Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opel Blitz Cab?

I know Italeri's Opel Blitz is a popular kit to bash with 40-50's era American trucks, and that Opel had ties to GM. I have two of these kits I got with the intent of using them to build some classic American medium duty trucks, but I was wondering, did the cab share any styling with American trucks? Just curious if the cabs might be able to be converted into any year GMC or Chevy or was the sheet metal unique to Germany?

I know Italeri's Opel Blitz is a popular kit to bash with 40-50's era American trucks, and that Opel had ties to GM. I have two of these kits I got with the intent of using them to build some classic American medium duty trucks, but I was wondering, did the cab share any styling with American trucks? Just curious if the cabs might be able to be converted into any year GMC or Chevy or was the sheet metal unique to Germany?

Don't know about any U.S trucks sharing the Blitz cab, but after the 2nd world war, they were made in England under the Bedford name.

Probably not, Germany didn't typically "copy" another design. So I would have to say proabably unique to Opel whereas GM/GMC in that era 3 ton truck had a wrap around grill and the Blitz, like most Greman trucks were flat. They look more like a Ford than a GM/GMC at least in the nose.

I didn't know about the postwar Bedford / Opel connection, didn't FWD and Bedford have a connection at one time?

GM bought out Opel in the late 20's so I thought the Opel Blitz might have shared some some of the sheet metal with one of the GM built trucks. I know the grill is probably unique to Open just as the Chevy and GMC trucks had their own grills, just thought maybe further back.

Not much online about the heritage of of the Blitz outside of its use in WW2. Even the Opel site doesn't have much, it kind of skirts around the 30-40's so the Blitz is pretty well ommited from their history.

Really just looking to see if I might have the start to another project hidden in spare parts. Thanks

I didn't know about the postwar Bedford / Opel connection, didn't FWD and Bedford have a connection at one time?

GM bought out Opel in the late 20's so I thought the Opel Blitz might have shared some some of the sheet metal with one of the GM built trucks. I know the grill is probably unique to Open just as the Chevy and GMC trucks had their own grills, just thought maybe further back.

Not much online about the heritage of of the Blitz outside of its use in WW2. Even the Opel site doesn't have much, it kind of skirts around the 30-40's so the Blitz is pretty well ommited from their history.

Really just looking to see if I might have the start to another project hidden in spare parts. Thanks

Yes, Bedford continued to make the Blitz til 1987.

GM aquired Opel, however, in 1940 after the Nazi party had taken over passenger car production GM wrote Opel off as a complete loss. So there was no ties to GM when the Blitz was being made.

Further back Opel was building cars.

All the German companies pretty much avoid that part of their history.

BMW

Mercedes Benz

Damiler Benz

Krupp

Porsche

Bosch

Ford AG

Carl Ziess

Kodak AG

Maybach

Messerschmitt

and on and on and on but all had their part in WWII.

The bedford "Blitz" made until 1987 had nothing to do with the 2nd WW Opel Blitz, the Bedford Blitz was the Export name of the Bedford CF available in England

78CF.jpg

It was AWD who bought Bedford from GM in 1986, but they went bankrupt in 1992

Edited by GeeBee

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, Bedford continued to make the Blitz til 1987.

GM aquired Opel, however, in 1940 after the Nazi party had taken over passenger car production GM wrote Opel off as a complete loss. So there was no ties to GM when the Blitz was being made.

Further back Opel was building cars.

All the German companies pretty much avoid that part of their history.

BMW

Mercedes Benz

Damiler Benz

Krupp

Porsche

Bosch

Ford AG

Carl Ziess

Kodak AG

Maybach

Messerschmitt

and on and on and on but all had their part in WWII.

<<GM aquired Opel, however, in 1940 after the Nazi party had taken over passenger car production GM wrote Opel off as a complete loss. So there was no ties to GM when the Blitz was being made.>>

Opel was Buick's import in the early-60's and continued to be for years. (I did services, electrical, warranty, and clutch replacements on them at Buick Dealerships for eons...)

<<GM aquired Opel, however, in 1940 after the Nazi party had taken over passenger car production GM wrote Opel off as a complete loss. So there was no ties to GM when the Blitz was being made.>>

Opel was Buick's import in the early-60's and continued to be for years. (I did services, electrical, warranty, and clutch replacements on them at Buick Dealerships for eons...)

It wasn't until 1948 GM regained any ties with Opel, at least what was left of it, and part of Opel was already siezed by the Russians in 1945 and much of Opel was distroyed by Allied Bombings in 1944.