Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there an 'Ollie's' near by

Went to my Ollie's today. They ha a ton of stuff. I got.....

RM Midget racer

RM Superbird

R2 61 Ford slot car

R2 71 Dodge Charger slot car

R2 Star Trek Klingon tin box

They had a bunch of other RM, R2, Lindberg and Minicraft kits.

1/16 Morgam and MGTC were cool...but didn't get them.

Had almost ever R2 slot car kit made.

LOTS of 1/144 scale plane kits.

Worth the trip for me.

PS....Ad said they had Lionel trains too....mine had none....please let me know if any one else got Lionel trains in their stores...

Edited by Dave Van

Went to my Ollie's today. They ha a ton of stuff. I got.....

RM Midget racer

RM Superbird

R2 61 Ford slot car

R2 71 Dodge Charger slot car

R2 Star Trek Klingon tin box

They had a bunch of other RM, R2, Lindberg and Minicraft kits.

1/16 Morgam and MGTC were cool...but didn't get them.

Had almost ever R2 slot car kit made.

LOTS of 1/144 scale plane kits.

Worth the trip for me.

PS....Ad said they had Lionel trains too....mine had none....please let me know if any one else got Lionel trains in their stores...

I appreciate the report. Would like to hear other reports of what's available, too. I've bought a few models at Ollie's but usually it's a big pile of Nothing I'm Interested In. Thanks! B)

There was a mile long thread about this on Facebook. Guys there kept asking the same questions over and over... like nobody could read back a few posts. Anyway... Ollies is a close out store. Mostly junk and obsolete stuff. For instance I tried to find a cell phone cover for my Iphone 5C.. best they had were $3 covers for Iphone 4s.

Guys on the Facebook thread kept asking questions like the had a hobby department and would regularly get fresh new kits like a Hobby Lobby. Not the case, it's a closeout store and they get what they buy from entities dumping the stuff. A few years ago when Lindberg emptied a warehouse, they had those kits. And not the really good ones.. think the old Pyro stuff.

You can find interesting stuff there. About 3 years ago they had a close out on Duplicolor Truck colors in the big cans. I bought all they had at a dollar a can. Otherwise, I wouldn't drive far to find an Ollies, but I stop in the one in Pottstown, PA if I'm passing it.

There was a mile long thread about this on Facebook. Guys there kept asking the same questions over and over... like nobody could read back a few posts. Anyway... Ollies is a close out store. Mostly junk and obsolete stuff. For instance I tried to find a cell phone cover for my Iphone 5C.. best they had were $3 covers for Iphone 4s.

Guys on the Facebook thread kept asking questions like the had a hobby department and would regularly get fresh new kits like a Hobby Lobby. Not the case, it's a closeout store and they get what they buy from entities dumping the stuff. A few years ago when Lindberg emptied a warehouse, they had those kits. And not the really good ones.. think the old Pyro stuff.

You can find interesting stuff there. About 3 years ago they had a close out on Duplicolor Truck colors in the big cans. I bought all they had at a dollar a can. Otherwise, I wouldn't drive far to find an Ollies, but I stop in the one in Pottstown, PA if I'm passing it.

Just another "Big Lots/Odd Lots" kind of store, dealing in "distressed merchandise".

Art

Just another "Big Lots/Odd Lots" kind of store, dealing in "distressed merchandise".

Art

Big Lots went upmarket several years ago. You can buy furniture and beds and stuff from them, we got our sectional sofa and matching recliner there about 5 years ago, all LazyBoy stuff in a pattern they weren't going to carry anymore at their stores for about $800 out the door with delivery which was about a third of what it cost buying it direct from LazyBoy or in a "real" furniture store.

I picked up 6 kits from Ollie's yesterday. 6 for the price of 2 at a hobby store... maddness. definitely a good deal but dont go in expecting the newest releases from Revell or Round2 LOL!

It's seems most of the stores have the near-exact stock except for a few. I've noticed people on the facebook group getting the 74 Challenger, and the Curtis Midget racer. I'd like to find those as well. I came away yesterday w/ the Lindberg model t pickup 3n1, 64 Ramcharger dodge 330, 71 Mustang, and Revell 37 Ford sedan Classic cruiser, 62 Impala 2n1, and 70 superbird.

