $43,000.00 new) not exactly a hot seller in 1931-depression, last auctioned over ten years ago for a mere 8.7 million (1987), biggest, and has one of the longest wheel base 15 feet, and largest engine 12.7 liter straight 8. It once sold for $350 (the storage fee) after it was left in a barn with a cracked block from a guy who didn't know what it was just that it was a headach and there was a storage fee on it. It's located in the Henry Ford Museum and is suspected fetch well over $10M, but it's not for sale.

5! that's more than Bugatti built. ;)

Bugatti built 7 Royales. There are kits of three different ones - The Coupe Napoleon (which is actually a re-bodied car), The Berline De Voyage, and the Royale Victoria. The first two are by Italeri. The third by Lindberg.

Slight correction to what you wrote above. The Royale that was left in the barn is the Royale Victoria. When it was restored (before it ended up in the Henry Ford Museum), the original Bugatti straight 8 was not cracked but the intake manifold was. It was replaced with a custom made 4 carb manifold. Lindberg's kit builds up like that. You'd need a second of either of the Italeri Royales to build a factory stock replica of the Victoria.

DSCF6727a-vi.jpg

The engine is in the chassis to stay.

DSCF6728a-vi.jpg

The wheels aren't. They're on as I was getting tired of seeing it sitting on jack stands.

BTW, I've finally decided to take advantage of Picasa. What follows are the original unmodified photos. What you see above is what was accomplished with Picasa in less than a minute per photo.

DSCF6727-vi.jpg

DSCF6728a-vi.jpg

End day 7.

Edited by Mr. Can Am Garage

Would you look at what followed me home from Canadian Tire today!

DSCF6730-vi.jpg

Two different bottles of Meguiars Professional. Both were on sale! All I'd gone there for was a rattle can of generic white lacquer primer. SCORE!

So I just HAD to try it.

DSCF6732a-vi.jpg

The fenders of the big Bug. bit the bullet! You can easily see the difference between the unpolished body and the polished and waxed fenders.

DSCF6733a-vi.jpg

Check the lip of the fender. You can see Jackson's reflection in it! I'm sold on the stuff!

Bugatti built 7 Royales. There are kits of three different ones - The Coupe Napoleon (which is actually a re-bodied car), The Berline De Voyage, and the Royale Victoria. The first two are by Italeri. The third by Lindberg.

Slight correction to what you wrote above. The Royale that was left in the barn is the Royale Victoria. When it was restored (before it ended up in the Henry Ford Museum), the original Bugatti straight 8 was not cracked but the intake manifold was. It was replaced with a custom made 4 carb manifold. Lindberg's kit builds up like that. You'd need a second of either of the Italeri Royales to build a factory stock replica of the Victoria.

Slight correction once more. Bugatti only built six of the Royale chassis. The seventh was built by the Schlumpf brothers in the Sixties.

The Royale Victoria was based on the second Royale chassis built by Bugatti (chassis no. 41121). It was sold new in 1932 to a German obstetrician named Josef Fuchs. The price for the chassis alone was 41,000 $, in 1932 depression era money. So much for your 20,000 stated elsewhere in this thread. 20k bought you a complete Duesenberg including a custom body. The Royale chassis alone was more than twice that much.

The car was the first Royale to receive Rembrandt Bugatti's Elephant sculpture as a radiator mascot, at the request of Dr. Fuchs. The Victoria coachwork was made by Munich coachbuilder Weinberger. This body is still on the car as it stands in the Henry Ford Museum, but unfortunately it is painted an ugly shade of cream ("oyster white") and green. Originally Dr. Fuchs had his Royale painted in black with yellow outlines. This original colour scheme can be seen on Gerald Wingrove's model, pictures of which are on his website. Oh, and it was indeed the block that had cracked in Winter 1937-1938. The manifold with the four Stromberg carbs was fabricated in addition to repairing the block during the restoration of the car.

I really like the buildup of the Coupe Napoleon. It honestly does the real car justice. I always postponed building a Royale, because I'm scared of painting anything black. May I ask which paint and technique you used?

One part refused to fit properly but seeing as the hood ain't gonna open, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Erm. Which part would that be?

