Model Cars Magazine Forum

make_magazine_dremel_2220_zps7509c19d.jp

With a combination of accessible features, smart packaging, and a $999 price point, it’s obvious that the Dremel 3D Idea Builder is a machine aimed squarely at the mass market.

The Idea Builder, announced today at MakerCon in New York City, is the first 3D printer to be released by a major tool manufacturer, and represents further maturation of at-home additive manufacturing. With initial sales being handled by traditional tool-sales outlets Home Depot, Amazon, and Canadian Tire, it promises to help expose 3D printing to a new range of users.

http://makezine.com/2014/09/17/dremel-3d-printer-idea-builder/

Extrusion-type, so it's probably not going to be good enough resolution for scale modelers' needs. But they'll get better and cheaper. I personally don't think we'll ever get a home office desktop machine good enough for 1/25th scale, but we'll see. I could be wrong.

Even so, we could conceivably benefit fairly soon by seeing some extremely accurate resin offerings of unusual subjects, made from high-res masters printed by commercial machines.

It's just a matter of guys learning the CAD tech, and generating the 3D computer models.

Just a reminder...the body of this model, in 1/24, was printed by Shapeways from a friend's digital files (that he created himself) a couple of years ago.

DSCN1327_zps82353dbe.jpg

While the Dremel unit may not have the resolution to print a detailed model that compares with styrene injection-molding quality, it STILL could save hours and hours and hours creating basic body shells and other parts that would be very difficult to scratch-build with any symmetry, using traditional methods. Then the basic parts could have detail added using well-known procedures.

The glass IS half-full, you know?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Yeah, we've been seeing the advancements of 3D printing used for resin masters in aircraft and armor circles for several years, just not that much yet in auto modeling. Fireball Modelworks is the only one I can think of. Imagine if Rep & Min Co or Modelhaus got on board with this stuff? We'd be in heaven.

My view is that we'll just have finely detailed stuff printed on commercial machines and then shipped to us, rather like how Shapeways does it now, it'll just get more and more commonplace (and cheaper). The work is in the 3D files, the printing is the (relatively) easy part.

Now those Silhouette cutters have me fascinated, I'd love to get one of those to cut styrene sheet. If I had the money today, I'd have one. Need to save some shekles. Christmas is coming up, in case anyone was wondering what I'd like... :)

silhouette.gif

Edited by Brett Barrow

Yeah, we've been seeing the advancements of 3D printing used for resin masters in aircraft and armor circles for several years, just not that much yet in auto modeling. Fireball Modelworks is the only one I can think of. Imagine if Rep & Min Co or Modelhaus got on board with this stuff? We'd be in heaven.

My view is that we'll just have finely detailed stuff printed on commercial machines and then shipped to us, rather like how Shapeways does it now, it'll just get more and more commonplace (and cheaper). The work is in the 3D files, the printing is the (relatively) easy part.

Now those Silhouette cutters have me fascinated, I'd love to get one of those to cut styrene sheet. If I had the money today, I'd have one. Need to save some shekles. Christmas is coming up, in case anyone was wondering what I'd like... :)

silhouette.gif

So want, a lot of the higher end resin dealers have 3d mastered wheels, im not "high end" but i used them myself in combination with traditional machining i can keep a consistent master and only have to change the inserts like the resin versions on the cutlass. i save a lot of time and money this way and keep the wheels affordable.

iYLhJ8m.jpg

WLCrSHf.jpg