Model Cars Magazine Forum

1980 Ford F-250

Hallo all

Some of you perhaps know me from the truck pages of this forum. Cars and pick up were the first model kits I started to build during the 90es. Most of my old kits I still have in my lower basement. They were just built out of the box with a bit of paint. This is relaxation and fun project. The idea behind it is an old truck still being used in Alaska or in Canada as a service pick up for logging trucks. It is old, rusty, tired and built up or better said rebuild from many different junk trucks. Some facts: 1980 Ford F-250, pick up, long bed, 4x2, 5.0 liter (302cuinc.) V-8 gasoline engine, 4speed manual transmission with over drive.

The model: it is based on the AMT Ford F-150 pick up and the Monogram Ford Bronco. The frame, axels fuel tanks and the bed are from AMT. The cab is from Monogram and I had to change it to fit to the rest of the truck parts which are 1:25. The back part of the cab is from AMT. Cut in to pieces to fit to the rest of the cab. The holes filled up with plastic and then everything sanded as long as necessary to fit each other. There is still a lot of work but the shape is already here.

SAM_3510.JPG

SAM_3511.JPG

SAM_3512.JPG

SAM_3513.JPG

SAM_3514.JPG

The rear fenders have the shape of the newer model they are round. I am not sure if I should change them or leave them like this, being an old truck it is possible that the bed was changed with another one.

SAM_3515.JPG

Just some pics today. I hope to work a bit more during the week on this little thing.

So long

Arnd

I'll be watching this! :D

The rear fenders have the shape of the newer model they are round. I am not sure if I should change them or leave them like this, being an old truck it is possible that the bed was changed with another one.

That did happen in real life. In high school I had a friend with an '86- before he got it repainted, he replaced the original bed (which was rusted and dented pretty badly) with an '87-'97 style bed. It didn't quite match the cab, but looked a lot better than the one he had.

Too bad you didn't have an AMT/MPC '80s Bronco to get your cab with. It's 1/25 scale and would have matched up easier for you. I have a few of the Monogram F-150 flaresides in the stash. Someday, I plan on bashing one of my '81 cabs with the '91 F-250 and build a long bed regular cab with the correct fenderwells,top bed corners, tail gate and tail lights.

Hallo all

Not a lot of work done this week just some sanding and filling the gaps and lines between the two cab parts. Still have to work out the gap between the doors and the cab. The part in front of the windshield and the grill have to be reworked and then the cab is nearly done. I sanded all the lines on the cab and the bed away. Like this it has a more old and simple style.

SAM_1517.JPG

SAM_1518.JPG

Hey Chuck that with your friend is a grate information, I will let the bed like it is, grate used look.

Still a lot of work to be done but it is a lot of fun to see how this thing gets more and more a new face.

So long

Arnd

Edited by Arnd

Hey guys

I need a techniquel Information I tried to find something in the Internet but it was not a big help. Can one of you tell me which is the normal Standard fuel tank for this pick ups? The one after the rear axel or the one in front of it?

Thanks for your efforts.

so long

Arnd

Arnd,

In a single gas tank application, the truck will only have the rear tank. But, it's more common to have a single tank when the truck is a short bed, especially if it's 4x4. Yours being a 4x2, a long bed and an F-250, I'd advise leaving the dual tanks. Especially it being a beaten down work truck, one tank has probably rusted out so the other keeps the ol' girl going.

• 4 weeks later...

I never really noticed how common having the rear tank behind the axle was until I owned a 96 built that way. Then I noticed them all over town! But, I chalk that up to being in a snowy clime and the dealers that ordered the trucks figured having the extra weight behind the axle would help with traction.

• 3 weeks later...