Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Guilty Pleasures" Kits?

MVW, I love your Sting Ray collection! I'm trying to put together a full set of '63 to '67s myself, coupes and roadsters both. I especially like your '66. Great color, and the wheel covers that year were beautiful. Can hardly wait to build mine, but I've got some other things on my plate to get to first.

Thanks Snake, That's about all my guilty pleasure kits for now. The only other I can think of is collecting way too many unbuilt kits. I have multiples of many of them. I just hope time doesn't run out for me to finish them all. Thanks for starting this thread, I hope others continue to contribute to this.

Thanks Snake, That's about all my guilty pleasure kits for now. The only other I can think of is collecting way too many unbuilt kits. I have multiples of many of them. I just hope time doesn't run out for me to finish them all. Thanks for starting this thread, I hope others continue to contribute to this.

The one body I don't have is a '66 Coupe. I bought one off ebay, a fairly "complete kit" in the box with instructions, but when it came, the body wais actually a '65 for some reason (unless AMT didn't change the bodies between '65 and '66, which I doubt). The rest of the parts in the box seem to be '66. Not a huge deal, I managed to collect more than one '67 Coupe body and I can convert one of those to a '66 by sili-cloning the front fender vents from another '65 or '66 body and grafting them in.

My collection of the JoHan police cars

http://public.fotki.com/GLMFAA1/my-first-album/p1030572.html

http://public.fotki.com/GLMFAA1/my-first-album/p1030573.html

sorry, but some how I am unable to get photos over here from there

The Chevy van is in the pic as it is in a set with the Plmouth

I took the Chevelle wagon roof and made a psuedo station wagon out of the Plymouth

http://public.fotki.com/GLMFAA1/my-first-album/p1030575.html

http://public.fotki.com/GLMFAA1/my-first-album/p1030574.html

greg

Yes the '66 is different from the '65. It has no vents on the side of the top, an egg shell grill, different seats, different side and rear badges and of course different hub caps, which is important to me. Most people like to use custom wheels but, to me the hub caps are what helps identify the model year. Originally I had custom wheels on all my old ones. I even had the rear wheels radiused on the '66 for big slicks. I had frenched tail lights on the '65, that's 3 on each side. I restored them years ago with a set of new quarters and filling the light holes. Lucky I saved all the hub caps. You can't see the hub caps real well in these photos but, it's the best I have right now.DSC06297_zpsdb22ddda.jpgDSC06292_zps4d3f7641.jpgDSC06294_zps669ab68b.jpg

P1030572-vi.jpg

P1030573-vi.jpg

P1030575-vi.jpg

P1030574-vi.jpg

Greg- Here's your photos! Nice models!

It's pretty easy to post Fotki photos here. Go to any of the page links you posted above... On the Fotki page look right above the photo and you'll see the word "Share". Click on it. A menu will appear. The first choice (and the one you want) is : "Image URL for use on other sites:" Right below that is a long line that starts out "http..." That's your photo. Put your mouse over that line of text and it will start to change color. Click on it and it will briefly turn orange. That means you copied the photo address. Now come over to the board.. right above where you post, there's a bunch of icons, one of which looks like a framed picture.. click on that, and a box will come up with "URL" and a box you can input text into below it. Put your mouse there, and right click. That will bring up a menu, look for "Paste". Click on that and the text you copied from Fotki will appear. Click the "OK" below that and your picture will appear in your post.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Yes the '66 is different from the '65. It has no vents on the side of the top, an egg shell grill, different seats, different side and rear badges and of course different hub caps, which is important to me. Most people like to use custom wheels but, to me the hub caps are what helps identify the model year. Originally I had custom wheels on all my old ones. I even had the rear wheels radiused on the '66 for big slicks. I had frenched tail lights on the '65, that's 3 on each side. I restored them years ago with a set of new quarters and filling the light holes. Lucky I saved all the hub caps. You can't see the hub caps real well in these photos but, it's the best I have right now.

Yeah, I know. I have a mint-ish unbuilt '65 complete kit. I think I'm gonna use that '65 body and piece together a '65 and leave the unbuilt kit unbuilt.

For a '66 body, about 20 years ago I bought a builtup original '67 that needed only slight repairs to the body. BUT the original builder had used those fender-exit exhausts, and the glue from those ruined the side vents, so I spliced in the '67 vents from a common MPC reissue. I seem to recall that model had a drag chute on it which messed up the '67 backup light, too, so that body would be perfect to convert back to a '66. The rear deck emblem is the same, that's the main thing.

