Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decals for the Glidden Fairmont

Does anyone make decals for the blue and white Bob Glidden Fairmont? I have one of Scott's excellent bodies, and I am slowly gathering parts for the project. I have read here from time to time that different people intended to make the decals, however I haven't seen anyone advertise them as complete and available.

I was thinking the same the other day, saw several decal artwork for the two Glidden Fairmonts, Dyno Don and even a Lee Hunter car, but it seem it never came to be or put into the market, that I know of!!

When I did my scrachtbuilt Fairmont I did the white and blue, ended painting all the blue lines with tamiya spray can paints and tamiya yellow tape, with patience and time it can be done, I just got one of the "pinstripe" a little out of shape but is because I did not double check before painting.

Now I to working on one (my second actually) of Scott superb Fairmont body, doing the Glidden 1979 undefeated white/blue and red car, already painted and just awaiting completion, will be using the Slix decals Glidden EXP decals for the blue letter BOB GLIDDEN name and some sponsors. Slix have the Pinto decals that are the same white, red and blue as the Fairmont. ...and could work with the Scott, Fairmont body. MUST SAY...Scott Fairmont body is a superb product and in my personal opinion a dream to prep and get ready to paint and detail....the same goes with all the other great goodies he have available..

I agree Fred, Scott's work is superb, and it helps people like me who want to stretch their limits and learn. I have always been a Glidden fan, the blue and white car was when I first became aware of his talent. I have obtained a few of his other cars, both kit and aftermarket, as well as some decals to match. My painting skills aren't great, so I was really hoping someone would produce a set for the blue and white car.

Mark, I have talked to Gene and Becky at Slixx. The blue and white decals for Bob Glidden's Fairmont are something they are looking at doing, but no time frame has been set. I am also working on a new body that will replicate that car, with the enlarged rear wheel well openings and modified front bumper treatment. The reworked front end isn't shown in the pics, below.

Gliddenbody10high_zpsaf8615dd.jpg

Gliddenbody10level_zpsf29f3c34.jpg

Gliddenbody9low_zpse24acbc2.jpg

Gliddenbody830level_zps741343a6.jpg

That's great news Scott, Thank you for sharing. Hopefully they see how many "views" my question generated. They may not all be buyers, or fans, but I'm sure there is a bunch there. Thanks again for taking the time to share your in progress pics, I know I learn from them.

I found this image on the web a few months ago. I'm not sure who created them but they look pretty good, although the blue is a little on the light side and the Glidden text appears to be incorrect.

I believe that I saw these decals tied in with Whiskey Ridge resin and decals and I simply won't be doing any business with them but at least the decal could create a good masking opportunity to paint the scheme yourself.

IMG_158494323363882-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Thank you for the idea Wayne, but I prefer to support Scott, I've read some of the posts regarding "Whiskey Ridge". Chuck I wish you would have done them, my experience is that your decals and resin products are awesome.

Edited by Bird12

Thank you for the idea Wayne, but I prefer to support Scott, I've read some of the posts regarding "Whiskey Ridge". Chuck I wish you would have done them, my experience is that your decals and resin products are awesome.

I wasn't in any way showing any support for Whiskey Ridge, just simply showing the image that I found that also shows up in their listings. I don't even know if the original creator of these decals is involved with WR.

Chuck, you should definitely finish the red, white and blue version as well as the blue and white. I've been wanting to do this version and your decals are top notch.

• 1 year later...

Mark - While this reply doesn't relate directly to your question about Glidden decals, it does tie into the new body I posted pictures of last September and the development of decals for it.  Ed has started casting Glidden's later body.  I am including a few pictures of it he sent me.  He wanted me to make sure and mention that these bodies were test shots.  I think Ed has done a fantastic job on it!  Hopefully it'll only be a couple weeks before I'll have them on-hand.  The two features on this body that differ from my original body is obviously the larger, squared out rear wheel well openings.  A much less noticeable detail is that I lowered the front bumper .060" of an inch and added a filler strip between the grille and the bumper to replicate that "trick" that Bob employed on his two later cars.

230 High.JPG

4 OClock Profile.jpg

245 OClock Profile.jpg

Body Underside.jpg

Bodies, Front and Rear.jpg

Edited by futurattraction

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...