Model Cars Magazine Forum

NO LIE! Apparently, there was a set-back front axle version of the GMC General made, but it came late in production and it's said that only 20 or so were made. And I thought that GM never made any SBFA trucks! It would be an interesting project to try out.

http://gmtblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/rare-1...back-front.html

P.S., Don't kill yourself trying to find an SBFA Chevy Bison. That was never made.

• 1 month later...
NO LIE! Apparently, there was a set-back front axle version of the GMC General made, but it came late in production and it's said that only 20 or so were made. And I thought that GM never made any SBFA trucks! It would be an interesting project to try out.

http://gmtblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/rare-1...back-front.html

P.S., Don't kill yourself trying to find an SBFA Chevy Bison. That was never made.

Cool! Someone found my site! B)

The 20 figure is an estimate; I'm working a few sources at GM to nail that down to a firm number. My guess is it had to be just as scarce as the Aero Astro was.

And you're right - as Chevy exited the HD business in 1980 and the SBFA N-series came in '87, a Bison SBFA didn't happen - although with a swap of badges and grille inserts, it could be...

• 1 year later...

I learned a few things reading this post. I didn't know this truck was that rare, but then again, I've only seen it in the Truck Paper for sale(many years ago), or in online pix, usually brochures. Never in person. Same with the Aero Astro. I never saw one of those in person either. It is an interesting looking truck.

I also didn't know Chevy got out of the HD market so soon. I know they made a Titan with the big grille of the '80s, I just didn't know they quit making the big iron that soon.

• 1 month later...

I remember seeing one at the International Trucking Show at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco. I believe that was 1986. GMC also had an Astro there with various doo dads to make it look more modern for the time.

• 1 month later...

You guys would know the answer to this one probably. I thought of this thread when I remembered a project idea I wanted to tackle. Ok, here goes. I know the GMC General had a flattop sleeper that was around 60". It looks like the AMT kit sleeper stretched. I saw some mid-80s generals in the Truck paper for sale years ago that had one. Anyone know what year this was introduced? I was wondering if any Bisons would have had one, or if the Bison was gone by then? I've been looking, but am not having much luck. Last pix I saw of a General equipped with this sleeper was like 15 yrs ago. It's not the standup like the Smoky and the Bandit 2 truck, just the regular flattop.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...