Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autocar DC9964B Dumper

Heres one of my new projects. The plan is to keep it box stock with some better detail. Ive built a bunch of modified Autocars, and resin Autocars, so I wanted to build one off the box. For starters, I modified a grill to a shutter style and moulded and resin cast it.Next, I started on the rear suspension. I extended the leafs, remade some of the mounts, and added blocks and U bolts.

0F34C74C-91F6-407B-9E7F-B48EFEA5DD8D_zps

8AA94DEE-AE09-4F5E-9C57-020E40FED7B0_zps

44460F90-81AB-40C3-8A4C-29D21472C32F_zps

C96D0394-C6C3-462C-B786-CACE87A42875_zps

FF3832A2-E99E-4641-84BA-07139DD11A5A_zps

Next, I added two more leafs to the bottom of the front springs. I want the truck to sit level. Ive never liked the stance of the kit. Blocks were also added to the front axle to help level it out. The front axle was drilled, and U bolts added.

F3F83120-3C21-4C31-AABC-5852C0270343_zps

75BFF105-E4A7-4E0B-A64A-37DF84A53E86_zps

F3085748-C30A-4298-A60D-6236C04BB40B_zps

5FF1CDEC-7B81-4F4E-9A20-C949F2A70AAC_zps

I knotched out the rear cab mount to add a support for the rear of the interior tub. This helps with cab alignment.

E6AEDC5C-734F-4AC5-99C4-E50CA9E7FBAD_zps

A533249A-0868-4C23-979D-5CE368D6DAD5_zps

The grill that I built is a little narrower at the base than the kit. The kit grill is tapered down, mine is straight. This brings the fenders in a little, which affects the bumper. I removed 1/8" from the center of the bumper and mocked it all up. Its coming together great so far. The only other mods will be a set of my resin tires on the kit spokes, move the rear axles back slightley, and raise up the cab guard on the body.

D9CE25AF-8C0E-46A1-9049-A02AEA0863EB_zps

FFB46DB5-0994-4D29-A16C-62931F695958_zps

32CCCDC2-2D2B-4A70-B2E5-4EBED235DA9D_zps

C1C0C878-A7B4-4CE7-8FC1-C33875FABA68_zps

Thanks guys. After that Brockway, I need to build something straight from the box.

Wow, another great project to follow and learn from. I can never get tired of seeing these older trucks !

Thanks Sean. Old trucks are all I build. The newest thing you will ever see from me will be a Pete 379. The old trucks are a throw back to a better time in a America. When things were over built out of heavy iron and steel, not fiberglass and plastic. Nothing represents that better than an Autocar.

I am really thinkin of trying to get an autocar. Guess theres gotta be something with them why a lot of people like em. Theres only 1 way to find out

The thing about Autocar is that is was a specialty truck company. There wasnt a lot full of trucks to choose from. The truck was built to the owners specs, and there was a metal plate in the door that had the owners name with the build date etc. In one of my books it says the only two Autocars that were alike were two owned by the same guy. This is why there are a ton of model numbers and a ton of factory photos. Every truck was different.Osh Kosh was a similar company.

Edited by Superpeterbilt

That is such a well detailed suspension. Is it going to be Ace Red ?

Good call on the positioning !

Sean, this is the truck that inspired me to do a box stock build. Im leaning towards this paint scheme(with Ace red).

88D54639-0B81-486D-968A-E8EAB729A421_zps

Im also thinking about doing it in the Cali Hauler box art. Red with white arrows, white roof, white dump box, everything else red with the GS Carter door decals. Now that Im saying this, more than likely this will be the one I go with.

I agree,great start to the A-Car,i only build "real" looking older trucks,better time in my life as well,plus,I started driving some of the 1:1 model subjects when I was a young man! Autocars were extremely popular out here on the east coast,good many of them still running/working in Jersey!...............................................Mark

Its kind of amazing the difference between east coast work trucks and west coast work trucks. Auto cars werent out hardly at all. In fact for the longest time i thought the only a-car out here was in Over the Top. I build the trucks i see everyday working out here or what could be, or id like d to be driving.

There were plenty of west coast Autocars, at least in the 50's,60's,& 70's. They would have been configured the same as the over the top truck. Axle forward, long frame with 5 hole Alcoas instead of spokes. They also introduced the lightweight models with aluminum frame rails. They were a big competitor with Peterbilt and Kenworth on the west coast.I have a huge collection of Autocar factory photos, inluding a bunch of the west coast configurations.

That was a little before my time. The 1st a-car i ever saw was Hawks Hauling. But thats cool they were big, guess they didnt quite have the cool factor or something that translate from the hot rod world like pete and Kw did. If i could find an W-car for a decent i would build 1, but they are definitely bringing collector prices.