Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bits 'N' Pieces" AMT Dune Buggy--Finished!

Snake45

Ever toil away at a model for days or weeks or even months, and then one day, without really planning to, you glue on one last part or do one last little bit of paint touchup or something and then realize, “That's it. It's finished!”

Yeah. It's like that.

Wrapped this little pig up yesterday, finally. For those who came in late, here's what I started with, a sandwich baggie full of random parts from an AMT dune buggy I started and never finished maybe 45 years ago.

AMTManx101.jpg

Full “workbench” in-progress build story is here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=93374

My self-imposed “rules” for this project were as follows:

1. Git Er Done.

2. Use all original kit parts that could be found.

3. If original parts couldn't be found, pirate parts from a reissued Manx kit, as long as it could be done without compromising buildability of the Manx.

4. If #2 and #3 not applicable, scratchbuild, or seek parts from parts box or other kits.

I ended up with the following:

*Original 1969 AMT kit: Chassis pan and “spine,” basic front suspension and brakes, rear suspension and shocks, engine (except intakes and carbs) and exhaust, rear roll bar and braces, front roll bar, seats, shifter, steering wheel, all four wheels and tires.

*Reissued Manx: Steering box, steering tie rod, long steering column, gas tank.

*Revell '29 Model A Truck: Carburetors and air cleaners.

*Scratchbuilt: Front shocks (aluminum tubing), pedals (styrene rod and sheet), hand brake (styrene rod and sheet), front roll bar brace (styrene rod), intake manifolds (styrene rod), seat belts (black vinyl tape.)

I don't like the seating arrangement, but it was dictated by the final position of the kit steering wheel. Looks like the shifter is too far forward, and you'd need long legs to reach those pedals. At some point in the future, I might be struck by a fit of industry and shorten that steering column about four scale inches, and then move the seats up to match, which would proportion things much better. But at this point I just wanted to “Get Er Done” and didn't want to risk damaging anything by trying to “fix” that right now. If I'd broken anything loose at this point, the whole model would have ended up flying against the wall, I just knowit (to quote Rick Springfield). Truth to tell, if not for Rule #2, I wouldn't have used either the kit's seats or the small steering wheel on this, I'd have found something more appropriate.

I didn't count but I think I spent somewhere between 30 and 40 hours altogether on this restoration/rebuild, including searching for and cleaning original parts (such as the wheels and tires). I honestly believe that if I had built this all from a new kit, I could have done it in half to one third the time.

As alwasys, thanks for looking.

AMTDuneBuggy42_zps3cc42707.jpg

AMTDuneBuggy44_zps35bb00e5.jpg

AMTDuneBuggy45_zps3760b162.jpg

AMTDuneBuggy46_zpsc4cb081d.jpg

AMTDuneBuggy47_zps396dd22b.jpg

AMTDuneBuggy48_zps5ab9b47b.jpg