Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Aston Martin DB 4 - Aurora Kit 1965/Monogram Reissue 1991

Plastheniker

Superb looking model of the Aston and in my favorite color. I know the kit and all that took to make it look soooooo good....actually. ..GREAT....is the stuff that make you remember that nothing is impossible in this hobby....just extremely difficult sometimes! !! The craftmanship is superb and the final result in the model look, detail and lines....even more.

Thanks for all comments!

Another Plastheniker masterpiece. Just superb. Okay, your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is the Aurora Maserati 3500 GTi. Only Matt Bacon has conquered the inaccuracies in this kit, which requires a new nose and front roofline. I am loaded with reference on this if you need it.

Skip, even if I prefer scratch building vintage trucks like this

Scratch Built 1951 Büssing 12000 U13 6x4 Underfloor Engine Truck http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82042

for about 10 years I am still building cars now and then as a change of pace.

Since the 1:1 Maserati is one of my all-time favourite cars it is on top of my car agenda if there will be a re-release.

Scratch building trucks, however, is very time-consuming (at least 1000 hours per model) and I know that the Aurora/Monogram requires a lot of work.

So what? My whole life is still ahead of me :rolleyes: .

Edited by Plastheniker

Are those wheels from the kit? Or are they those machined rims with custom laced wires?

OK, thanks. Must've read too fast. Those wheels make the car I think.

Pat, if you are interested in how to make the wheels:

Making real wire wheels in all scales

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77554

Absolutely beautiful!

Odd that this iconic subject has never been kitted with the respect it deserves.

Peter, this is certainly not the only one. My personal list would be rather long (if someone would ever ask me). And my list of iconic subjects that have never been kitted at all would be even longer ...

I keep hoping that Airfix will do state of the art 1/24 Jaguar E Type and Aston Martin DB4/5 kits...

bestest,

M.

Matt, about 10 or 20 years ago Gunze Sangyo made a very nice E-Type OTS in two different versions:

• An expensive "High Tech" version with fantastic PE wire wheels and many annoying hard to finish pewter parts

• An inexpensive all-plastic version. If you can obtain it the latter one is the better choice provided that you replace the plastic wheels.

I will show a finished "High Tech" E-Type later on.

• An expensive "High Tech" version with fantastic PE wire wheels and many annoying hard to finish pewter parts

Looking forward to seeing it, Jurgen... I have one in the AIrfix "Hi-Tech" boxing in the stash. Actually it's not the the pewter parts that scare me so much -- it's the lengths of metal rod to be cut and made up into chassis components, the steel pins to be cut down and used who knows where, and the etched metal to be folded and origami'ed into interior structure!

bestest,

M.

Thanks for the further comments!

Looking forward to seeing it, Jurgen... I have one in the AIrfix "Hi-Tech" boxing in the stash. Actually it's not the the pewter parts that scare me so much -- it's the lengths of metal rod to be cut and made up into chassis components, the steel pins to be cut down and used who knows where, and the etched metal to be folded and origami'ed into interior structure!

bestest,

M.

Matt, since I know your modeling skills the steps you mentioned will certainly be no problem for you.

Laborious pewter parts for the drivetrain and the chassis make no sense to me but they are acceptable. IMO really annoying is the use of pewter also for the exterior chrome parts (f. e. bumpers, grille bar, door handles). It is extremely time-consuming giving them a smooth chrome-like appearance. Even worse, if you are unlucky (like me) your clear coat will not prevent these parts from darkening over the years. I removed these darkened parts luckily without damaging the model and replaced them by the chrome parts of a second all-plastic kit.

Therefore I would recommend either to replace these parts while building or to spray them with Alclad.

• 2 years later...