Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar DC9964B Dumper

Thanks fellas. I was able to get some time in on the truck today. I hinged the hood using some brass tubing and small steel rod. I had a theory about doing this years ago but never tried it. Then I saw Sam use this technique on the doors of his Paystar. It was much easier than anticipated. 

First I put a slight bevel on all of the sections of the hood that the hinge would attach to. I shaded them here with a pencil so it can be seen. 

Here are the materials I used

Using my calipers, I made marks every .060 on the brass tube, then scored it by rolling an exacto knife across it. Then it was cut in three sections.

Then, holding the sections together with tape I did the same on the side panels. These hinges are inside the hood so I didn't score it as a piano hinge. It will just stay in three long sections.

Lookin good Terry, your hinges came out better than mine, i didnt think of beveling the edges, but theres always a next time. I also had a hard time scoring the brass, my knife kept wanting to wander. Also be carefull when you paint, i laid down several thin coats and still filled the grooves, keep up the good work

Terry,

You have just convinced me to try the hood hinge  when I rebuild two of my A-car dumps. That is if I have the right size brass tube and steel rod???

You are right this one is really starting to look like a dump truck i love it!

Be Well

Gator

Terry,

You have just convinced me to try the hood hinge  when I rebuild two of my A-car dumps. That is if I have the right size brass tube and steel rod???

You are right this one is really starting to look like a dump truck i love it!

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator. I definitely encourage you to do it. It was easy enough, and the added function of the hood compared to taping it from underneath(as the instructions say) is a big plus. I got the supplies off the rack at Hobb Lobb, so it should be easy enough to find. That is the smallest tube I've found to date. I had tried this with some alum tube years ago, but it was a little too big. I'm just glad I found away to do this! Now I will be using it on doors as we'll.

Terry - those hinges are fantastic.  Having the hood hinged like that will make this truck stand out from the crowd even more !

If I may add a suggestion perhaps some clear acetate or similar material would make a better windshield.  I wish I had done so on my Reo , as the AMT glass is so thick. 

Terry - those hinges are fantastic.  Having the hood hinged like that will make this truck stand out from the crowd even more !

If I may add a suggestion perhaps some clear acetate or similar material would make a better windshield.  I wish I had done so on my Reo , as the AMT glass is so thick. 

Thanks Sean. Now I have to go back and hinge my other Autocars. I agree on the glass. Its thicker on these kits with the Autocar driver cab, than any other kit. Im not sure if Ill change it out at this point. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks fellas. I was able to get some time in on the truck today. I hinged the hood using some brass tubing and small steel rod. I had a theory about doing this years ago but never tried it. Then I saw Sam use this technique on the doors of his Paystar. It was much easier than anticipated. 

First I put a slight bevel on all of the sections of the hood that the hinge would attach to. I shaded them here with a pencil so it can be seen. 

Terry, are those bevels flat or coved? And what did you use to "glue" the hinges,CA?

Terry, are those bevels flat or coved? And what did you use to "glue" the hinges,CA?

The bevels are flat yes, and I used CA glue. Be very careful to only use the smallest drop of the glue in just a few spots until it sets, then take the hinge apart, then you can add a little more glue. I laid the three sections of the hinge in the beveled cradle, put a tiny drop on each section(three drops, three sections), then let it set, then slid out the center rod and had two parts of the hinge on one side, and the middle part of the hinge on the other side. Then I ran some heavier beads of glue. I hope this helps. 

Terry , I really like this build. I love the huge rugged looking tiers and the heavy duty dump body. Awesome build thus far. Be Well Gator

Thanks Gator. This is the first Autocar that Ive built that I got the stance right. Daves tires really give it that authentic look. Im happy with it, tgat why Im going slooooow. I want this to be my new favorite. 

Wow....

I'm beginning to think I should just have you build my Autocar dumper for me. :lol:

I love how you did the butterfly hinge- I had an idea of trying something similar to hinge the doors on the "Big 4" cabs. Good to see the idea is workable. The thought of using a photoetched piano hinge makes my head throb. Your solution not only looks like it's easier to deal with, but looks quite a bit more realistic on the model as well.

For anyone wanting to try hinges like Terry made I have a suggestion.  Not far from here there is a supplier of all kinds of scratch building materials including very small brass tubing and stainless steel wire that make great hinges.  The Tubing is 0.018" diameter and the stainless fits very nicely inside.  If you clean up the brass with some steel wool and lay it on a flat surface just run some CA on the edge of the hood piece and move it against the tubing.  When the CA sets fill in around it with more CA and sand the joint smooth.  I used it on the 1929 Coleman.

The supplier of the tubing and stainless is Precision Scale Model Engineering. 

psme@psmescale.com is Larry Milo's e-mail address.  He also has a web site www.psmescale.com