Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Rig Score

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Well, I had hoped that I would have been back to this thread a whole lot sooner but hey, better late than never. I actually started building early this year out of this collection, and now I have it moved into the new hobby room. Everything you see on the large shelving system is nothing but big rig (except the clearly marked 1/8 on top) Bottom shelf is mainly unbuilt, second shelf is partial built, and all the cardboard boxes are parts, parts, and more parts. 

Here is my dilemma...still, I  need some help identifying a lot of the small parts and making sure my partial kits are complete, and that I have things lined out for future projects.

So here is my proposition...

Anyone who is well acquainted with all the big rig stuff, (mine is mainly AMT/ERTL).....that wants to spend a day with me going through this pile of stuff, I will make sure that some of it goes home with you. If you want to bring your better half and make a weekend of it, I will point you towards inexpensive lodging and make sure you get two tickets to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. 

20191120_163858.jpg

On 11/20/2019 at 8:48 PM, Sam I Am said:

Anyone who is well acquainted with all the big rig stuff, (mine is mainly AMT/ERTL).....that wants to spend a day with me going through this pile of stuff, I will make sure that some of it goes home with you. 

Too bad that letter behind the O is an R and not an H Sam, because I'd be more than willing to make the probably 3 hour drive to Toledo, OH to help you sort through parts, but OR is a little farther drive. ☹️

On 11/20/2019 at 5:48 PM, Sam I Am said:

Well, I had hoped that I would have been back to this thread a whole lot sooner but hey, better late than never. I actually started building early this year out of this collection, and now I have it moved into the new hobby room. Everything you see on the large shelving system is nothing but big rig (except the clearly marked 1/8 on top) Bottom shelf is mainly unbuilt, second shelf is partial built, and all the cardboard boxes are parts, parts, and more parts. 

Here is my dilemma...still, I  need some help identifying a lot of the small parts and making sure my partial kits are complete, and that I have things lined out for future projects.

Anyone who is well acquainted with all the big rig stuff, (mine is mainly AMT/ERTL).....that wants to spend a day with me going through this pile of stuff, I will make sure that some of it goes home with you. If you want to bring your better half and make a weekend of it, I will point you towards inexpensive lodging and make sure you get two tickets to the Oregon Coast Aquarium. 

Sam, I just started back into building semis this Summer. I am in the process of building two modified Freightliner COEs. I do not think would be much help identifying little parts but you are not that far from me. I live in Salem, OR. Sometimes it is helpful to have two heads instead of one.

55 minutes ago, highway said:

Too bad that letter behind the O is an R and not an H Sam, because I'd be more than willing to make the probably 3 hour drive to Toledo, OH to help you sort through parts, but OR is a little farther drive. ☹️

Yea, I knew that distance would hinder some who would want to help. I am glad though that it is an R behind the O, we have the ocean. ?

26 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

Sam, I just started back into building semis this Summer. I am in the process of building two modified Freightliner COEs. I do not think would be much help identifying little parts but you are not that far from me. I live in Salem, OR. Sometimes it is helpful to have two heads instead of one.

Bill, I grew up in Salem. I would also appreciate your help, if you can spare a day PM me.

18 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Yea, I knew that distance would hinder some who would want to help. I am glad though that it is an R behind the O, we have the ocean. ?

Yeah, but there is a lake off of Toledo, OH Sam. That is just a little ocean! ?

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up sorting out 13 rebuildable projects, not counting a couple Bill took home with him. I was also able to put together a complete Movin On kit (minus decals) after he left. Going to start on the Macks next and see if I can get a couple sorted out.

Thanks again Bill !

20191214_224938.jpg

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

We ended up sorting out 13 rebuildable projects, not counting a couple Bill took home with him. I was also able to put together a complete Movin On kit (minus decals) after he left. Going to start on the Macks next and see if I can get a couple sorted out.

Thanks again Bill !

20191214_224938.jpg

Thanks Sam, Though I just discovered the rebuildable Pete 352 I went home with does not have any instructions. If you have an extra set and/or scans that would be great.

11 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Thanks Sam, Though I just discovered the rebuildable Pete 352 I went home with does not have any instructions. If you have an extra set and/or scans that would be great.

No problem Bill, I have five...make that seven.

Edited by Sam I Am

Funny this post popped cause just yesterday I was looking thru stash trying to find an engine, and the KW oil field truck was sitting there. I picked up a suitable rear suspension for it at last model show from plaskit...I've gotta get that one back on the bench

Cool how things like this revive a build 

4 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Funny this post popped cause just yesterday I was looking thru stash trying to find an engine, and the KW oil field truck was sitting there. I picked up a suitable rear suspension for it at last model show from plaskit...I've gotta get that one back on the bench

Cool how things like this revive a build 

I was wondering when you would be getting back to it. I figured maybe too many Osh Kosh squirrels. ?

2 hours ago, DrKerry said:

I'm whimpering like a lost puppy right now!!!!! Nice score!!!

Hey, you have the green KW fire engine from it. lol

Sam - those squirrels definitely have a way of distracting me  !!!  Now I've learned how to make heavy duty springs, another set will find it's way under the kw ...after the plow wife kinda suggests I finish one before starting another. I dont see the fun in that though

1 hour ago, gotnitro? said:

wife kinda suggests I finish one before starting another. I dont see the fun in that though

Yea, I think I have about 50 started projects....not counting all the ones just bagged. Many of those I hope will go on the block soon.