Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Mercury

StevenGuthmiller

Just finished up this morning. This started life as a "Junior Craftsman" 1959 Mercury Parklane convertible. Pretty much box stock again except for the modified '59 Impala top & a few small scratch built pieces. The colors are "Sagebrush Green" & "Tuxedo Black" with a black & medium green interior. Tires are the "Parts Pack" articles & the rear window was made from a piece of ziplock bag. As far as Mercurys go, this was probably one of my least favorite body styles, but no "Ford" collection would be complete without one. I think I'll stick on the '59 FoMoCo theme & do a 1959 Ford Galaxie Next. :)

Steve

2v23NawggxwUbWP.jpg2v23NawQLxwUbWP.jpg2v23NawwVxwUbWP.jpg2v23NacGvxwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

That rear window treatment is pure genius. Looks absolutely real. A beautiful model in every way, and a gorgeous color combo. Just spectacular. Replica stock doesn't get any better than this. B)

But I have to disagree with you on the photos. The ones in sunlight are far better and capture the colors more accurately. The ones shot in shade have a very strong blue cast to them.

Wow Steven..!! That really looks great. I love your rear window treatment on that convertible top... great idea to use a piece of a ziplock bag.

Thanks Richard! But I can't completely take credit for the rear window idea. I built a '61 Bonneville convertible a while back that I neglected to put a rear window in & someone on this forum called me on it & suggested the "plastic bag" idea. Being as most or all of these early annual convertible kits that came with an up top had no rear window glass, I thought it would be a good technique to at least try. Works great!! :) Just proves that you're never too old to learn a new trick or two. Steve

That rear window treatment is pure genius. Looks absolutely real. A beautiful model in every way, and a gorgeous color combo. Just spectacular. Replica stock doesn't get any better than this. B)

But I have to disagree with you on the photos. The ones in sunlight are far better and capture the colors more accurately. The ones shot in shade have a very strong blue cast to them.

First off Harry, the credit for the back light has to go to someone else. Can't quite remember where I heard it. You're right to an extent about the lighting. It does show the color more accurately. I just thought the "shaded" pictures "softened" everything a little plus showed the reflectivity of the paint a little more. The bright sun just seemed to make everything so "stark". Steve

Super nice Mercury, as always. It's so nice to see someone building these rarely seen subjects, especially when you do so clean work. The smooth paint job and immaculate BMF on this one make it look like a real deal. This really inspires me to get started with my AMT '59 Edsel Corsair....