Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Chevelle 300 Build

kovey10

Here's a photo of my '66 300 Paul. It's a combination of the Revell '67 Chevelle, Revell '66 El Camino and the Monogram '66. The current plan is Butternut Yellow with a nasty big block or modern LS engine under the hood.

014_zps2abfadd2.jpg

Here's the list of what still needs to be done/corrected.

The drip rail at the top corner of the quarter window needs to be rounded slightly

The door/window post needs to be leaned back parallel with the wing glass

The wing glass needs to be cut loose, shaved down at the front, frame added and re installed

The tulip panel needs to be built up slightly more and new trim at the bottom of the rear window added. Thanx to my friend, the tulip panel at the window opening needs to be rounded slightly across it. It isn't straight like the SS.

The tail light panel needs to be trimmed at the bottom to get the rear bumper positioned properly

That's it until I find the next issue.

Thanx Paul! It still needs some tweaking. But, it's getting there slowly. I used the front fenders, firewall, hood, grille/bumper and wheel covers from the El Camino. They were the leftovers from when I converted a '66 El Camino into a '67.

Thanx Paul! It still needs some tweaking. But, it's getting there slowly. I used the front fenders, firewall, hood, grille/bumper and wheel covers from the El Camino. They were the leftovers from when I converted a '66 El Camino into a '67.

I'm hoping to do that conversion myself sometime. Did you post any in-progress pictures of it here? I'm particularly interested in how to handle the taillights.

I'm hoping to do that conversion myself sometime. Did you post any in-progress pictures of it here? I'm particularly interested in how to handle the taillights.

No. I don't have any progress photos. I started the '66 conversion well over a year ago. Maybe two. The '66 to '67 El Camino conversion was done around seven years ago. I take progress photos. But, after the model is built, I delete all of them but a couple.

I agree with you, but hey, every now and then a guy just wants to build something different, for whatever reason. B)

Exactly! I don't want the same models everyone else has. That's boring to me. I want something different. Plus, I love sleepers. I'm getting close to having the body modifications on my '66 done. At the last minute, I decided to re work the trim around the rear window. The 300 has flat trim where the kit's SS trim has a reveal. I got it cut out. I just have to replace it. Now that I know how to do this pretty easily, I'm thinking a four door '67 may be in the not too distant future.

Exactly! I don't want the same models everyone else has. That's boring to me. I want something different. Plus, I love sleepers. I'm getting close to having the body modifications on my '66 done. At the last minute, I decided to re work the trim around the rear window. The 300 has flat trim where the kit's SS trim has a reveal. I got it cut out. I just have to replace it. Now that I know how to do this pretty easily, I'm thinking a four door '67 may be in the not too distant future.

Couldn't agree more. For as long as I can remember I've been in love with plain. Jane sleepers. A 4 door would be really cool too. I gotta get working on my conversions now!