Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone up for roast?

It's easy to convert Monogram's GSX Stage 1 kit into a regular GS. The first thing you need to know, is that Stage 1 refers to the engine and not the car. The model is a GSX with a Stage 1 455 motor. The Stage 1 motor was optional on all GS models, including the GSX. The GSX was essentially nothing more than a trim package for GS coupes. It included most of the available GS performance options, other than the Stage 1 motor. But as noted, that could be ordered with the GSX package. In 1970 you could get your GSX in only one of two colors. Saturn Yellow or Apollo White. (Gee I wonder what inspired those two names? Also, the 71 GSX could be had in more colors.) The GSX came with spoilers front and rear, a hood tach, and a blacked out hood and striping package. All of which was not available on the regular GS.

So to convert your Monogram GSX into a regular GS? First leave off both spoilers. Fill in the hole for the hood tach. Leave off the stripes. And paint the whole hood body colored. Also, leave the headlamp bezels chrome. They were only painted body color on the GSX. What to do about the Stage 1 if you don't want that? The Stage 1 and regular GS 455s look the same externally. I just leave off the Stage 1 decal on the air cleaner, and sand off the emblems on the front fenders. 1970 GS's without the Stage 1 motor, just say GS 455 on the front fender. Good luck you wish to change the Rallye clock in the instrument panel over to the regular factory tach. That maybe a little tough (but, I know modelers who can do it). On GSs other than the GSX, you had to pick one or the other. They both used the same hole in the dash.

I like the regular GSs better than the GSX. They were just as fast. But, were sleepers. Not blatantly advertising their performance potential like many other muscle cars. The Stage 1 motor put out 510 ft-pounds of torque, and a more than likely was underrated at 360 hp. They were known to surprise many of guys driving Hemis, Cobra Jets, and others. Rather than showing off with spoilers and stripes, which really don't do that much. With a Stage 1 Buick, you show off with your right foot.

That's it. I hope you guys found this helpful.

Scott

Here is a joke Buick guys like to tell. "Do you know how you get your Buick ready for racing? You turn the air conditioning off." That's one of reasons I love Buicks. Their engines put out lots of torque. In fact, find another muscle car from that time period that puts out 510 ft-pounds of torque that the Stage 1 does. There is none. Not even the legendary 426 Hemi. And torque is what gets the car off the line. Second, Buick did not use mechanical lifters to get there. So, you could still order such luxuries as air conditioning with your Stage 1 car. So, like it's joked. How do you get your Buick ready for racing?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=382&idcategory=0

http://buickgsca.com/

Be sure to pick up[ a Model Car Garage photo etch set. This will really make your GS build POP!!! There are not any scripts molded on the body to remove. There is a STAGE 1 emblem in the set. Also be certain to round off the front fenders for accuracy of your build. This same kit has been released with several box art photos but they never fix the front fenders.

Edited by Greg Wann

http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=382&idcategory=0

http://buickgsca.com/

Be sure to pick up[ a Model Car Garage photo etch set. This will really make your GS build POP!!! There are not any scripts molded on the body to remove. There is a STAGE 1 emblem in the set. Also be certain to round off the front fenders for accuracy of your build. This same kit has been released with several box art photos but they never fix the front fenders.

Thanks Greg. Yes those photo etch sets really does wonders for models.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47493&hl=%2Bbuick+%2Bgsx+%2Bflipnose

Here is a flipnose version I created in resin that John Teresi built. He is a very talented builder. Yes, those MCG PE parts are nice. they will allow you to paint the red in the GS 455 scripts. Finding out the silicone I had been using shrinks will put this entire project into a restart mode. I find it interesting that my posts in this build thread have been removed.

Edited by Greg Wann

Scott,

That assumes you believe the manufacturers ratings for power and torque. Notorious at that time for 'fibbing'-either to get customers, or fool insurance companies. Not saying the Buick didn't make the number, but others did too but rated a lower set of figures.

What was the bore and stroke of these '70's GS engines?

Bore and stroke, in inches, 4.31 x 3.90. And I'm not just quoting from Buick' own info. Go back and read magazine articles from the day. Or from recent years for that matter. Especially the 1970 Stage 1 cars were very fast. November 1969 Hot Rod magazine road test. Stock Stage 1 GS, two people on board. Standing-start quarter mile, 14.40 seconds, at 96 mph. 0-60, 6.4 seconds. Cars magazine, October of '70, '70 Stage 1 GSX. Standing quarter, 14.00 seconds at 103 mph. Road Test magazine, the month before. Standing quarter, "13.95 pure stock." (Their quote) At 100.50 mph. Motorcade magazine in April 1970's issue, again back to a "plain" Stage 1 GS, not a GSX, did the standing quarter in 13.6 seconds, at 103.92 mph. All four of the tests listed the cars as having a 3.64 Limited-slip differential. Only the Motorcade's car was a four-speed. The other three had three-speed Turbo Hydramatics. And in all articles I've seen, not just those four, the given figures for the Buick 455 Stage 1 are 360 hp at 4600 rpm. And 510 lb./ft. At 2800 rpm. That's a lot of grunt to get things moving.

