Model Cars Magazine Forum

Little Known Car Facts # 6 Brodie knobs / Suicide Knobs / Neckers Knobs

Greg Myers

My lawn mower has one on it, does that count? We call them a Barney knob, just local slang .

Around here if you are Handicapped you can have one on your car. They say with the power steering you don't need it and when steering wheel come back to center fast the knob can hit your hand and break it . Not sure if it is true about breaking your hand but that is what we were told in drivers ed. I do know that when in the field on a tractor it hurts when you get hit by one.

My lawn mower has one on it, does that count? We call them a Barney knob, just local slang .

Around here if you are Handicapped you can have one on your car. They say with the power steering you don't need it and when steering wheel come back to center fast the knob can hit your hand and break it . Not sure if it is true about breaking your hand but that is what we were told in drivers ed. I do know that when in the field on a tractor it hurts when you get hit by one.

steerknob.jpg

I've put them on several of my Custom models. I usually carefully drill a small hole or depression in the steering wheel and glue on a round headed shirt pin head that I'll either leave chrome, or I'll paint it a color that matches the interior.

Cool tip, and thanks. I have just the place for one...

We called 'em "necker" knobs, without the s.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember that necking with a pretty girl while driving could be significantly more distracting than texting. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 years later...
On 9/14/2014 at 2:29 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Cool tip, and thanks. I have just the place for one...

We called 'em "necker" knobs, without the s.

It's been a while, but I seem to remember that necking with a pretty girl while driving could be significantly more distracting than texting. B)

Yes driving and necking at the same time is very distracting. Wow, the "good old days."

17 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

1964 .High School shop teacher told us, "If it's worth doing at all, pull over and use both hands":P

He got that right. When these became popular it was acceptable to drive with your left hand on the knob, remember no power steering back then, and your right in a head lock on some innocent young damsel who's trying to grab the door handle on the right so she can escape.     At least that's how I remember it.