Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any of you guys convert a static body to slot racing?

philo426

• 3 weeks later...

Next Hardbody Series Race:

February 7, 2015

Track opens at Noon Central Time

Mid-America Raceway and Hobbies

109 1/2 W Monroe St,

Bloomington, Illinois 61701

Classes:

Pony Stock Hardbody

Super Stock Hardbody

Run what you brung Flexi if there is interest

Photos from the Jan 31st Race

Brian Meharry's Mercury Cyclone:

post-178-0-29214700-1422939999_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-62875600-1422940001_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-27151700-1422940003_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-32350800-1422939998_thumb.jpg

Rick Stagen's Fairgrounds Special Galaxie:

post-178-0-25345200-1422940257_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-06410400-1422940259_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-56976000-1422940255_thumb.jpg

post-178-0-89212700-1422940253_thumb.jpg

Edited by MG Brown

• 6 months later...

ive done this a few times and am working on making an old snake and mongoose cuda and duster body into a nice pair of drag slot cars, so far for my hardbodies ive got a 70 superbird, a 2009 challenger, and a 64 max wedge plymouth. dont have my camera on me :(

side note: anybody know where to get some nice snake decals, 40 year old ones dont work too well.

• 3 weeks later...

Been doin' just that since the early-mid 1980's for commercial and club track racing with 1/24-25 scale models. First with cut and "stretched" womp chassis, then later on with the Parma FCR chassis when they became available. Almost always with some type of 16D power. We'll have to see about the availability of the Parma 16D series of motor in the future, but there are many alternatives out there to run in place of the 16D can.

I'm pretty much done with the lexan bodied stuff, and ran my last USRA GP27 "wing car" race back in 1977. I have some older Flexi and Womp builds that are used for recreational running, but they haven't been actively raced for years. I do run the Reality Modified type of cars in club races, along with the FCR hardbody classes.

The possibilities of builds using the model kit bodies are so varied, and kits are still being released every month or so. Build them right, and they can be fairly durable. Look at all the fun everyone who has posted photos here is having!

Enjoy -- Ernie :>)

• 1 month later...

i took a 1/32 snap fit 70 Ford Mustang body (yellow) and placed it on a Carrera 67 Mustang chassis, and it fit perfectly. as though snap kit was meant for slotting. ran it around the track several times for handling, and it did great.

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

• 2 months later...

Hey, gang!   

Any of you slot car racers who like to create beautiful slot cars, if you are anywhere near Phoenix on April 9, 2016, you need to bring your prides and joys to DESERT SCALE CLASSIC Model Car and Slot Car Championship!   We are inaugurating two - count 'em, two - concours classes exclusively for slot cars.  We'll present awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each class - one for straightline (drags, etc.) slot cars and one for circuit track slot cars.

Awards for both classes sponsored by Slot Cars Magazine.

DSC12 Flyer 12232015.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

By the mid-1950s, NASCAR was successful primarily in the South and had a presence on the West coast, too. Bill France sought expansion in the Midwest, where a series, Circuit of Champions All Stars, an all-convertible car division was popular. France purchased the entire series to run NASCAR-sanctioned convertible races as a companion division to the hardtop Grand Nationals.

Convertible racing was a smashing success from the start. Fans were fascinated by the idea of being able to see the driver working the steering wheel inside the car, and the Convertible races began to draw big crowds.

In 1959 Thunderbirds were allowed to run in Grand National races. Holman-Moody built and sold 5 ‘birds for Grand National racing; a couple of owners developed their T-Birds as “Zipper-tops,” with removable roofs so the same car could race in both the Convertible and Grand National Divisions.

From my 21st century perspective I’m continuously amazed how little of any safety standards in motor sports was applied, and NASCAR’s convertible Division certainly demonstrated the lack of even rudimentary safety devices – bare, flimsy roll bars, no driver harnesses, or in some cases not even seat belts. T shirts and polo shirts were de rigueur as noted with my short sleeved driver figure.  In some cars the front and rear passenger seats were retained. My ’59 T-Bird nicely illustrates ‘50s vintage safety standards.

Body from a Monogram 1/24th Thunder Bird mounted on an H&R chassis powered by a Parma Death Start motor. Raced at Pelican Park Speedway, Eugene, Oregon, a club featuring possibly the only fully landscaped slot car track dedicated to 1/24th scale. Since 1987 we members are racing  dozens of accurately modeled 1/24 slot cars, with bodies assembled from plastic and resin kits mounted on custom, scratch built chassis powered by Parma and Pro-Slot strictly stock unmodified motors.

59%20Zipperbird%20rt%20side%20no%20top_z

59%20Zipperbird%20rt%20side%20top_zpsmzc

59%20Zipperbird%20L%20side%20top_edited-

59%20Zipperbird%20rear%20no%20top_zpsmgm

59%20Zipperbird%20rear%20view%20showing%

59%20Zipperbird%20top%20on%20rear%20view

Edited by n9949y