By the way for comparison:

1967 426 Hemi is listed at 425 hp at 5000 rpm. And 490 lb./ft. at 4000 rpm.

1971 440 six-pack: 385 hp @ 4700 and 490 lb./ft. @ 3200.

1969 Mustang Boss 429: 375 hp @ 5200 and 410 lb./ft. @ 3400.

1969 Boss 302: 290 hp @ 5800 and 290 lb./ft. @ 4300.

1970 Chevelle SS LS6: 450 hp @ 5600 and 500 lb./ft. @ 3600.

1969 GTO Judge 400 Ram-Air: 370 hp @ 5500 and 445 lb./ft. @ 3390.

And last (but not least), 1970 Olds 4-4-2 W-30: 370 hp @ 5200 and 500 lb./ft. @ 3600.

The above is not put the other cars down, claiming that the Stage 1 Buick GS is a faster or better car. But it's a pretty good performance car, just as it sat on the showroom. People tend to over look the Buick GS because it's a Buick. And Buicks were (and are) grandpa's cars, right?

Now to show you what kind of performance guy I am. I'd rather own something like a Buick Riviera or Wildcat, rather than a mid-size GS. And Buick did offer Riviera GSs and Wildcat GSs certain years. And offered Stage 1 engines in the Riviera. 425 dual-four-barrel carb. Nailheads in both Rivieras and Wildcats in other years.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I was a member of the GS Club of America for a few years. They sent out periodical magazines. I'm pretty certain they had an article that said the Buick 455 block was the lightest in weight do to it's higher content of nickel in the metal of the BOP engines.. I do believe they had oil galley problems in the top end of the engine.

I'm sure there's a recipe for roast something in here... mandest.jpeg

Yup.....

Ingredients:

2 -3 lbs roast
to taste Good Seasons salad dressing mix or to taste mushroom soup, dry
salt & pepper

Directions:

Start with a 2- to 3-pound roast, the flatter the better.

Season with dry Good Seasons Salad Dressing mix or dry mushroom soup, salt and pepper or any way you season a roast before roasting.

Double or triple wrap in heavy-duty aluminum foil, crimping on sides so liquid will not leak when you turn the roast. Place on or against the flat part of exhaust manifold or against hot part of engine block.

Drive five to six hours.

Turn once halfway to destination.

You will arrive with a tender, juicy roast, ready to eat, and you will enjoy the smells of a home-cooked meal en route. Note: This will not work on all vehicles, only those with appropriate engine design.

I'm sure there's a recipe for roast something in here... mandest.jpeg

Yup.....

Ingredients:

2 -3 lbs roastto taste Good Seasons salad dressing mix or to taste mushroom soup, drysalt & pepper

Directions:

Start with a 2- to 3-pound roast, the flatter the better.Season with dry Good Seasons Salad Dressing mix or dry mushroom soup, salt and pepper or any way you season a roast before roasting.Double or triple wrap in heavy-duty aluminum foil, crimping on sides so liquid will not leak when you turn the roast. Place on or against the flat part of exhaust manifold or against hot part of engine block.Drive five to six hours.Turn once halfway to destination.You will arrive with a tender, juicy roast, ready to eat, and you will enjoy the smells of a home-cooked meal en route. Note: This will not work on all vehicles, only those with appropriate engine design.

I've got that book. It's a fun one.

Scott

Now this is just how it should be. Does not have to be black,but sure looks mean.

That is just plain wicked. I remember the Buick vs Hemi wars back in the 90's Muscle car review magizines. Richard Lassiter (sp?) owned the Stage 1 GS. I don't remember who owned the Hemi. It was alot of drama. One camp said they won while the other camp would say they won. In the end noone really won because the cars were far from stock and original. Being an Olds guy myself my preferance would be a 70 W-30 or W-31 first with a 1970 GS Stage-1, a close second.

Richard Lasseter is a big cheese in the GS club of America. They have a week long event in Bowling Green KY. VERY COOL event but I have never been able to attend. The event is October 15-18 2014 at the Beech Bend Raceway, Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Edited by Greg Wann