May go back for another superbird and ramcharger dodge.

I kinda wonder where all this stuff came form? It looks like a distributor rather than direct form the manufacture. With a mix of AMT, Revell, Monogram, Lindberg and Minicraft and the quantity to send this much to each store....seems like a bigger distributor.

Slot cars for $15 is a decent deal.

Still looking for any one who's store has Lionel Trains at their store as the ad stated.

I kinda wonder where all this stuff came form? It looks like a distributor rather than direct form the manufacture. With a mix of AMT, Revell, Monogram, Lindberg and Minicraft and the quantity to send this much to each store....seems like a bigger distributor.

Slot cars for $15 is a decent deal.

I was thinking that too. And who would be big enough to shed that much inventory? The Lindberg stuff could be the tail end of that hoard from 3-4 years ago. I've seen dribs and drabs of that in my local Ollies ever since.

Ollies plays up that 'distressed merchandise' song and dance. Back 3-4 years ago when they had the Lindberg hoard, their ads said it was from a warehouse fire. Many of us knew better, that Lindberg had over produced and sold off the warehouse inventory when they were trying to raise capital. And it would've been strange that a fire would just consume the desirable kits and leave the least desirable kits undamaged! :P

Big Lots went upmarket several years ago. You can buy furniture and beds and stuff from them, we got our sectional sofa and matching recliner there about 5 years ago, all LazyBoy stuff in a pattern they weren't going to carry anymore at their stores for about $800 out the door with delivery which was about a third of what it cost buying it direct from LazyBoy or in a "real" furniture store.

Exactly. Big Lots/Odd Lots buying distressed merchandise does not mean they buy junk all the time--rather it's factory overruns, leftover stock from wholesalers, large retailers, discontinued or out-of-season/last year's new stuff.

Art

Did my trek to Ollie's.

kits that I saw: Lindberg 38 ford custom, Dodge Dakota, 48 Lincoln, Dodge ramcharger,

the corvette, 65 shelby mustang, 68 camaro, 62 chevy impala, 72 dodge, sprint car, 55 chevy

1/6th MG and 3 wheel car,

Star war double kits

klingon tin box,

the Lionel was the Hersey toy train

and barnabus figure

planes b24 and f18 hornet

The AMT slot cars were interesting bodies, olds 442 chevy and 61 ford hardtop

I got a Dakota and the Curtis car

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1

Did my trek to Ollie's.

kits that I saw: Lindberg 38 ford custom, Dodge Dakota, 48 Lincoln, Dodge ramcharger,

the corvette, 65 shelby mustang, 68 camaro, 62 chevy impala, 72 dodge, sprint car, 55 chevy

1/6th MG and 3 wheel car,

Star war double kits

klingon tin box,

the Lionel was the Hersey toy train

and barnabus figure

planes b24 and f18 hornet

The AMT slot cars were interesting bodies, olds 442 chevy and 61 ford hardtop

I got a Dakota and the Curtis car

greg

IIRC the double Star Wars item was the Toy vehicles for the 3 3/4" figures.

Ours also had a TON of the Strange Change Mummy and Vampire kits......not big sellers???

Maybe a 100+ 1/144 scale plane kits!

I just got back from Ollie's..

Bought the Revell '62 2n1 chevy kit, the '69 Baldwin Motion Camaro kit.. The Hawaiian Charger funny car kit, the monogram '66 gt-350 pony kit for 7.99 each.

Also got me an amt '57 Belair slot car kit for 14.99

I'll leave that one sealed for now..

I can't believe these prices.. :rolleyes::)

I just got back from Ollie's..

Bought the Revell '62 2n1 chevy kit, the '69 Baldwin Motion Camaro kit.. The Hawaiian Charger funny car kit, the monogram '66 gt-350 pony kit for 7.99 each.

Also got me an amt '57 Belair slot car kit for 14.99

I'll leave that one sealed for now..

I can't believe these prices.. :rolleyes::)

Some good stuff on that list--definitely worth a drive over there. I better take the credit card. :blink:

I picked up two Ramcharger kits, the 37 Ford convert and a 27 Ford 5 window tall T all from Lindberg. I was tempted by the Lindberg 62 Chevy and 55 Chevy. $7.99 each. May go back for the 62, but my kit supply is getting pretty big. Need to get to work.