BTW.,I think it's quite easy to cut the hood so it can open.

How will you replicate the Chinese silk interior? I'm talking about this interior:

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y&am...1&pID=15880

I have never figured out a way how to replicate this. This and the fact that the car is black are the reasons why I never attempted to build this model.

Edited by Junkman

Have you thought of a way to replicate the red striping on the wheels yet? How will you replicate the chinese silk interior?

I have never figured out how to do this. These and the fact that the car is black are the reasons why I never attempted to build this model.

The long tube for the plug wires. It absolutely flat refused to sit flat against the engine block.

The only thing stopping me from opening the hood is the fact that I didn't do it before I painted the body. I just can't bring myself to try and risk ruining the paint.

Red striping on the wheels? No problem! I've been adding my own stripes to muscle car tires for years. The same tools and technique that work on a muscle car will work on a Bugatti.

Silk interior? Again, not a problem as it's being built to fit in to the Box Stock category. Most contests (or at least the ones I go to) don't even allow flocking.

Slight correction once more. Bugatti only built six of the Royale chassis. The seventh was built by the Schlumpf brothers in the Sixties.

The Royale Victoria was based on the second Royale chassis built by Bugatti (chassis no. 41121). It was sold new in 1932 to a German obstetrician named Josef Fuchs. The price for the chassis alone was 41,000 $, in 1932 depression era money. So much for your 20,000 stated elsewhere in this thread. 20k bought you a complete Duesenberg including a custom body. The Royale chassis alone was more than twice that much.

The car was the first Royale to receive Rembrandt Bugatti's Elephant sculpture as a radiator mascot, at the request of Dr. Fuchs. The Victoria coachwork was made by Munich coachbuilder Weinberger. This body is still on the car as it stands in the Henry Ford Museum, but unfortunately it is painted an ugly shade of cream ("oyster white") and green. Originally Dr. Fuchs had his Royale painted in black with yellow outlines. This original colour scheme can be seen on Gerald Wingrove's model, pictures of which are on his website. Oh, and it was indeed the block that had cracked in Winter 1937-1938. The manifold with the four Stromberg carbs was fabricated in addition to repairing the block during the restoration of the car.

I really like the buildup of the Coupe Napoleon. It honestly does the real car justice. I always postponed building a Royale, because I'm scared of painting anything black. May I ask which paint and technique you used?

I stand corrected.

The black is Tamiya sprays gloss black. First coat applied straight from the rattle can. Anything beyond that was applied with an airbrush.

It was then polished with Maguiars Professional Show Car Glaze and High Tech Yellow Wax.

DSCF67411-vi.jpg

Today has been work on the interior and polish the body. The driver's area is blue. The back area is black, both leather.

DSCF67401-vi.jpg

Overall shot. All of the body has been polished. Most of it has been waxed.

DSCF67421-vi.jpg

You think it shines? What you're seeing in the back wall are some 1/48 airplane leanding gear doors that just happened to be there. I never thought they'd show in the reflection.

I first saw this on another forum, it sure is neat to see some classics being built.

The Coupe Napoleon was Ettore's personal vehicle and the Schlumpfs bought this from the family.

The Schlumpf brothers started to creat another Royale, a roadster, for a fashion house owner called Edsers. As he never intended to drive at night it had no headlamps. I think it is finished and on display in the Mulhouse museum now.

I saw this car at the Schlumpf museum in Mulhouse France about 16 years ago, Its HUGE.It is(was) parked on stands, off the ground next to another Royale with a body by Park Ward belonging to a Captain C.S.Foster..

One week later they,the French, had shipped over the other 4 to display all 6 in Paris.

The Edsers car had not been completed at that time.

Tom Wheatcroft, collector and owner of Donnington race track in the UK, had an exact replica of the Coupe Napoleon built.

If you plan visiting the museum and also Paris, The Bugatti family grave is in Pere Lachaise cemitery,a few steps from the grave of Edith Piaf

There is a really great book called 'The Schlumpf Obsession' that tells the whole story of the collection, full of photo's. Well worth seeking out on the Bay.

How will you replicate the Chinese silk interior? I'm talking about this interior:

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?viewPic=y&am...1&pID=15880

I have never figured out a way how to replicate this. This and the fact that the car is black are the reasons why I never attempted to build this model.