As far as interior parts, Modelhaus has a lot of stuff available, so what I don't have when I do these 10 models, I'll get from them. Frankly, I'm not gonna get too anal about the interiors, especially on the coupes. Depending on what I can get together, some of my coupes might end up with largely '63 reissue guts. I will try my best to get correct interiors on the roadsters.

One of my eBay purchases was a nice built but unpainted '64 roadster. It's so nice I would just polish out the virgin white plastic EXCEPT the original builder glued the windshield in with about half a tube of glue and there's severe body damage in that whole area. Will have to graft in the Modelhaus patch part for that, sigh. Oh well, I bought that one as part of a lot that included a JoHan '68 Javelin promo and three other models, and the whole lot only cost me $35 plus shipping. And last year I swapped off one of the "other" models for a brand new Revell '66 Impala, so that was a pretty good buy.

I also picked up along the way an original '63 roadster body. Someone had hogged out all four wheel openings, dirt-track style or something, but it still had the movable headlight piece in it. I spent an evening carefully cutting the headlights out and I'm pretty sure I can save that, which makes the rest of the body worth restoring via sili-cloning.

I have just about a complete set of the original '66 roadster optional custom and race parts. I'm gonna build a '66 roadster custom and a '66 road racer using these, though I will probably convert common '63 bodies instead of using original '66s.

I agree with you about the factory wheel covers for the different years. That's the way I'm going to go on the stock builds.

Here's a '67 I bought with the optional van top. I was gonna restore it as the van, but when I disassembled it and got the top off, the body's in good enough shape to restore, including the rear deck emblem. Much too good to chop up to make a van. So that van top is also going on a common '63 reissue body, and the '67 body and interior will get restored to stock.

67VetteSD03.jpg

If you look around at swap meets some of the different year bodys can still be found. I think a lot of collectors over look these AMT bodys because they all pretty much look the same. I would like to have a full collection of the convertibles as well. I always forget about the after market parts available but, I'm kind of cheap that way anyway I know they make some neat Corvette parts. My models just sit on the shelfs and no one ever looks too close at them but, I know they are there.

Here's a '67 I bought with the optional van top. I was gonna restore it as the van, but when I disassembled it and got the top off, the body's in good enough shape to restore, including the rear deck emblem. Much too good to chop up to make a van. So that van top is also going on a common '63 reissue body, and the '67 body and interior will get restored to stock.

67VetteSD03.jpg

Or maybe you could mate it to an XKE to build the hearse from Harold and Maude?

i006262.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• 8 months later...

.........dozens are guilty pleasures, however the AMT modified stockers,,,and the MPC Twister vegas and MPC pro stock vegas would be some that qualify. but most all of the kits I like are from that old school era, and do not come up to todays hi tech standards. glad they don't ..sometimes a simple, easy kit is a real pleasure...and that's nothing to feel guilty about ...love them regardless........the ace..... :P

Edited by AC Norton

Well if I had the funds to...kits/promos,etc. of....

64,66-70 Bonnevilles

66-70 Cadillac Coupe/Sedan DeVilles

71-76 Dodge vans..cargo/custom/window/etc.

65-70 Chrysler 300s/Imperials/Fury/Monaco/Newyorker/Newport.

75 Firebird or TA

60s Station wagons or conversions.

Johan/EX-L snap kits/promos/and promo like kits.

69,71,72,73 Impala/Caprice

campers and motor homes

hearses

1/8th scale TA kit

and others

,,,,,,,,,,,oh, I forgot, the AMT awb funny cars of the nova, falcon, tempest,,,and especially the super boss mustang awb that was reissued last summer. guilty or not guilty, my lawyer can figure that one out, but no matter how many you have,,,its not enough...the ace.... :P

Emmmm. This is mine, in this particular issue (the first). I can't help myself!

http://www.westburymotorsports.com/Revell/1932FordHiBoyStRodRoadsterModel;Kit.jpg

Sorry, that kit's not BAD enough to qualify as a "guilty pleasure." What we're looking for here is BAD kits that you still like building anyway. The Revell '32 Ford is a GOOD kit. Now, if you'd said the AMT one.... B)

Emmmm. This is mine, in this particular issue (the first). I can't help myself!http://www.westburymotorsports.com/Revell/1932FordHiBoyStRodRoadsterModel;Kit.jpg

I agree with Snake on this one (again). That's not a bad kit. It's a great kit. I wouldn't feel guilty by building any of Revell's '32 Fords. They are all great.

Scott