Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Chrysler New Yorker

Ramfins59

Hi gang. I'm moving along on this '59 Chrysler New Yorker promo that I picked up on EBAY last year. I sanded the mold lines and primed and painted it with a Duplicolor Sand color and Tamiya Red Brown in the side trim insert. It was just clearcoated with Duplicolor today so it will be a couple of days before I can polish it out and then do the BMF trim work.

1959CHRYSLERNEWYORKER1024x750-vi.jpg

This did not come with an interior so I'll be using a resin interior from Modelhaus from a '59 Dodge. All of the interior parts are taking a bath in Westleys Bleche White. I'm planning on a Brown and Tan color combo for it.

More to come as it happens. Thanks for looking in on this and as always, all comments and critiques are welcome.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your encouraging words.

Bill, yes I did get very lucky several times on my EBAY bids. I did get outbid many, many times on several cars but patience pays off and another one eventually comes along for a much cheaper price. I was able to get this one for $42 + $7 shipping. I consider it a real score when I can pick up one of these old promos for under $50. No I wasn't planning on using the Chrysler chassis on this car. I'm leaving it as a Curbside model.

Charlie, I'm a fan of everything from the 50's.

Jeff, no, I have no plans to do any conversion work on this car.

I'm liking it Richard! But you should expect as much from me. You & I are on the same wave length when it comes to these old kits. I really wish some resin caster along the way would have done an interior for some of these old X-EL promos. I have the '59 Desoto 4 door hardtop that I had begun converting into a convertible years ago, but kind of gave up on it due to the lack of interior. Maybe some day, eh? :) Steve

Huh, it figures that now I see a body I really like and it costs $50 lol. Why is it so expensive? Are there any cheaper alternatives for that model, like a non-promo or something?

This model was never done in kit form Hench, so you're only option is a promo. The original promos that were done by Johan in '59 were made of a type of plastic that usually warped horribly over time, so you're best bet is going to be an X-EL repop. X-EL took over the molds from Johan in the 80s & re-did some of these old models in styrene. Problem is, X-EL is now out of business & every indication is that the molds are no longer & these old models will probably never be made again. Therefore, the prices only rise over time. I doubt if anybody has done, or will do a resin cast kit of the '59 New Yorker, so if you really want one, you're kind of stuck. Steve

Thanks again everyone.

Philo, no, I've never painted anything with that shade of paint yet...... Is that Copper paint?

Hench, Steven is right on everything he said. Your only option is to find one of these promos on EBAY or from a vendor at a model show...... but be prepared to spend some bucks for one.

Steve, if you're not too much of a stickler about accuracy, you could use Modelhaus' '59 Dodge interior for the '59 DeSoto. That's what I have planned for the one I have in my TO DO pile.

Richard, I know I'm going to like this - my sort of model and you always do them so well. Looking forward to progress.

I'm a big fan of the X-EL re-issues and have bought them whenever I could. Here is my 59 Chrysler which I haven't done anything with yet. The lighter blue is bare plastic, the darker blue is the original paint, and I will leave it like that, just polish and foil. Not sure yet what to do with the side trim, probably aliminum and foil.

d6219b14-1779-4eda-9af3-8a610ff7735c_zps

After a lot of searching I bought this Modelhaus interior - it's from their 60 Chrysler wagon and the only half-way suitable 4-door interior I could find. I've hacked off the rear compartment and will add a package shelf. But I'm sure your solution will work just as well.

0bfa9a9c-4ac5-4a1b-8fd0-de08f67a1c2d_zps

And here's the 59 DeSoto (which the previous owner had foiled). I will have to paint the blue bits which are too matt to be polished.

(Hope you don't mind me intruding on your thread to this extent.)

28ac505b-cee4-4ee4-8cb5-0b117ac91d50_zps

Thank you Peter and Dave.

Peter, I don't mind at all, you're not intruding. That's a great idea using the Chrysler wagon interior in your Chrysler promo. I also have a '59 DeSoto in my TO DO pile that I'll again be using a Modelhaus '59 Dodge resin interior in.

Dave, I agree it's a shame that these great cars can't be made anymore. We can only hope that maybe someday one of the manufacturers will tool some of them up as kits. Until then we've got to search for these old promos.