How about finding a photo of the fabric, then playing with a photoshop kind of thing then printing it on some decal sheet? Just an idea but I'm no expert so do not know if it would work.

John

How about finding a photo of the fabric, then playing with a photoshop kind of thing then printing it on some decal sheet? Just an idea but I'm no expert so do not know if it would work.

John

I can't find a photo except the one on the link I posted. I also discussed this with a friend, who told me that the interior might not be original. He has 'heard' it was commissioned by the Schlumpf brothers to suit their taste during the restoration of the car. I find this hard to believe since they usually were quite accurate with their restorations and if I look at the overall setup of their museum, I suggest their taste was impeccable. No Bugatti site gives clear info about this subject. Most of them are downright misleading and indeed, I find the info I can obtain about the 'most magnificient car of all times' built by a legendary make quite dismal. I can read more useful stuff about a bl00dy Trabant of all things.

Hi Junkman, Sorry to put a spanner in the works but the Schlumpf museum has since been refurbished since I visited all those years back when it still resembled almost how it was found. It is the French who have added the dramataic lighting and fancy displays.

In the period 1977 to about mid 1990's the museum consisted of row upon row of cars flanked by replicas of lighting situated on the bridge 'Pont Alexandre III' in Paris, the cars being displayed upon white ballast all through the museum. occasionally a cardboard cutout of Jean Bugatti or a few pictures of the cars in natural surroundings were the only break in the monotony.

The Schlumpfs even had their own champagne which they payed a producer to label up for them rather than produce there own.

Yes the cars were all kept running but were hardly ever to run again.

Most of my photo's are in storage but if time allows I will scan a couple of pics from the Schlumpf book so keep looking in, and if you ever get the chance to visit it will be well worth it.

John

I first saw this on another forum, it sure is neat to see some classics being built.

The Coupe Napoleon was Ettore's personal vehicle and the Schlumpfs bought this from the family.

The Schlumpf brothers started to creat another Royale, a roadster, for a fashion house owner called Edsers. As he never intended to drive at night it had no headlamps. I think it is finished and on display in the Mulhouse museum now.

I saw this car at the Schlumpf museum in Mulhouse France about 16 years ago, Its HUGE.It is(was) parked on stands, off the ground next to another Royale with a body by Park Ward belonging to a Captain C.S.Foster..

One week later they,the French, had shipped over the other 4 to display all 6 in Paris.

The Edsers car had not been completed at that time.

Tom Wheatcroft, collector and owner of Donnington race track in the UK, had an exact replica of the Coupe Napoleon built.

If you plan visiting the museum and also Paris, The Bugatti family grave is in Pere Lachaise cemitery,a few steps from the grave of Edith Piaf

There is a really great book called 'The Schlumpf Obsession' that tells the whole story of the collection, full of photo's. Well worth seeking out on the Bay.

The Schlumpf brothers did not create a Royale for Armand Esders. Bugatti did. The Esders roadster was the first of the Royales being sold (the second one was the car for Dr. Fuchs, which is the one in the Henry Ford Museum, the third one was the limousine for Captain Foster. The three remaining cars stayed in the Bugatti family until they were sold as used cars when the company went belly up). The original Esders roadster is still with us today (like all six Bugatti built Royales, which in itsself is remarkable), but now has a Coupe De Ville body by Binder.

The Schlumpf brothers started to build a copy of the Esders roadster in the Sixties from leftover parts, an engine from an 'Autorail' and a lot of stuff made with original Bugatti tools they had aquired when they bought out the bankrupt Bugatti factory. This unfinished copy fell in the hands of the French government when it seized the Schlumpf property soviet style in the late Seventies. Work has continued and the car is now finished and on display in the Mulhouse museum.

The Wheatcroft 'Royale' is not a copy, but a replica. It neither contains a single original Bugatti part, nor is it made from the same materials.

Also, the Coupe Napoleon was not bought from the Bugatti family by the Schlumpfs. It was part of the John Shakespeare collection in the States and they purchased it from him in 1963 or 1964 - together with almost 40 other Bugattis.

Edited by Junkman