Model Cars Magazine Forum

Truck Kits You've Scored Recently

Nice finds Terry....love the old box art on the IMC Dodge...I still remember the instruction sheet from my childhood days.

I was very surprised that I got it, and for a reasonable price. I remember hunting these things before they were re-issued and I could never get it. Ive got several of the repops, but Im a sucker for old boxes.

Sam, they are off ebay but they are old RNK wheels. Thats who Dave took the wheels it over from. They were a good bit cheaper than Dave thats the only reason I grabbed em. Do you know the name of the copycat? I cant say Ive seen any copies of Daves stuff.

if I'm not mistaken it's sassysudsy, and the same person goes by another name but I can't remember it. But maybe they were copies of another caster, just some of they're stuff looked like Daves only way sloppier.

I was very surprised that I got it, and for a reasonable price. I remember hunting these things before they were re-issued and I could never get it. Ive got several of the repops, but Im a sucker for old boxes.

Me too Terry...I guess its a nostalgia thing maybe...reminds us of the good old days and our childhood.

So since money got super tight(lost about a thousand a month or more), I started digging out from the stash. One of those was my Pete 377, which I decided to stretch, andI wanted another bigrig.

So right before Christmas we got our gift cards and I grabbed this.

20141227_113834_zpsq4injrtg.jpg

So some of that money has come back at least temporarily thankfully, and back on the feet. I got these two buggers for Christmas from my wife.

20141227_113802_zpsc3fupvqj.jpg

The Moebius 53 footer was to go with either the Pete(which is the wrong scale unfortunately), or the KW(which is the right scale but older than I wanted for that trailer but I'm building it as a custom).

The AMT Trailer however, she got me to go with this COE Pete, I picked up as my own Christmas present(the day after Christmas the exact same time she got that trailer for me)

20141227_113820_zpsj8sk2w9u.jpg Of course she said we were going to go to the shop to get a truck and trailer one for her to get for me and one for me to get for myself so I guess it was all Christmas presents from her. Dang I love my wife.

Of course as an Early Christmas preset from a friend, while not model related specifically............... He made me this getup.

20141214_085516-1_zpse432wiet.jpg

The idea of it is, I pull the Muzzle Brake off my AR-15, flip over that metal part there, screw it on, pop in the blank in the photo, drop the Flog Ball in the tube and FHWUMP, that ball will go for far more than a mile or two.

They actually work and it's hilarious.

Of course I was working on the Christmas Tree farm this year and my youngest just HAD to get a photo with dad on the little Tractor.

20141213_150916_zpsfbpyybib.jpg

How he did it when it was like 32 degrees out I don't know but hey. That's my Fugly Mug there.

Not big on the looks of the lonestar, but I hear it's a spectacular kit. The trains, while I haven't built that one, I have built one of the Revell loco's they are pretty nice, though I wouldn't follow their painting instructions. They will sit right down on a section of HO scale track, which means you can handlay a section if you want the ultimate in realism. Or use a section of I think Code 83, for low profile and make it look good as well. Good haul/

I got that Big Boy Locomotive some years back and it's a cool kit, it's 1:87 scale so it will fit a H0 train set as Michael said...but it comes with enough tracks to fit the locomotive and tender.

The Big Boy is one of the largest steam locomotives made and I saw the 4014 at Pomona Fairgrounds CA some years ago while it was still there, but it's now moved out of there for restoration....good and sad at the same time, good because it will be restored to running order, sad because we can't go there and see it anymore.

My Grandmothers husband is a HUGE railfan. We also have a couple of rail museums out here(one of which he didn't know about), we're going to have to go check out. I built him for Christmas a few years ago one of the Revell loco's. I can't find that specific kit anymore, but I believe it was a 4-6-4. I bought a strip of molding, and used actual low profile HO track for better realism. Of course since I was working on a layout at the time, I had some extra stuff I could use, l ike Ballast and whatnot.

It'll be interesting to see what that lonestar will look like with those modifications. I'm just not a fan of the grill area on them.

That KW, I have a 2.5 inch stretch going on it right now, with smoothy deck plate. It's going to go under the front end of the 53 Foot trailer. Figure set it up like it's an older Rig someone has doumped a bunch of money into. Can't figure on if I want to lower it or not though.

I'd love to use my6 Italeri Pete 377 under that trailer but I think it'd look funny being a different scale. Will have to find a 24th scale Reefer somewhere I can afford.

Edited by fantacmet

I nabbed a Illini Sterling SBFA resin cab a few weeks ago. Ill probably use the Autocar Dumper as the donor kit

1B708AC7-EDDD-495B-9EBD-9BC1BF685F42_zps

I also got my hands on a model car mag from 1969 with an article on the California Hauler.

220F4856-A2CC-4BDA-8895-0823DC1A9762_zps

3D29CE8A-6450-44FD-BDF5-0018FF1F721C_zps

94202AA8-047C-4711-B328-CF453019BD84_zps

5A394978-C262-4C96-AEB3-D391D22555F0_zps

64DE698C-8F0D-4FD0-A8B2-029F4DCC0F39_zps

Heres an ad advertizing the Calfornia Hauler, but the pic is of a 351, not a 359.

BEC1E28C-3267-4D01-8C91-7FCE04BE96E3_zps

Can you scan them and post them somewhere if they are not posted somewhere already please?

Did get a WILL DO wrecker kit that I plan on converting to a dump truck and taking the body and putting it on a 378 chassis...