Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell snap Peterbilt

After a void from the bench which consisted of a move this Summer, I needed something I could work on with the resources I have on hand.

This looked like a easy simple project... I have never been one to just build out of the box. Here is my progress so far.

P9233624.jpg

Shortened the frame down for a single drive

Cut the sleeper and used the back half of another sleeper to make the cab back.

P9253626.jpg

Removed one exhaust mount and the sleeper mounts.

P9253625.jpg

Backdated the headlights from rectangle to concave

Also little stuff that will never be seen like styrene sheet on the engine hollow areas..

Pretty simple so far :D I need more of these kits..

Thanks for looking in :)

Looking good Sean. I'm with you, after the first one, I have not been able to do a box-stock of this kit as well. I find the level of detail (especially for a snap) and the price to be an excellent combo for folks that want to experiment with conversions.

Looking forward to seeing this little guy evolve.

Looking good. I too can't build this kit box-stock and love cutting it up to make something different every time. My only complaint about this kit is the way they molded in the fifth wheel, it makes shortening up the chassis a lot more difficult, but your handy work makes that conversion look flawless.

Thanks Mike - I mainly got this kit as I wanted a Cat engine .

Clayton I really liked how yours turned out.

Brandon - I sawed that plate right off so I could reposition it. It is real easy if you have a good saw. Look at the first pic and you can see the molded in angle bracket that is only half now. The plate has been moved back about an inch, it is just sitting there to cover the void.

:)

• 3 months later...

While working on a few other truck projects this one has made an appearance again. The rattle can Silver and Orange paint never pleased me. Now that I got my booth plumbed in I painted it different.

I present to you one of the Ugliest Peterbilts ever. But it grows on you (least it did to me) and looks just right for a work truck.

P1073753.jpg

I was going to repaint the frame semi gloss black , the orange does not look half bad.

Any suggestions on what color I should paint the wheels ?

Really sharp looking! I too like the "new" color scheme. It fits the truck. Ditto the comments about painting the wheels the frame color with silver trim rings. A painted "half bumper" and minimal chrome would fit it well. Just begs to have the AMT "doubles" behind it Just an opinion though and we all know what that is worth..

Again, really nice job!

Glad to see you guys approve of the "New colors" :)

Great start n this. Any idea how this kit stacks up against the ancient AMT kit?

Basically like comparing apples to oranges. Both will build up nice , they both are affordable if you shop around. I feel less guilty cutting up the Revell kit to experiment with then the AMT.

Got a chance to get back to this one today, I am not impressed with the super shiny fuel tanks and battery boxes. I might give them a shot of dull coat to tone them down some.

P1133768.jpg

What do you guys suggest for the tanks and bat boxes ?

ONLY since you asked.........

Paint the tanks the frame color with black straps. Paint the Luberfiner black. Dull silver single exhaust, black mirrors, single horn, white steering wheel, lowback seats, painted front bumper with a big single elongated diamond or similar painted in the colors of the cab/hood. Those wheels and colors just really make this thing scream "early 70's no frills fleet rig".

BTW - not nitpcking as I am the last one qualified to do - check your Luberfiner closely. It looks like it might be on upside down..

But it is yours...Heck, if you want to put Hello Kitty mudflaps I am good with that too! :D

I really like this little thing.