Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Merc (Revell)

Sixgunner68

I finished this one recently. I tried some stuff on this one for the first time - first two-tone interior, first time wiring an engine, and first time using BMF. It came ok I guess...I used Krylon Satin Finish in Ivory and Pistachio. Sorry for the cellphone pics, I misplaced the tripod for my camera.

IMG_20140919_191251914.jpg

IMG_20140919_191508333_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140919_191620525.jpg

IMG_20140905_221751685_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140830_185210183.jpg

IMG_20140823_145534434.jpg

IMG_20140823_141339387_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140906_180657377_HDR.jpg

(Still need to fix the windshield)

Thanks for looking!

That looks good Everett. I've never seen a car with green "whitewalls" though. What made you do that?

I tried it with the whitewalls, but it looked to stark white against the Ivory, so I thought I would try it with the green (It's not quite as dark as it looks in the picture). They're not on there permanently though, just case I find some better wheels some day (the ones in the pictures are the kit wheels). This is only the 4th car I've built, so my parts box is a little shallow (along with my model budget!) I built it more to try the two-tone & the BMF.

Nice job. But, through the photos I would never guessed it was painted Ivory. The color in the photos does not appeal to me. Especially with the green. It would be interesting to see this kit photographed under lights that would bring out the true color. Other than the photographed color, I like the model. Very nice.

Scott

As for the green-walls, my first thought was, " Oh new tires before they are washed". Although that would usually be a blue coating. Thought maybe the lighting? If you are just after a slight old tire look or discolored, sometimes I mix a drop of yellow in the white before applying it to the tires. I forgot to mention the fine job on your foiling in my first post. I like the overall look of the satin white. Green-walls, why not? It's getting plenty of attention. :)

Pretty cool Everett! I have a '41 Ford coupe with the same Pistachio color on the interior. Maybe try painting the green walls flat black and see if you like it? Someday, I need to build one these kits!

I know that you didn't intend for it to look like it, but that color under the lighting you used actually appears to be the same as K-2 urethane primer. Gives the "almost finished, but under construction" look to it, and then I like it, but I think I would have gone with a blackwall tire before the green. B

But overall a clean well done model.